Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Need Advice - 1899 Krag Carbine - Pics attached (Read 2131 times)
charlie1511
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Need Advice - 1899 Krag Carbine - Pics attached
Sep 15th, 2019 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
I need advice from the experts.

I have a chance to purchase a 1899 Krag Carbine and need opinions on whether this piece is worth the $400 I offered. The Carbine came out of a collection and a friend at work is selling them for the widow of the former owner. I made the offer sight unseen, I wanted to be fair and need to know if this is worth a lot more than what I offered. I now have the Carbine to inspect.

I may be wrong about some of this, but from what I can see the stock has been sanded and varnished. The rear sight base is a 1901 carbine base, but someone replaced the rear sight ladder and sight with a rear sight ladder from a 1903 Springfield. The barrel measures 22" from the closed bolt using a cleaning rod, and the front sight blade has been modified, but is stamped with a "c". Also the front hand guard has a crack, not visible, but it is there. Bore is strong and sharp, with some minor pitting.

Please help. Any thoughts from the experts would be appreciated. How difficult would it be to find a proper 1901 Carbine ladder and sliding sight. Do I even have a 1899 Carbine.

I know this does not have much collector value, but I would like to at least restore the rear sight so I can shoot it.

Hope my pics turned out, it was very sunny and bright today and I was in a rush. If anyone needs more pics let me know.

Thanks for looking

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2019 at 6:16pm by charlie1511 »  

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Need Advice - 1899 Krag Carbine
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
I am not an expert, maybe an intermediate. But I'd pay $400. Then again, if it was auctioned it would likely go for a few hundred dollars more. It does have some strikes against it, but it still has a lot going for it. Yes, the stock does appear refinished. But the cartouche and proof mark are still visible to some degree. The front sight is likely original, although somebody "brazed"  a bead of brass on it. Not sure I would touch it. If you can find whatever is missing on the rear sight you will be ahead of the game and have a good representative of a carbine.
Somebody else will likely check your serial number to confirm that it is an 1899 carbine, but it looks like a sure bet. If it was me I would give them the few hundred dollars more and I think everybody would be happy. That is just an opinion and again I am no way an expert.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Need Advice - 1899 Krag Carbine
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
I agree with Knute for his comments mostly. The receiver is marked Model 1899 which means it did start life as a carbine and looks to have an authentic 22" carbine barrel and original front sight base.

Some of the receiver metal from your pictures almost looks painted black. It is not the original finish. Look around the top part of the magazine door and under the left side plate screw. It may have been reblued- it's hard to tell from the pictures. The metal is rusted in a few areas where the "paint" or refinish did not take well, it appears.

The rear sight is a big problem because it's harder (not impossible) to find just the 1901 carbine slide than to just replace the whole thing, which will cost around $200-250. The stock as stated above is refinished but looks rather nice. The brazed front sight blade is fine and I'd also leave it alone.

But, since there is only a small collector's value (I wouldn't invest in it as a carbine but some would) I would be satisfied with the exchange of $400 for this Krag carbine. To fix it some, it will cost and you can't return the stock and metal refinish to normal.

It would likely fit into the "shooter" category or collector piece for someone wanting to start a Krag collection of fill a hole with a somewhat valuable carbine.

A collector M1899 carbine in unaltered military condition will cost upwards of $1500. They are available on Gun Broker and auctions. Better condition ones have recently sold for over $2000.

You're fine with the $400 unless you feel guilty and want to give some more of your money to your friend.

IP Logged

charlie1511
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Need Advice - 1899 Krag Carbine - Pics attached
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the help.

I know it will cost me, but I will probably want to get that rear sight back in working order. Is there a best place to look for the parts I will need? any forum members sell parts or krag parts websites?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
The metal and wood both appear refinished on this model 1899 carbine, so, $400 to $500 is a fair offer - IMHO.

FWIW - As a stopgap, a complete model 1901 rifle sight or a rifle leaf & slide (and your carbine base) can be used to give this carbine a better look.

With patience, the correct parts will 'show up', eventually.

(BTW - You don't really need to do anything. It can be shot with the sight leaf that is on it).

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
BTW, the wood on the stock looks nicely figured. If you do obtain this gun, perhaps somebody could suggest a proper way to refinish it without messing up the cartouche any further. I don't believe that would affect the collectors value since it already has been refinished. All in all, if this would be your first carbine I would say it is an outstanding one. Many of us have a sporterized Krag and I value mine although I had obtained a Krag in all it's military attire afterwards. You would fascinate many when showing this specimen to others and enjoy it yourself.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
My unslocited .02 is leave the stock alone, keep your eyes peeled for a 1901 Carbine sight, maybe, maybe carefully file off that wart on the front sight blade and count yourself lucky. Love it just the way it is. I'm interested in what everyone else thinks about the finish on the metal, it looks very blue in these photos.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
This is an authentic 1901 carbine sight with the correct slide calibrated to "23" and the 3 "c"s shown in their respective places. The price is high but it is real and in nice shape.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

As stated above, you can keep the sight on it and see how it shoots. It will most likely not be accurate by the calibrated numbers for the ammo you use but that's fine. Just keep a record of what adjustments you need for shooting.

And the stock looks nice. I wouldn't fool with changing the finish. It's quite attractive as is.

Make sure the bolt is in good shape and the chamber isn't screwed up, or have it looked at by someone knowledgeable, and get some ammo and shoot it.

Then save your money to eventually buy a more correct Krag rifle or carbine. They're out there if you keep your eyes open.

Collecting Krags can be addictive. I've had the fever for a number of years now!

IP Logged

charlie1511
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies, I am new to the forum as well as Krag Collecting. I will pick up a 1901 Carbine sight when I can afford one. I will keep everything else the same, it is what it is.

Seems like a good deal for my first Krag Carbine so I think I'll pick it up.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Great!

Please keep us informed on your enjoyment of your new Krag when you get it and start playing with it.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Receiver finish looks like a poorly done, over polished cold blue to me

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1