Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Really high serial number (Read 2245 times)
Ora Serrata
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Really high serial number
Sep 24th, 2019 at 12:32am
Print Post  
I'm in the process of acquiring my 3rd Krag.  I haven't picked it up yet, so no pics for now.  But I'm curious because the serial number puts it at one of the last ones built.  It's 480708.  From the online resources I've found production was sometime in 1904.  I read that the higher numbers were "used as replacements", or sold to Bannerman or the NRA.

So is it likely this was a receiver sitting in the arsenal that was sold off as a stripped receiver to one of those entities?  It's a 1898 receiver with a carbine length barrel and what appears to be a M1903 from site.  Since I haven't picked it up I don't know if it was a cut barrel, or what.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Really high serial number
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Sounds interesting. Will be fun to see pictures when you get it.

First thing to do is examine the serial number carefully and make sure it isn't 430708.  "3"s are often stamped deep and are misread as "8"s.

Congrats on your third Krag. As many of us have already found out, collecting, cleaning, fixing, reloading for and shooting Krags is addicting.

Welcome to the Krag fever crowd!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 4:57am
Print Post  
'Ora' - That is a high serial number.

Be aware, many online 'sources' can feature poor information.
(Bowers has a bad reputation on the KCA Forum).

Frank Mallory listed at least eleven Krag rifles, with serial numbers ranging 480778 to 499036, which would be higher than yours.

(These were Krag serial numbers found in surviving official documents. They represent only a small percentage of actual Krag production).

Krag production may have stopped at the end of the 1903 'Calendar Year', which would have taken it into the 1904 'Fiscal Year'.

The NRA did not buy and sell Krags.

In the 1920's, the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (an Army department) would sell Krag Rifles and Carbines to civilians, who were N.R.A. members.

In the 1920's, Benicia Arsenal altered Krag rifles, for an additional charge, into 'so called' "NRA - DCM carbines". The rifle barrels were shortened to 22 inches and a Springfield 1903 front-sight was installed. These 'carbines' can only be documented with a D.C.M. bill-of-sale.

At times, the Ordnance Department auctioned off Obsolete surplus gun parts and Ordnance items.

Bannerman's, Stokes Kirk Sporting Goods, and others, were regular auction buyers and got creative making Arms for the civilian market.

Photos of your Krag, when it arrives, will beget more observations.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 5:36am
Print Post  
I've owned 482440 for many years.

It, like yours was made in 1903 - only a handful, presumably with much higher numbers, were made in 1904.

SA had to pay a royalty on every Krag assembled, so VERY careful records were kept as to how many were made.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 11:46am
Print Post  
I saw this one on the auction site. I had a small bid on it just for kicks and giggles. Lots of alterations for an advertised M1898 carbine. If it was unaltered, I would have been a little more serious because of the higher serial number. I know there are higher ones known but it is up there.

These well known auction companies continue to amaze me at how inept their experts are at identifying and describing firearms. You'd expect more from auction companies selling off millions of dollars worth of firearms.

I think you got more value in parts than you paid. Plus the fun of having another Krag in your growing collection.

IP Logged

Ora Serrata
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Yeah, some of the descriptions they had were pretty bad and the pictures sucked.  That's exactly what I was thinking that for the price I could even part it out.  It was only worth my bidding even that high because I have an 03, so no California DROS, and I live 20 minutes from them so no shipping.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 5:36am:
SA had to pay a royalty on every Krag assembled, so VERY careful records were kept as to how many were made.

I have wondered if spoiled receivers were replaced in the numbering sequence. You statement makes it clear that bad receivers would have had to have the number replaced or noted as scrap (leaving a void in the numbering sequence) to avoid paying the royalty.
Does anyone know which was done? Might explain the other receiver with the odd number, made from 2 sets of stamps.

IP Logged

cquickel
KCA Forum Member

Krag Lover

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
You mind if I add your rifle to the KCA serial number database?

Curt Quickel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint