Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag carbine (Read 844 times)
Battis32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag carbine
Feb 8th, 2020 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I had posted on this forum years ago but I can't find my info so I re-registered.
Anyways, I was looking at an 1896 Krag carbine (ser.#69174).  It was in good shape but it was missing the rear sight and top handguard.  I have another carbine that I replaced the sight and handguard on, so I know they're available.  But someone had mounted a sight at some point and removed the mag cut-off.  I know the carbine isn't a collector's piece, but everything else seems original - barrel band, saddle ring, etc.  The wood is in good shape.
So, is this carbine worth $325?  I know, without good pics it's hard to say, but I'm wondering if the mag cut-off can be replaced.   It looks like a good shooter.
Could it be a cut down rifle?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag carbine
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Welcome (again?) to KCA!

You are absolutely right that we cannot properly evaluate your Krag without seeing pictures of some sort. As has been said before, our crystal ball isn't working real well right now!

What does the receiver look like when you remove that monstrous plate in front of the cut-off lever? The stock is cut into and damaged. If the receiver has any grinding or holes drilled into it for that plate, the Krag is only valuable as a shooter and not a collectible. Its value would be much lower than a military collectible, then.

Having said that, if you happen to have a M1896 carbine rear sight on it, the sight alone could be worth $500-600. So, the parts could be worth more than the carbine if it has been sporterized.

Please see if you can post more pictures. You have an interesting dilemma and we would love to try to help!

IP Logged

Battis32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 2:21am
Print Post  
The carbine is on hold at a store.  That's the only pic I took.  Could that be a mount for a Redfield sight?  It looks like a good shooter.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 3:55am
Print Post  
It does not take a great model 1896 carbine to be worth $325.

Krag, number 69174, is between known model 1896 carbines #69164 and #69209. So, whatever it looks like now, started with a real carbine.

The 'cut-off' lever is present in your photo. (blue circle) The 'safety-lever' appears damaged. (green circle)

The receiver sight base is for a Lyman #33 or #34 sight. Unfortunately, this sight required the removal of wood and two drilled & tapped holes in the receiver.

There is also a section removed from the rear of the side-plate.

These alterations are major blemishes to restoration.

It would be useful to know what the rest of the "beastie" looks like.

IP Logged

Battis32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 4:47am
Print Post  
Good info.  Thanks.  I got caught up in the possibilities of this carbine.  I have a restored carbine (I talked about it on this forum a few years ago but I can't log on under my old user name).  I also have an 1898 rifle that I bought as a wall hanger - it was missing the firing pin.  Less than $50 later and it's complete, and a good shooter.
The one I pictured above would be a great addition to my collection as a shooter.  I have it on hold but I'll see if I can get some more pics.

IP Logged

Battis32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
if I decide to get this carbine as a shooter, I'd have to find a Lyman #33 or #34 sight.  But, I haven't been able to find one online yet.  Any suggestions as to where to find one, or what other sight I might be able to use?
Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint