Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
"Shortened" Krag on Gun Broker (Read 2038 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

"Shortened" Krag on Gun Broker
Jul 7th, 2019 at 2:22am
Print Post  
I saw this shortened barrel M1984 Krag rifle on Gun Broker and was intrigued. It might be an interesting rifle to add to a collection but I am not interested now.

The barrel has been shortened to 24 inches by, apparently, cutting a section of the original 30 inch barrel out from behind the front sight and skillfully welding the front piece back on so as to preserve the front sight completely. You can see the weld mark but the job looks extremely good. I'd love to examine the bore at that point with my bore scope and see how good it looks inside.

I haven't seen this job before. I wonder if CMP would have done it or someone else?

Anyone seen this before?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: "Shortened" Krag on Gun Broker
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 3:54am
Print Post  
I have a hunch on how this was done and it is not by a U.S. Arsenal or Armory.

Maybe a gunsmith did the modification for a VFW Post, but, that is just speculation.

My guess is that someone with machinery and skill cut the barrel to 24 inches. The stock was cut to the correct length to accept a bayonet and inletted to take the front barrel-band.

A 'step' was lathe turned at the new muzzle of the shortened barrel.

The barrel section with front-sight, that was 'cut-off', was bored out and cut to length to be a 'sleeve'.

This 'sight-sleeve' was positioned on the 'stepped-muzzle' and silver soldered in place. The barrel and sleeve were re-crowned together.

The shortened barrel-assembly was turned in a lathe to change and blend the contour from the rear of the 'sight-sleeve' to the front or rear of the front barrel-band. (The front band may have been stretched to fit a larger barrel diameter).

The bare metal from contouring was re-blued.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2019 at 1:20pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 12:27am
Print Post  
That’s a nice job. A lot of work though.

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Recently I read an article in an older publication that indicated some Krag rifles were used for a federal program known as the bank robbery defense program. Basically after WWI surplus weapons were distributed by the fed and FBI to discourage robbery attempts by having the weapons distributed to the banks themselves as well as surrounding business to dissuade robbers from making attempts. The article indicated that the weapons would not be centralized to one location but to others others in the nearby area to create the idea of greater intimidation.
I wonder if this could be a source for some of the Krag rifles that were cut done in a skillful manner to reduce the overall length for easier indoors handling/storage but still also retain all the original parts such as the front bands to not compromise the original design characteristics.
The author suggested the fed in Indiana was known to participate in the program supplying Krags and SW m1917 revolvers to mostly rural banks, south of Chicago.
Noted examples were bank of Pierre Indiana, three Krags and three 45 cal revolvers, north Judson three Krags and two revolvers, Bank of Brook three rifles and five revolvers Waveland, Winimac one revolver for each teller and no rifles, other arms were distributed to nearby business's postal agents etc and so on.
Just a thought for a possible explanation for so many rifles that were skillfully cut down maybe by outsourced smiths to support the program.
I have not been able to find any more information regarding the matter at this time but found the information very interesting and a potential possibility regarding cut down rifles. Maybe someone is more informed on the subject or has heard of this before.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint