Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 .30-40 Krag 1901 Sight Issue (Read 6112 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: .30-40 Krag 1901 Sight Issue
Reply #15 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I'm planning on revisiting my loads over the winter.  My intention is to try to move to H4895 with the 220 gr RN Hornady bullet.  It would end the expulsion of unburnt powder from the muzzle (as with IMR-4350), while hopefully tightening up my groups a little.  I'd like to pare down the types of powder I keep on hand, and I use H4895 in several other rounds.   

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
But, Paul, it's always so exciting and comforting to see that huge fireball blast from the muzzle of the firearm when you are using a slower burning powder.

Just makes you tingle inside, doesn't it??

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
let us know how the H4350 does, I am going to try that myself.
The H 4350 shoots much better than the IMR in 6.5 caliber.

IP Logged

Olpeddler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 8:48pm
Print Post  

Hello again from central Massachusetts, sight of the first Thanksgiving, 398 years ago. Google that and see what the Pilgrims and Native American ate... it was quite a spread !
Yesterday. my son and I went to the range to test the 3 new recipes of slower powders for my 180 gr RN leads.  Those recipes are listed in Reply #7 above. The results were encouraging in that all 3 recipes' POI was only 12" above the bull's eye... much better that the 24" high POI I got using the very fast IMR 4198.  I tried 4 rounds of R/L 15 at 100 yds. a the POI was about 11" high.   With these results it seems to me that I have 2 options remaining: (1) Install a higher front sight blade, or, (2) reload using only 220 gr RN bullets.  I am pretty much a purist, and as such, I don't want to install a non-original parts on the carbine.  Also, I know the 30-40 Krag was manufactured to shoot a 220 gr RN bullet, and I am thinking the factory sights are calibrated for that bullet weight.  I am thinking that if a 180 gr bullet shoots 11" high at 100 yds., a 220 gr. bullet  might shoot only 3"-4'' high at the same distance.  If it were to work out that way, I could certainly live with that.  Again, as always, I will appreciate any counsel and advice you can provide.
Lastly, on the Forum's website, I can not find any instructions on posting pictures; I have taken pictures, uploaded them to my PC and would like members to see my carbine.  Also, I would like to know how to save an unfinished post that will be completed at a later time

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #19 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
When you go to reply to my post, and you will, look down and see the word "Browse".  Click on it and find find your pic file on your computer and do the normal MS upload.

If you have another second photo you want to load, look to the left and see the word "Attachments".   Click on the down button and repeat the process.

Do not gloss over the posting limit of 768Kb.

You can't do a draft post as far as I know.  That is what NotePad is for.

You can't have a draft post as far as I know.  That is what NotePad is for.
Allowed file types: txt doc docx psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar
Maximum Attachment size: 768 KB

Then just click on "Post Message"

And if you dink it up just modify the post and repeat again.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #20 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Olpeddler wrote on Nov 26th, 2019 at 8:48pm:
. . . I don't want to install a non-original parts on the carbine. . .

If you're aiming accurately with rear at lowest setting and hitting that high, it's pretty unlikely your front sight blade is "original". Have you compared yours to the photo of a real one posted earlier in this thread?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

musketjon
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Dec 1st, 2019 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Remember this too--if you load too light of a powder charge, instead of a controlled burn, you could wind up with a detonation instead and that could be bad for the rifle and the shooter. Consult the loading manuals and follow the loads to a "T".
Jon

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Capt. Frank wrote on Nov 26th, 2019 at 7:41pm:
let us know how the H4350 does, I am going to try that myself.
The H 4350 shoots much better than the IMR in 6.5 caliber.

Here's the test results:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint