Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Mystery Striker - possible Bannerman (Read 977 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Mystery Striker - possible Bannerman
Apr 29th, 2018 at 5:08am
Print Post  
I was 'bottom feeding' at the Michigan Antique Arms show this morning.

I bought an odd striker/bolt sleeve/safety assembly, from out of a junk box, for $5.00. I got the item because it had a perfectly good Krag Safety-Lever attached.

I have been puzzling over what the striker assembly was intended for?

The bolt sleeve is similar to that of a model 1903 Springfield, except, it is not machined for the lock mechanism on the left side. Also, the hole for the shaft of the Safety is smaller in diameter than for a 1903 Safety.

The sleeve has only two position 'dimples' for the spring-loaded detent of the Safety. (The 1903 Safety uses three positions). The 'cocking-piece on this assembly is for a U.S. model 1917 Enfield.

My hunch is that this may be a Bannerman product. In the 1930s they marketed a rifle, cobbled together, from surplus parts of several different rifles. It is sometimes called a "Bannerman model 1937 Springfield".

It is a really scary hybrid. 

This unusual bolt sleeve likely was made from an 'unfinished' 1903 Springfield sleeve. Anyone got other ideas?
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2018 at 12:58pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Mystery Striker - possible Bannerman
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Lt. Col. William S. Brophy's book, "The Springfield 1903 Rifles", has a wealth of 'Stuff' and answers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint