Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 My New Krag Rifle Questions (Read 7209 times)
BarrelBaggins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

My New Krag Rifle Questions
Jul 4th, 2019 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Hello!
I am new to this forum and figured I would ask you guys some questions since you have more experience with Krags than I do. I am not sure what these markings mean. I know The P is a proof mark but everything else I am unsure of. I will post more pictures of the rifle also.

IP Logged

BarrelBaggins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My New Krag Rifle Questions
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Here are more pictures

IP Logged

BarrelBaggins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 1:04am
Print Post  
I can’t find anything online about the markings except for the initials and there should be a date under them for the year the rifle was made (1899).

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Barrel- Welcome to the Krag Collector's Association. You have found a friendly place to learn about Krags and anything else we might pretend to know about!

You have a very nice looking Model 1898 Krag rifle there. Thanks for the good pictures you posted. It looks like your rifle has its full length military stock that may or may not be original to this rifle but is correct for this Krag. It has been refinished at some point and the "cartouche" on the left side below the receiver has been worn away with the refinishing. It is a stamping of the date of approval of the rifle it was made for originally with the initials JSA which stand for the assistant armory foreman of that time John Sumner Adams. Many Krag stocks have this totally missing so you have a remnant of it at least. It's hard to read the original date from the picture you posted.

The Model 1898 serial number 200920, if I'm reading it correctly, was possibly made in late 1899, but I don't have the exact dates. Other posters may give a better estimate than me.

These rifles were made at Springfield Armory, as marked on the receiver. The "P" is a proof marking. The other marks I am unfamiliar with and have been debated here before. Some may represent simply production marks.

You have a Model 1901 rear sight which may have been original for your rifle also. The front sight looks correct. The barrel bands look correct. Is there anything in the butt trap under the metal cover? This is where the three piece cleaning rods and oiler are stored.

You may have an original sling on your rifle. That's a great thing because that adds about $100 to the value and it makes it much more appropriate for a military collectible to have a period sling. I can't see it all but it looks good.

The rifle takes 30-40 Krag ammunition which is still available but a little pricey. Many of us shoot factory loads and keep the brass to reload. Reloading is a great hobby with shooting and collecting the Krags.

Thanks for sharing!!

IP Logged

BarrelBaggins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Sorry for the blurry picture. The serial number is 200999. There was nothing in the stock. Tomorrow I can take a better full length picture of the rifle and sling. How would I be able to tell if it’s an original sling?

IP Logged

BarrelBaggins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 1:26am
Print Post  
These might be better quality pictures of the markings.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 2:22am
Print Post  
Just take pictures of the sling and get an approximate length. We can make a guess with good pictures. The additional markings you are asking about are essentially irrelevant with regard to the general history and verification of the correctness of your Krag. There have been discussions about the markings, comparisons of many of them but few conclusions.

Others may add to this discussion but the main points I've discussed are most of what's important.

Forgot to ask about the condition of the bore. Very important in determining a good overall value. Krags with poor bores can be excellent shooters but most of us would like to have one with a good, mostly unpitted, bore.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:45am
Print Post  
'BarrelBaggins' - Welcome to the KCA Forum ... Nice looking Krag!

Your Krag, #200999, was originally assembled around May, 1899.

It is likely your Krag was refurbished at some point of time at Springfield Armory or at a U.S. Arsenal.

Stocks were skillfully scraped to remove minor blemishes and Linseed Oil applied. This might explain faintness of the markings.

When taken apart to restore appearance of serviceable parts, Krags were reassembled from a mixture of good parts, not likely the same parts they first wore.

As 'Whig' reported, the initials in the "Acceptance Cartouche" are J.S.A. in a fancy script; this actually stands for Joseph Sumner Adams.

The mark in front of your trigger-guard appears to be an 'eagle head' with letters under it, which I think is likely an inspection stamp from the WW1 period.

Attached is your photo, a similar mark on an Eddystone Model of 1917 rifle (Enfield), and a similar mark over 'JG' on another Krag.

IP Logged

BarrelBaggins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 10:57am
Print Post  
So does that mean there’s a possibility that it was refurbished during WW1?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
You don't see that 'Eagle Stamp' very often on Krags and I don't believe its significance is exactly known.

(It or a variation is found often on Model 1917 rifles, both wood and receiver. It is considered an inspection & proof stamp).

Your rifle was likely - inspected and repaired as needed - sometime between 1904 and 1917, (maybe multiple times).

Krags were in use by some regular troops until around 1907-08. The national guard used them until around 1913-14.

During WW1, Krags were widely used as training rifles.

The US Navy had Krags on some ships maybe into WW2.

Krags were seeing some VFW use into the 1960's.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!  I must warn you... Krags are very addicting!

You appear to have a very nice Krag there.  I can't add anything more than Whig or Butlersrangers have already told you.  As for the sling, there are several that would be correct.  The later Trapdoor sling would have been originally used.  However, the 1907 sling is also correct, as they were used after the sling's adoption.  If you intend on shooting it in Vintage Rifle Matches, such as the Roosevelt Commemorative Match at Camp Perry, then the 1907 is the best choice for position shooting.  However, I would recommend that you get a new sling from Turner Saddlery, or one of the other manufacturers.  Using an original can result in damage to the sling from the stress (I know... I did this and ruined one).  Also, although not period correct, the M1 web sling used on the Garand is also acceptable for match shooting (my son prefers this sling, while I use a Turner 50" 1907 reproduction).

Enjoy the Krag and happy shooting!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Paul, were original period Krag slings 64 inches in length? I have some slings I got on my Krags but don't know much about original ones and subsequent issued slings. If you are using your 50 inch sling for competition, are you wrapping it around your left fore arm? I would think 50 inches would be too short for that.

Thanks for the correction about JSA. Shows what a quick answer when there are distractions at the office will do!

IP Logged

BarrelBaggins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Here are the best I could do pictures of the bore

IP Logged

BarrelBaggins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Here are pictures of the sling. The sling is 70in long.

IP Logged

BarrelBaggins
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Here’s a picture of the whole rifle both sides. Also an admin number that came on the rifle. The other picture is of one of the barrel bands with a U mark.

The rifle barrel measures out at 30in and the whole rifle itself approx 49in.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint