Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 New (2019) information on Kraghaus rails. (Read 3768 times)
PeterG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New (2019) information on Kraghaus rails.
Mar 8th, 2019 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Hi.

Kraghaus has been having a terrible time with its website.  We got rid of the Volusion hosting service because it was expensive and very unresponsive.  We had trouble changing our address on our own website!  When they nearly doubled their fees without telling us, that tore it.

We now, finally, after months, have a new, simpler web site up.  the new address is on the web site, along with photos and information about the rails.  Our apologies to those who have had their orders delayed by the confusion over addresses.

Hopefully, all is well now.  Kraghaus.com is the web address.

Thanks all.

Peter in Pittsburgh

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New (2019) information on Kraghaus rails.
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update PeterG!

Wonderful product!!!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
I second that...  Kraghaus rails are perfect! 

Here's my Cast Bullet Rig with a Kraghaus long rail and an LER scope.

IP Logged

Playapat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 5:14am
Print Post  
Nice rig, Paul!....how do I make a thumbs up emoticon?

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I was one of your first customers on ebay Peter, glad to hear from you!  I've been making good use of the short rails, and sold Paul the long one he's shown.

IP Logged

PeterG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Local Boy wrote on Mar 8th, 2019 at 9:00pm:
Thanks for the update PeterG!

Wonderful product!!!

Thank you.  Nothing prompts one to solve a problem better than having the problem himself.   Smiley

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Peter,
In another thread you mentioned the French origin of Krag screws. BR in a very old post alluded to the same. What about the threads do you mean? The number size, the thread pitch or the thread form with the rounded crests and roots?

Curious about that as the 1917 Enfield has the same rounded crest and roots on the threads, which caused me to think it was a British thing.  Krag trigger guard screws have that same 26 TPI on a 1/4 diameter, seems like the Enfield trigger guard screws were 1/4 with 30 TPI pitch.

I just made some screws for flint lock reproductions in 8-32 UNF sizes. The customer bought his own machine to make them but needed some before he got his machine up and running. His machine was compatible so I sent him set up, tooling info, as well as the programs.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
One more question for Butlersrangers. A few years ago you posted a list of screw/thread sizes for all the screws on Krags, did you keep a link location to that post that you can share?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:15am
Print Post  
FredC - The basis of my observations on Krag/U.S. Threads, in that old KCA post, was provided by Mr. Joe Farmer.

IIRC - In a thread on Threads, 'MadFarmers' contributed a 'List of the U.S. Taps & Dies' contained in Ordnance Tool Sets for the 1903 Springfield.

Having noticed some carryover in threads on U.S. Arms, I simply looked at the specifications and matched them to various screws on the U.S. Krag.

(At the time, I was speculating there might be a pre-metric French influence on U.S. Ordnance threads, due to the large number of French Arms we used and copied, during the founding days of U.S. Arsenals).

(Incidentally, It also seems there is some commonality with (non-metric) British Bicycle Threads).

I've long been curious how, seemingly strange, U.S. Ordnance threads came about. I suspect there is a discover-able answer.

It is regrettable that on the KCA Forum there are not "stickies" to make some of these discussions a convenient resource. Also, the 'Search Feature' is poor at locating and finding topics.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2019 at 3:33am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Your long rail works great. Love my Krag Scout.

IP Logged

PeterG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
FredC wrote on Mar 11th, 2019 at 6:48pm:
Peter,
In another thread you mentioned the French origin of Krag screws. BR in a very old post alluded to the same. What about the threads do you mean? The number size, the thread pitch or the thread form with the rounded crests and roots?

Based upon my research, the screws are metric, and of French design.  They are 4 mm. and .01 threads.   There is no advantage I can see (other than if one has an all-original, collectable rifle they want to keep that way) to keeping those troublesome threads on one's gun.

IP Logged

PeterG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Baltimoreed wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:30am:

There are many who scoff at the idea of a Krag "scout" rifle.  They say they are ugly, and "why, when you can use an AR," and so forth.

My view is that the Krag was a fighting rifle to begin with, and has a few features (like the loading gate, ammunition cut-off, and being able to manually thingy it and get a second strike on a stubborn primer) that enhance that function.  It makes a far superior "scout" rifle to any bolt gun that one must laboriously load through the ejection port -- which is all of them other than those with detachable box magazines, and with those one has to keep track of the magazines (in the dark!).   I have used mine in several "practical rifle" courses, and I cleaned up on all the exercises that were designed to run us out of ammunition.

One either "gets" the Krag or they do not.  Nothing is so smooth, and with a 20" barrel they are so handy!   In terms of appearance ... well, I really like my AR's, but they are hardly beautiful, and they are not the right tool for every job. 

To each his own, and may the best man win.

P.S. :  I wrote "manually c-o-c-k," and the machine censors it to "manually thingy."  Thingy??  HA!  Really?   Grin

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
PeterG wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 7:54pm:
FredC wrote on Mar 11th, 2019 at 6:48pm:
Peter,

Based upon my research, the screws are metric, and of French design.  They are 4 mm. and .01 threads.   There is no advantage I can see (other than if one has an all-original, collectable rifle they want to keep that way) to keeping those troublesome threads on one's gun.

Peter, I am going to have to disagree. it looks like the metric dimensions will be closer to 4mm diameter by .84 pitch. The od of the Krag screw is .164 compared to .157 inches for a 4mm screw. Enough different a metric screw would be sloppy in an original barrel. The mismatch in pitch would make it seem tighter that it really is, but it would be more susceptible to stripping.

In this old thread I did all the measurements of a screw pulled form my dad's original rifle:  (You need to Login to view media files and links)
An 8-32UNC tap would be a closer but not correct match for retapping an original barrel.
I really like the idea of you rails, even made one for myself years ago. Would have bought one of your instead of making one if they were available then and I had known of them.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
PeterG wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 8:00pm:
Baltimoreed wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:30am:

P.S. :  I wrote "manually c-o-c-k," and the machine censors it to "manually thingy."  Thingy??  HA!  Really?   Grin

Fixed the nasty word censor, must have got lost in the last up date!! Go ahead and cock your Krag

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
"Fixed the nasty word censor, must have got lost in the last up date!! Go ahead and cock your Krag"

Who would have thought of that? Maybe the spell checker will one day learn that Krag is not misspelled.

Any way a photo of the short rail made before I heard of Kraghaus.
Used it with a spindly excuse for a laser. Better lasers are available for night pig hunting now as well as reflex sights for near dark hunting. The Krag with heavier bullets is plenty of medicine for feral hogs.
Shop made screws are on top of the Doctor sight base (but out of focus).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint