Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Stock removal of my 1894 30-40 Krag (Read 1098 times)
Timewatcher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Stock removal of my 1894 30-40 Krag
Aug 19th, 2018 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Hello,
First time on the site. 
I purchased a 1894 US Springfield 30-40 Krag with a Sportstock. I want to remove the stock to clean it as well as the barrel. The clip (which I presume is a belt clip) at the front of the barrel has a screw that will not come off.  A picture is attached.
Do any of you have a suggestion on how to remove it?  It feels like a very soft metal.
Thank you

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: Stock removal of my 1894 30-40 Krag
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum, timewatcher.  flip the old girl over and give us a good look at the band.  chances are the band is retained on the stock by a brass pin protruding a hair from the same.  I have to remove the screw from the middle band and spread it just enough to clear the pin and slide forward.

Maybe a tiny amount of penetrating oil to get the screw moving?

culpeper

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Stock removal of my 1894 30-40 Krag
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
'Timewatcher' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

I am not sure exactly what part is giving you trouble. Is it the Barrel-Band, near the tip of your Stock's forearm?

If you could post a close and clear photo of the problem, it would 'help the helpers' comprehend.

FWIW - You appear to have a regular Krag barrel-band, (without its sling-swivel).

The band is normally held closed or tensioned with the swivel-screw. The tip of these screws were 'mushroomed' a bit so things didn't get 'loose and lost'.

These screws can normally be removed with a good fitting screw-driver and 'elbow grease'. A solvent or 'Liquid Wrench' can help loosen things by dissolving old dried and hardened grease.

Sometimes it helps to tighten the screw to initiate some movement. Once you get things moving, the screw can usually be removed. The barrel-band is harder steel and will 'reform' the screw threads. (Replacement screws are available, if needed).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint