Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Grandfather's Krag (Read 3998 times)
TomNW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Grandfather's Krag
Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Hello. I am a new board member and I'm posting here to see if the knowledgeable folks here can shed some light on this rifle.

A bit of history, because I think things like that are interesting.  My uncle handed this rifle over to me 3 weeks ago.  He is getting up there in age (80) and wanted to be sure the rifle stayed in the family with someone who cares about firearms.  I'm not a military arms collector, but i see how someone could get bit by the bug.

Anyway, he never shot the rifle more than a couple of times.  He was more into old-west competitions and black powder up until about 15 years ago. This was his father's rifle.  He told me that grandpa bought it before he could remember (so before '44), and that he paid "5 dollars" for it. That's the story anyway.  My mother said that she knew nothing of it, except it sat behind the door of their farmhouse in Oregon where she grew up, and she didn't touch it.

The side-cover was drilled for some kind of sight. The sight is gone.  I'll prefer to just replace the cover and get a correct rear-sight (if it won't break the bank). There is also no top wood, but I don't know if it should have it.  Also, my uncle put the Higgens pad on the buttstock before grandpa died.  He did a good job in that he filled the stock so it would fit instead of just cutting away, but it is not period correct.  I've done some careful cleaning, staying away from the abrasives.

In the basic (1 to 2  hours) of "research" I've done on this board, I have no idea if this was born as a carbine or born as a rifle and then cut down.  I guess I can figure it was born in '98 based on the 75754 serial number.

I've taken lots of pictures (link below), including stock and receiver and barrel markings for those of you that are knowledgeable.

Any information would be appreciated. I'd also like to hear people's experienced thoughts on what they would do to this rifle.

Cheers - Thomas

IP Logged

TomNW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Grandfather's Krag
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Here is the link to the pictures:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Cheers- Thomas

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:40am
Print Post  
"TomNW" - Welcome to the KCA Forum. You inherited a nice family heirloom!

All of your main parts are for a U.S. model 1896 carbine.
Krag #75754 was built around September to October, 1897, as a Cavalry Carbine.

Your stock has been heavily sanded, the 'saddle-ring'/sling-bar recess has been filled, and the rubber butt-plate added. It appears your stock could be carefully rehabilitated, (restore original butt-plate and cavalry 'sling-bar'- for about $100 in parts).

You have the correct barrel-band for the 1896 carbine. The 1896 carbine rear-sight is in great demand and hard to find. A loose one will sell for $500 to $600. However, the 1896 rifle rear-sight is the same size and looks similar and only cost around $55 to $65, with screws.

The 1896 carbine has a distinctive hand-guard (top wood) that connects with the barrel-band. Replicas are available for around $70 

Your removable front sight blade looks high to me and may be a rifle blade. The removable blade measures .413" for the rifle and .266" for the carbine).

You can replace your side-plate for about $20-30. You need a model 1896 side-plate. The 1898 plate will not fit.

Tom, you got some good 'bones' there and can use your Krag as is, while slowly hunting parts to restore. Don't refinish the metal or wood of this carbine. Just rub some Linseed Oil on the wood.

This carbine has character and is valuable in its present state. A nice even restoration is the way to go. Don't try to make things look new!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 6:04am
Print Post  
Tom - I am posting some pictures of another member's model 1896 carbine, a carbine sling-bar, the KCA hand-guard "chart"(you need the short one marked '1896C'), and a model 1896 carbine rear-sight.

You can buy a useful reference, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", by Joe Poyer, for about $25 on ebay. Lots of useful info. and pics to increase your knowledge and enjoyment of your heirloom.

The KCA forum is good people. There is a lot of BS about Krags on the internet and a lot of scoundrels sell Krags and misrepresent stuff.

A good source of parts is "Grandpa's Gun Parts" in the KCA Classifieds.

You can go to the KCA main page - by clicking on the News Banner: "VISIT THE KCA WEBSITE" today, (when it appears at the top of this page.) Click on the Tab marked "Photos" and you will find all kinds of interesting stuff!
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2018 at 7:33pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

TomNW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Butlersrangers, thank you for this information.  It is extremely helpful.  I admit I was quite confused on the model types and the parts that should fit.  Your call outs and advice will help me get started.  I'll look into getting the Poyer book.

I measured the front sight this morning.  It is about .413 on the button total height, and rises about .280 or so above the base at its tallest point.  If that does make it a "rifle" blade, is it safe for me to assume that a "rifle" rear sight will still be functional without replacing the blade?  For example, I may just need to increase the elevation on the rear to find my zero at, say, 100 yards?  I'm just not sure how easy it would be to get that pin out.

I will begin the parts-search journey.  I'll start with a side plate and the hand-guard, and most probably a "rifle" sight depending on how my searching goes.

The Higgins pad is hard as a rock.  My uncle says he has the steel butt plate somewhere, but I'm not going to rush into the stock restoration as that is the sort of thing that could go bad in the wrong hands, and I lack wood experience/skills (I'm trying to "do no harm").

I'll report back later when there has been some progress.

Cheers - Thomas

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Nice carbine as a starting point for restoration. The parts are available for doing a lot to restore this to "correct" but it will never be able to be "original". Collectors prefer "original" rifles and carbines but "correct" ones are valuable and collectible too because so few original ones are left to be collected.

I would actually, as stated, stick with the 1896 rifle sight. It will fit your carbine fine if you use the correct screws. I searched hard for an 1896 carbine sight a couple years ago and had no luck except one offer to sell me one for north of $600. I actually found one in an auction that was great and I stole it for a wonderful price because it had been mislabeled and I knew what I was looking for. (see "Search For The ’96 or A Tale of Two Carbines" in the articles section) The advice to learn from this forum and reading Poyer's or other references is invaluable.

So, good luck getting the restoration done. Take your time and you'll be glad you did down the road. Great way to keep a family heirloom alive and well!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Thomas - S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y. has some Krag parts, original and reproduction. They have a catalog that is viewable online. (Ignore their 'reproduction' 1896 carbine rear-sight. It is just a rifle sight that has been altered, ruined & over-priced).

You have the right mind set - it's a family heirloom and do no harm.

The 'high' front blade is not a problem. For 'shooting', correct, as you have stated, by raising the rear-sight elevation.
(I only mentioned it because the blade did not appear to be the carbine version. Possibly, someone put the higher blade on to function properly with the peep sight that was mounted high on the side-plate).

BTW - The front-sight pin is slightly tapered and is driven out 'Left to Right'. It is very hard to find Krag carbine front-sight blades, so I wouldn't mess with it.

I would start out by getting a Krag rifle rear-sight and screws (S&S has repros with the correct thread, .156"X 30TPI. You won't find those at ACO or most gun-shops). Rifle sights and screws show up on ebay, often. (Search: "Krag rifle").

If you have a sight on it, you can enjoy shooting the old family Krag!
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2018 at 4:13pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
It appears to me from your photos that your butt has had wood cut off at the end. Maybe you should look for a surplus stock.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Fred G. - You have to love Thomas' ancestor. He fitted wood patches and used 'filler' to accommodate the butt-pad, rather than 'bubba-cut' the stock.

Someday, if the pad, patches and filler are carefully removed, I think an original butt-plate will fit right back on there.

I like that 'long armed' man that used this Krag!

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Cool! Yes, the stock is a keeper if the wood plugs can be removed.
If two part epoxy was used, then a hot hair dryer will make it pliable again. Two part epoxy will harden again when allowed to cool.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 1:31am
Print Post  
That Butt-Pad may have been done before Epoxy was invented!

IP Logged

TomNW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 2:39am
Print Post  
This is funny.  Yes, I did have some long armed ancestors.  Me, not so much, but grandfather was well over 6' and my uncle was probably 6'6" in his youth when he stood straight.  They both also had very good model building skills (they favored wood airplanes and gliders - many made just from plans or designs in magazines).  I'll ask my uncle if he remembers what kind of adhesive he used - he might remember.

Cheers - Thomas

IP Logged

Suredan
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Adding my .02 cents. This is a beautiful carbine that many Krag aficionados would be proud to own. The family history adds to it in my opinion. Best of luck on restoring it back to its original configuration. Just stay patient and you will find the appropriate parts. I agree that the stock appears to be salvageable. Funny that all of these old warhorses that were once modified into practical hunting rifles are now valued candidates for restoration. Fortunately, your grandfather did not make drastic modifications that would disqualify it or make it impractical the restore. Please continue to post as you progress along on the project.

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
TomNW,

At the risk of a bit of heresy, may I say that it's a beautiful rifle just as it is, and more importantly, it's a piece of your family history in its current state. 

I would find another stock if you wish to "restore" it and keep the original in reserve to be handed down with the rifle.

IP Logged

Suredan
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 5:10am
Print Post  
No offense meant here, but the carbine is missing the rear sight  Embarrassed. So if TomNW plans on shooting it .........

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint