Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Boxer rebellion krag? (Read 3173 times)
King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Boxer rebellion krag?
May 13th, 2019 at 4:39am
Print Post  
Hello: I know you should not buy the story of a rifle. I recently looked at a krag rifle who's owner claimed was used by our troops during the boxer rebellion. Are there any known such rifles?.  I said I would check with the experts at the forum for him. The serial no. Is 239927. He says it has been in the family and that is the story that was passed down with it. I remember the movie "55 days at peking" with Charlton Heston. But cannot remember if they used krags in the movie. Must be my CRS. Thanks, kc.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Boxer rebellion krag?
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Offhand, I do not know of any documented rifles, but I have a carbine (70210) used by troop "L" of the 6th US Cav, at the siege of Peking. There are about 50 others with the same SRS citation - worth looking for!

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:14am
Print Post  
No hits in Mallory's 'Serial Numbers Of Known U.S. Krags'.

Poyer's book list it's possible manufacture date between Nov-Dec 1898.

Boxer Rebellion occurred between 1899-1901.

Open to speculation if it was used against the Boxers during the Boxer Uprising.

It would be interesting to know the former owner's name and to do an archive research to find out if that individual had participated in the Boxer Rebellion...on the American side of course.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Firearms used in the movie '55 Days at Peking':

Regardless...cool bit of family history associated with that Krag!!! 
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2019 at 5:17am by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2019 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the great article on the  boxer rebellion. I will pass it on to the owner of the rifle. I found a movie still on the internet from the movie 55 days at Peking. It showed the U.S. troops armed with Lee Enfield mk.1 rifles! There must have been a shortage of krags in the prop department.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2019 at 2:36am
Print Post  
I had a great grandfather who fought in the Boxer Rebellion. He was in Company I of the 14th Infantry Regiment and I have done some research on him. General Arthur MacArthur (father of General Douglas MacArthur) ordered that new Model 1898 Krag Jorgensens be given to the troops. They were fighting with seven other nations and had to look their best. It was July of 1900 when they left the Philippines for China, so the rifles for the 14th Reg. would have been manufactured before that date. I have not found any serial numbers as of yet that were issued for this expedition. He was a bugler and one of my uncles has his bugle in his possession. I have yet to see it as he is now in Florida.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2019 at 4:08am
Print Post  
It was a real interesting part of U.S. and world history. Kind of a precursor to the U.N.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2019 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
King Carp, here is some more Boxer Rebellion from an earlier post on this forum.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2019 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Thank you. It is really great that you have a record of your great grand father's service to our country. What an adventure that must have been for him. I have told the owners of the krag rifle about checking for a relative who might have served in China. They do not seem too excited about it. To each his own I guess. They are not military collectors. The rifle is just something they inherited at some point.
          Thanks again, kc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint