Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Question on value of carbine (Read 3056 times)
King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Question on value of carbine
May 1st, 2019 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Hello: I have a question on how much sling swivels hurt the value of a carbine. I have an opportunity to get a krag carbine. From the knowledge I have gained from this site I think it is a legit carbine. It has had swivels installed at some point. From what I understand there are not many carbines with arsenal installed swivels. Does anyone have an idea what percent of value is affected by the addition of the swivels? Who ever said krag rifles grow on you was telling the truth!
        Thanks, kc

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Question on value of carbine
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2019 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Hi King Carp,

Let me give you a vague answer..."It depends."

I think people are so "Krag Crazy" these days that slings are not much of a big deal except to the purist.

I've purchased a few carbines that are fully legit but have had slings attached at some point.  Both slings were of the "drill-a-hole-and-screw-them-in" type.

I have since removed the slings and filled in the holes.

I believe if I were to sell them today I would still get what I paid if not more!

Bottom line for me was... I liked the carbines, the price was not out of line and I could fill in the sling holes.

IMHO: I believe many carbines were officially inletted for butt stock slings and had barrel bands with sling swivels attached. However you'd have to make the call on that?

Below is one of the sling hole repairs:

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2019 at 4:07am
Print Post  
Hello: Thanks for the reply. I had not thought about plugging the swivel inlet.  That is a nice idea. You did a real nice fix on yours. I will try to work out a deal to get another krag for the collection.   
            Thanks again, kc

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2019 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Many of my Krags, rifles and carbines, have had cracks or chips from the long years of use and possible (choke) abuse.

But, wood is very forgiving and there are many different ways to repair and alter these slightly damaged stocks. I have used good wood glue, wood putty and fillers that I have sanded and stained to come close to match the original color and patina. Make note that changes are made as REPAIRS, not to try to deceive that the piece was never damaged and is original. Repairs are repairs but can be done to look nice and still maintain the "collectible" standard that we milsurp (Krag) collectors demand.

The art of "stretching" a cut-down stock is different. It can be and is done to repair a stock to recreate an original length but it permanently removes that firearm stock from the collectible realm. That's where you need a replacement full length stock for that firearm.

Metal repairs to damaged barrels and receivers, though, are completely different. You can make them but filled holes in a receiver where it may have been tapped for a scope mount are considered "unforgivable" to a true collector. I have passed up many Krags that have had holes drilled in them or alterations to the barrel or sights that are not easily correctable. That's just a reality of this kind of pursuit.

All of this is mute when dealing with the sporterized Krag. Almost anything goes for a sporterized change to a Krag, rifle or carbine. I am not a fan of collecting those Krags (although I have two nice ones) but many people are as evidence by the KCA forum category of these firearms. Many are quite artistic and accurate.

So enjoy your Krag in whatever way you can!

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2019 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Hello: Thanks for your reply. I guess I can try for a little reduction in price because of the modification. I do like the military versions better than the sporterized krag rifles.  Although I have seen some very nice spotrters at the shows.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Since some carbines were officially altered to have sling swivels, I would be reluctant to remove a swivel and patch this stock area, if the swivel is decently installed on a Krag carbine.
(IMHO - Butt-swivel 'patches' are usually very obvious and an even bigger negative factor. It is better to leave the Krag butt-swivel in place).

IIRC - Kits were sent out by Springfield Armory so this modification could be done by Armorers in the 'Field'. (I imagine there was some variation in swivel placement and workmanship).

In terms of placing a 'value' on such a Krag carbine, that is always very subjective, (from collector to collector), and greatly related to the carbine's overall appeal.

Patching 'unauthorized' wood holes and repairing cracks, gouges, missing wood and stock damage is 'OK', in my book, but, it should always be pointed out if you are selling the arm.
"Repairs" always influence collector value.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2019 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
I do not have detailed photos. Just this one pic. I think we have made a deal. If I get it I will have more detailed photos. I think it is worth ppursuing. Thanks for everyone's help.

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 1st, 2019 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
I have a similar sounding carbine that I bought and believe may be an Engineer Carbine. It’s tough to tell from the one photo, but it looks like yours could also be an engineer carbine. The rear sling should be inlet rather than screwed on top of the stock and the front band would be a rifle band rather than many sporterized Krags that screwed a swivel in front of the band. A previous member provided some additional information regarding the engineer carbine and the approved rework for active Krags in the field. If it is an engineer carbine, there was a special sling that would have gone with it that differs from the standard sling.

Mike

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 1st, 2019 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your post. Do you know if there was a serial no. Range of these conversions or were they random carbines that were converted. It seems like there would be quite a few of these carbines around. Not all units were mounted with scabbards for carrying. Is that an original sling on your carbine?

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 1st, 2019 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
It is an original engineer sling, but not original to the carbine. It is an RA sling dated 1903. I’ve seen two in the last year listed on eBay. Both were listed incorrectly. One was listed as a trapdoor sling and the other simply as a Krag. I’ve also attached some information that was given to me on this forum regarding the engineer sling. Both articles were taken from Mallory's "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition.

Mike

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 1st, 2019 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Thank you for sharing the info and pictures. I will try to find  a sling once I get my carbine. It does not look like an easy find. That's a nice looking carbine you have. The sling looks right at home on it!
      Thanks again, kc

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 1st, 2019 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks and congratulations on your new carbine. It will be nice to see some more photos and details. As for serial numbers ranges that were engineers, I am not aware of there being a specific range of serial numbers. If you post your serial number, other members can comment more with regards to when it was made and whether it is a known number. As for mine, 279965, I’ve been told it’s in good company, but no specific mention. Good luck!

Mike

IP Logged

cquickel
KCA Forum Member

Krag Lover

Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
You mind if I add your rifle to the KCA serial number database?

Curt Quickel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint