Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Recent Carbine Purchase (Read 2024 times)
WillRiley
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Recent Carbine Purchase
Feb 12th, 2020 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Hi guys, I have just recently became a member and have been interested in Krags for some time now. I have been searching for a decent shooter (nothing special) to add to my collection when I stumbled upon this in a small little shop in town.  The store manager had it in the back by chance and had planned on keeping it for his personal collection. I bought this along with a complete 30-40 bandolier dated 1907 for $900. It is an 1898 with serial number 123263. The bore is in excellent condition. Posted are some pics, and I would love to hear what you guys think.

IP Logged

WillRiley
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Recent Purchase
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 3:39am
Print Post  
More pics. Also the name J.E. Sheeler is imbedded in the stock. I don’t know anything about the previous owners, so it could be their name. Thoughts?

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: Recent Carbine Purchase
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Man did you get slickered.  Here.  I'll take it off your hands for 250.  Wink

You did real good. Looks in great shape.  Now clean the barrel and take it to the range.  Just be careful.  Most of us started with just one Krag but somehow one turned into five or ten or fifteen. Roll Eyes

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Will,

Welcome to KCA, Home of Krag lovers! We love everything Krag and you have jumped right in with your purchase.

You appear, on first examination, to be one of the rare ones to have stumbled into a rare situation. It looks like you have found a M1898 Krag carbine! There were only 5002 of these made and most of them have been lost to history. The M1898 carbine is often faked because it is so rare. The stock appears to be a later arsenal replacement with the cartouche 1901. The rear sight looks to be a correct M1901 carbine sight with the little "c"s stamped on it. I can't see all of it but it looks correct.

The barrel looks to be the correct 22 inch carbine barrel with the Springfield Armory brazed front sight base.

And, most importantly, the serial number, 123263 is right smack in the known M1898 carbine range.

These are difficult to authenticate for absolute sure but these are some of the details we look for. One big reason these are difficult to authenticate for sure is that the receiver has no specific markings that designate that it was originally built as a carbine, like the M1899 carbines (anything marked Model 1899 was always manufactured at Springfield Armory as a carbine). There was also a lot of overlapping of serial numbers whereby Krag carbines and rifles can both have serial numbers in this small range that M1898 carbines are found in.

If you picked this up, with accoutrements, for $900, you got the deal of the year! Authentic M1898 Krag carbines in good shape, and with a good bore to boot, are worth around $2000! (or more!)

This does not mean you can't shoot it! Krags are meant to shoot. Some would say don't because it is worth so much. But, it shouldn't hurt it because .30-40 ammo is not damaging to the carbine.

So, welcome and congratulations! You should be patting yourself on the back. Most people who buy a Krag and come here looking for an opinion of "How'd I do?" are given bad news.

You're the exception!
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2020 at 12:23am by Whig »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
WILL,

You might want to check out the previous KCA posting done about M1898 carbines listed below. I added your name and carbine to the list.

I also checked the Springfield Research Records manuals and your carbine serial number 123263, made around July 1898, is not listed as a known documented Krag. That's OK. Only about 5% of Krags have a documented history listed in the SRS records.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

WillRiley
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Thank you, I am very happy with my purchase and look forward to taking it to the range to see how it shoots. It is by far the best looking rifle in my collection.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
We would like to see some more pictures with close ups of different areas. And if you shoot it, keep us informed on how you do! Good luck.

IP Logged

WillRiley
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Here’s one. I’ll post more once I get em

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 12:49am
Print Post  
You can see the little "c" stamped on this front sight blade. I question why the blade appears to be re-blued but that doesn't mean a lot.

IP Logged

WillRiley
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 12:53am
Print Post  
More pics

IP Logged

WillRiley
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Last ones

IP Logged

cquickel
KCA Forum Member

Krag Lover

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
You mind if I add your rifle to the KCA serial number database?

Curt Quickel

IP Logged

WillRiley
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Don’t mind at all

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint