Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Stock bedding (Read 1811 times)
SharpsShtr
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Stock bedding
Mar 24th, 2019 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Years ago I bought a stripped action with a cutdown barrel mainly because I got it for next to nothing.  It sat in the basement for a long, long time.

I finally took pity on it and hunted up the parts to put it back together as a functioning firearm.  Most of the parts are original, the barrel is a new Criterion, and the stock/handguard is a new unfinished one.  This firearm has no collectors value beyond the fact that I love Krags.  It won't be sold or passed off as an original.

So with that said, I've noticed on a number of original stocks that there is crackling around the back of the magazine area or in the wrist.  Would either bedding the stock or pillar bedding the screws yield any benefits in the terms of either longevity or accuracy?

Thanks for any help or comments.

Matt

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Stock bedding
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 3:42am
Print Post  
Matt: 'glass bedding' or 'pillar bedding' a U.S. Krag stock would likely disqualify the rifle from "Match-Shooting" in competitions like the Vintage and Military Matches at Camp Perry.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 4:24am
Print Post  
SharpsShtr wrote on Mar 24th, 2019 at 7:26pm:
. . . Would either bedding the stock or pillar bedding the screws yield any benefits in the terms of either longevity or accuracy?

Probably not. The US Krag is particularly challenging because the only screws holding down the receiver are located at its stern - immediately aft of a very thin section of walnut. Consequently, forestock stability is almost totally dependent on the barrel bands.

Norwegian Krags feature an additional action screw at the front of the receiver, a design enhancement reflecting recognition that the arrangement on the US model needed improvement.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Matt
Just curious.  Where did you get the new Krag wood?
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
If you look back in time a few years, you'll find a thread called "Cracked Stock" where I detail how I repaired my stock, which had cracked from the mag well rearward through the wrist.  My repair will most likely outlast all of us!  I shoot this Krag in sanctioned CMP matches all year long too.

IP Logged

SharpsShtr
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Kerz,

I bought it a few years ago when I first started to get serious about reconstructing the rifle. I got the stock from Macon Gunstocks.  They still show them and the handguards as available, though they don't have the metal clips attached to the hanguards nor are they drilled for them.

-> (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Since they didn't have the metal attached, I bought the handguard from East Taylor LLC whose did.  I checked and they unfortunately no longer make them.

psteinmayer,

Found it, thanks for the heads up.

Parashooter,

Any tips on properly torquing the action screws?

Thanks for the help guys.

Matt

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Glass bedding and use in completion has already been mentioned. For a Krag that will never be used in competion, maybe some epoxy behind the magazine box would help distribute the load when firing and help prevent cracking.
As for pillars I do not think they would help. Besides doing pillars on a Krag is exceedingly difficult. I did them on my Krag sporter, but did not document that part of the build. Both screws attach to the surface at a 4 1/2 to 5 degree angle which makes the building and fitting of the pillars tough, then dropping the stock in with the pillars properly spaced so the screws will fit from the trigger guard is the last trick, spent much time working out that last detail.
Along with using a barrel band, it has been mentioned on this forum that one of the 2 trigger guard screws should be tighter than the other I will let the more experienced address that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint