Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Possible un modified 1892??? (Read 9351 times)
Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Possible un modified 1892???
Aug 11th, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Guys i have had this krag for a few years now and never really looked into them much. But now i think it may be something special. Can you guys help me? Also how do i get my pictures to 768kb? Its not letting me post pictures.

IP Logged

Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Possible un modified 1892???
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Pics

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
So far so good, Jon.  Welcome to the forum.

You have an uncut 1894 stock from what I can see.  Do you have a photo looking down on the rear of the receiver?

As for resizing, Open MSPaint, "save as" a new file name, go to resize and resize in equal per cents on the vertical and the horizontal.  Never work on your original photo.  My camera takes 4 meg sized photos.  I reduce them by fifty percent and save.  Then I check the file size.  If I need to tweak it I just do a couple of percent.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Heres a shot of the rear of the receiver

IP Logged

Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
It has and old repair on the stock that appears to be a very old school gunsmithing technique. Any ideas as far as value? I think i need to update my insurance.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Man, I want you to buy me a lottery ticket.  Your receiver has not been upgraded to 1896.  So you are missing a cleaning rod.

Now for the next round.  Ding Ding Ding  Johnny Donovan what does Jon need to do next?

Well, Culpeper, he needs to pull the side plate off to see if the number 2761 is stamped in it.

Most inportantly is to buy Joe Farmer's Krag book if you want to get up to your arm pits in all things Krag-Jorgensen.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Cheesy

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Side plate matches. I could not find a serial on the bolt but i might not have been looking in the right spots.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:06am
Print Post  
'Jon' - You have a very awesome model 1892 Krag.

Your bolt is a model 1892 bolt. (I don't believe they were numbered).

Your rear sight is the model 1896 with the pronounced 'hump' on the hinge. These sights were a very early update and relatively scarce.

Interesting wrist repair! (Oddly, that is the type of copper-wire reinforce that British Ordnance performed on the forearm of 'Grenade-Launching' Short Magazine Lee-Enfields).

Krag, #2761, was produced around June to September, 1894.

IP Logged

Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Would this be the sight that should be on it?

IP Logged

Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Thank you butlersrangers for the info!!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #10 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 2:28am
Print Post  
There are three places where the serial numbers up to a certain serial number were stamped aside from the receiver.  The side plate, the loading gate and one other hard to remove piece.

Yes the 1894 rear sight would be correct when new.  HOWEVER.  However the Arsenal was dinking with different powders in the mid 90s and changed rifle sights under IRAN (Inspect, Repair as neccessary) and other insanities of the period.  your 96 sight is probably correct from Springfield given the look of your gun.  I would not change any thing on it.

And at 37 dollars they ain't that rare.

Take it from a certain pinhead who tried to make rifles correct.  It is futile.  Sad I am not sure if the screws are the same for both sights.

How did you come about this rifle?  Have you checked and shot it?

culpeper

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 3:24am
Print Post  
'Jon' - I agree with Culpeper, leave the sight alone. Very early on, Springfield Armory changed the sights and replaced the model 1892 sight. Your Krag has an early and scarce sight, that Springfield likely installed.

IMHO - Your Krag is a very interesting 'time-capsule' and should be left intact. Even the wrist repair is interesting and should be left alone.

It would be worthwhile to get a reproduction Cleaning-Rod and it would be neat to have a model 1892 rear-sight, as a conversation piece. Otherwise, Do No Harm!

Thanks for posting your photos and sharing!

(p.s. - I lust for your Krag. It's interesting)!

IP Logged

Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Thanks guys! I bought this rifle a couple years ago from a buddy of mines grandad. The man is a collector from another era. What i mean by that is he got in in the good ol days in the 50s and 60s when all of this surplus stuff was 20 bucks a rifle. I saw this rifle last time i was down there among hundreds more. What drew me to it was the stock repair and the fact i have never owned a krag. He sold it to me that day after i inspected. Last year i tracked down some brass and worked up some reloads using 147 grain m2 ball bullets. The gun shot great. It was a little inaccurate but i believe that is due to the light bullet weight i was using. Needless to say my friends grandpa did not know what he had because i got a heck of a deal. I will be in contact with him soon to let him know he had something special and offer him some more money. What would be a good insurance value for this rifle if you guys dont mind me asking?

IP Logged

Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Would you guys know where to try and track down a cleaning rod? Real or reproduction i would be interested. Also any idea what bayonet and sling would have came on it? I would love to get this rifle back to its original glory.

IP Logged

Jon Waite
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Would you guys know where to try and track down a cleaning rod? Real or reproduction i would be interested. Also any idea what bayonet and sling would have came on it? I would love to get this rifle back to its original glory.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint