Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Buy The Rifle, Not The Story (Read 4575 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Buy The Rifle, Not The Story
Jan 24th, 2020 at 2:21am
Print Post  
I bought a Krag carbine last year and I thought I'd share it with the KCA members to get some feedback and evaluation. I'm not sure about this one and will be interested to get any comments.

I bought the carbine for $375 because it has at least that amount in parts that I might be able to use. It was advertised as having the owner's name scratched into the stock but no mention was made of any significant history. It was advertised as a M1896 carbine and had a M1896 rear sight but I couldn't see the it well enough to determine if it was a carbine sight or not. For the price, though, I didn't care and thought that I'd be well pleased if it was a carbine sight.

When I got it there was paperwork showing documentation that it had belonged to George Kerney and had been issued to him in Troop I 1st Volunteer Cavalry Rough Riders that fought in the Spanish American War. Serial Number 77870 is not listed in the SRS records but a Colt Peacemaker revolver SN: 133251 is listed as having been issued to 1st US cavalry in 1898 which was assigned to George Kerney.

I have included pictures and the documentation I received. There was a Krag screwdriver tool in the butt stock along with a pull through bore brush as added bonuses. The rear sight is a M1896 rifle sight.

I have decided just to keep this carbine as is and not change it. I'll keep it with the documentation. The stock is inscribed with Kerney's name but it looks like "Troop F" and 1930. It has been suggested this was inscribed years later maybe by someone else and may not even be the exact carbine used by him but one that was close and purchased later as a memorial piece.

Who knows. It's certainly an interesting story. I wouldn't represent this as definitely an authentic Rough Riders carbine but it has intrigued me to research and evaluate it.

Some of you are better at research, genealogy and history than I am and might be able to help.

What do you think? Pictures below and documents on the next post.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Buy The Rifle, Not The Story
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Kerney Krag carbine documents below:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 4:14am
Print Post  
FWIW - Mallory, "Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition, page 252, Appendix 19.

Model 1896 carbines issued to personnel of The 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry (Rough Riders) in 1898:

(carbine #) 28725  (Co.) I  G. M. Kerney

Whig - Neat carbine and great buy, but, Mallory material contradicts story that comes with your Krag, (In regard to carbine, #77870, being issued to George M. Kerney for service in Cuba).

IMHO - (I am always skeptical of U.S. Military Arms that are reportedly, "brought  home by the soldiers that carried them in the war".
With Krag rifles and carbines being government property, relatively new, and needed for continuing military actions, why would SAW soldiers be allowed to keep their service Krag?
It is realistic to envision a veteran buying a surplus arm, years later, of the type he used in war).
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2020 at 5:37am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 4:18am
Print Post  
Don't know if this is anything near what you are looking for, but Theodore Roosevelt had George M. Kerney listed in his "Rough Riders" book. Page 268 and 257. It shows that he was transferred from Troop F to Troop I.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
ider&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjd68D3rpvnAhVD1qwKHTG9A_QQ6AE
wAHoECAMQAg#v=onepage&q=george%20kerney%20rough%20rider&f=false

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Butlers- Thanks for that Mallory reference. I have Mallory 1st edition and the listing is not in there. I actually just bought Mallory 2nd edition which is in the mail. There are great listings in the 2nd edition that are very helpful, evidently!

This does appear to be a purchase made after the war that Kerney may have bought and marked with his name as a memorial.

Neat story altogether! Wish it had the carbine rear sight.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Knute- it is interesting how, whoever marked this stock, made it referencing his being in Troop F and not I.  Underneath that marking it does look like it says "1st RR Cavalry" for 1st Cavalry Rough Riders.

Thanks for the additional documentation. Just another Krag mystery!

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure how you came upon this rifle. But some of your documentation comes from Richard J. Schwan. Did you know him? I believe I found his obituary, so it does not appear that you can contact him for information. If this is the right Richard J. Schwan, it looks like he was an honorable man and would not have intentionally tried to dupe anybody.
So the fact that the stock writing refers to troop F instead of I is interesting, although he served in both. And BR's contradicting info really throws you off a clear trail. It would be interesting to obtain the info where Schwan got his research from.

Here is a good read on "New Mexico In the Spanish American War". Make sure to click on the "read more". Kerney is being shown as having been transferred in this writing, also.

.html

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Knute- I'll check into that. I bought it from a reputable online firearm store so I did not know the previous owner as in the documentation.

If he was in two different troops, could he logically have been assigned two different Krag carbines?

Mystery, mystery. The input from all angles helps!

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
So the question is: Would Kerney be assigned a carbine in Troop F and then leave it with that Troop when transferred? Then getting another carbine when getting to Troop I? Was that standard procedure to keep firearms in the troop when transfer of soldiers were made? In my previous reply I snuck another link in after your last reply, so you may want to check it out.

Also note that your documentation handwritten on yellow lined paper is dated 2019. Schwan passed in 2018, so it was probably from somebody else that surfed the world wide web for info and jotted it down.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
The yellow paper is my sloppy writing! Those are some snippets of info I found on the internet.

That Schwan previous owner was a military historian who worked at a historical museum. You would think he would have had some experience in documenting historic artifacts like the Krag carbine he owned.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Ahh....sooo. I had run into some of the web sites you got your info from, also.

Yes, I was thinking Mr. Schwan had to know what he was doing as he was internationally known. So I am more than 50% sure he was correct with his information, just have to prove it if possible. There may be an explanation that allows all this information to make sense.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
I'll have to figure out the best way to try to get more info from someone who knew Mr. Schawn. Maybe the museum he worked at would be a good starting place.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 4:04am
Print Post  
If there comes a day that this rifle can be linked to George Kerney for sure, it would be nice to have his Military Service Record. Unfortunately, firearm serial numbers are not included.

In fact, here are the service records for many Rough Riders:

naIdSort%20asc

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Trying to figure out what happed to Mr. Kerney here. He mustered in to F Troop on May 2, 1898 as a Private and was a wagoner. He transferred to I Troop May 12, 1898 and made Corporal. I can't make out the last two lines of page 4. Injury? Line of duty? Then the last two pages it looks like he was "Reduced to ranks by ???? of ???? Court Martial July 15, 1898. He was then appointed Corporal again on September (?), 1898. Then mustered out on September 15,1898. And he was 43 years old in 1898.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 2:00am
Print Post  
I believe entries state:

"Sick in quarantine since June 22, 98
Injury contracted in line of duty".

"Appointed Corporal May 12, 1898, per verbal order Reg. Commander.
Reduced to ranks by Issuance of Field Court Martial July 15, 1898.
appointed Corpl. Sept 2, 1898, per Reg. order No.6"

Possibly, Mr. Kerney was reduced in rank because he was in quarantine, due to injury or illness, and unable to perform duties?

Later, he was restored to Corporal, shortly before discharge at Camp Wikoff (Long Island, N.Y.) on September 15, 1898.

I suspect being processed through Camp Wikoff, prior to being shipped home, makes it very improbable discharged volunteers would be taking U.S. government arms with them.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2020 at 3:24am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint