Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1896 Carbine help? (Read 1519 times)
BrentI
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Carbine help?
Aug 20th, 2019 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Hi, folks. I need some help with this.   I picked this up at an auction for pretty cheap but I can't figure out whats going on with this one.  It's in a nice 1899 replacement stock that has sling swivels added. I've read that they sent kits to armorers to add them later after 1901...? The front sight base is different looking (and yes, that is a lyman blade). It has a rifle rear sight.   The serial number is 74089 which falls into carbine block for 1897. Any help is appreciated

IP Logged

BrentI
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Carbine help?
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
receiver pic

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Is there a "C" stamped on your rear sight? Show a picture if you can.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
"BrentI" - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your model 1896 Krag has a serial number that is certainly accompanied by a lot of carbines, but, also some rifles.

Your stock and hand-guard are definitely carbine.

Your barrel should measure exactly 22 inches, (measured with a cleaning-rod), from muzzle crown to closed bolt-face, to have any possibility of being a carbine barrel.

Your front-sight base has either been 're-shaped', (if original carbine), or it is an improvised base on an altered barrel.

A clear and well lit photo can reveal the origin of your sight base. Springfield Armory fitting and brazing of the front-sight is subtle, but, detectable to a trained eye.

IMHO - Your posted photograph is too vague to judge anything.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Welcome to KCA. It's great to have acquired a nice Krag that appears to be a carbine but the jury is still out on that pending more pictures.

Can you take a top down picture of the rear sight also? How is the bore? Is there anything in the butt of the stock under the spring loaded door? This is where cleaning rods and an oiler can be stored.

Also please show us the bolt and inside of the receiver. These pictures help to better understand what may have been done to your Krag if it is not an original carbine. The length of the barrel and front sight are important to figure out to see if it is a true carbine.

Do you know more of the history of your Krag?

Thanks and we hope we can help you get the most enjoyment out of your new toy.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Also, I checked the Springfield Research Service manuals and your Krag serial number 74089 is not listed as a known and documented Krag. Some people want to know if there is a "hit" with their serial number. That doesn't mean your Krag was not used by a soldier in one of the many wars Krags were used in but it is not documented as such.

Many Krags - rifles, carbines, altered, cut down or sporterized, are still very good shooting firearms and can be enjoyed for hunting or target shooting. Most of us reload the 30-40 Krag brass and enjoy shooting away as much as possible. It's surprising but these Krags, even though they are 120+ years old, have a lot of life left in them!

IP Logged

BrentI
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Yeah, I don't know what is up with my camera, but here is a few more.  The rear sight was swapped out at some point cause the screws are kinda buggered up, but it's been on there a long time. There is a 3 piece cleaning rod set and oiler in the stock.  I only paid $300 so I took a chance.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 12:56am
Print Post  
That would be a rifle rear sight. You did not take a hurt at $300. In fact, you did above average.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Yes, you got a great deal no matter what. Good buy.

The rear sight is indeed an M1896 Krag rifle sight. Nothing wrong with that sight. It shoots well and looks nice but doesn't have windage adjustment. The front sight base looks bizarre. It is dove tailed but doesn't look like Springfield Armory did it. Need others' opinions. (I might be misinterpreting the picture.)

The receiver picture is a little hard to see but the chamber looks fine. The cleaning rods and oiler, if correct, usually sell for around $50 as a set. Nice to have those.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 1:27am
Print Post  
IMHO - The barrel muzzle 'crown' is neatly done, but, not Springfield Armory work.

The front-sight base is a Krag base that has been 're-shaped' and apparently fitted and soldered on a new 'flat' or dovetail, filed or machined into a likely cut-down rifle barrel. (Once again, not SA work)

BTW - Your stock and hand-guard are worth more than you paid for the entire 'replica' carbine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint