Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
A CMP Auction 1899 Krag (Read 1982 times)
Glashaus
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

A CMP Auction 1899 Krag
Apr 24th, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
I won a CMP auction for a Modified 1899 Krag Carbine last week and it was delivered today. It is kind of neat getting a Krag from the CMP! It is fashioned into a short rifle, like a school gun but with a 1905 front sight. I looked back in the closed auctions and the CMP has auctioned off five Krags in this same configuration over the last year and a half or so,  three were 1899 Krags, one was a 1896 and the other was a 98. The rear sights and handguards were different. It would be interesting to know their history and where the CMP got them.  The one that I got looks to be re blued and has good headspacing and a good bore, I bought it to shoot and it should make a fine shooter. Overall the rifle is pretty clean, some scuffs on the stock but not overly beat up. The stock is broken under the upper band where the size was reduced and where the filler was put into the channel in the wood, that may be a little challenging to repair but I am looking forward to it.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: A CMP Auction 1899 Krag
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 2:43am
Print Post  
That is not a Springfield 1905 front-sight or Springfield Armory workmanship.

It is similar to 'banded' front-sights sold and used by the Stokes Kirk Company in Philadelphia, back in the 1920s and 1930s.

Stokes Kirk and Bannerman's turned out parts guns superficially resembling Armory produced 'School Rifles'. Some of these guns could have gone to movie prop companies or Veterans' organizations.

It would be interesting to know how your Krag came to be in 'CMP hands'?

IP Logged

Littlejohn
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Cool looking rifle no matter where it came from. I'd like to set mine up that way.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 10:13am
Print Post  
My guess on modifications is VFW/American Legion rifle that was locally modified and eventually returned-exchanged for newer model rifles

IP Logged

Glashaus
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 11:44am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Apr 25th, 2018 at 2:43am:
That is not a Springfield 1905 front-sight or Springfield Armory workmanship.

It is similar to 'banded' front-sights sold and used by the Stokes Kirk Company in Philadelphia, back in the 1920s and 1930s.

Stokes Kirk and Bannerman's turned out parts guns superficially resembling Armory produced 'School Rifles'. Some of these guns could have gone to movie prop companies or Veterans' organizations.

It would be interesting to know how your Krag came to be in 'CMP hands'?

Yep, I should have said 1905 style sight, like I said, the CMP has sold a half dozen of these Krags in the same configuration over the last year and a half, I would not be surprised if they have more. I would love to know how the CMP got them as well. They are not terribly banged up like you would see in the conditions of school guns, I would say ex VFW guns, but maybe that had been stored somewhere for awhile. I know that I paid a premium for it from the CMP, but having a Krag with a CMP certificate is kind of neat.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint