Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Serial number (Read 1720 times)
Flintstone
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Serial number
Mar 15th, 2020 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Hoping to be able to find additional information on my Springfield 1898 Krag serial number 210582.  It has a 22 inch barrel which may mean it was make in to a sportster(?).  Thank you for any information you would provide.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Serial number
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
There will be members chiming in on this and will gladly help you figure this out. 22" is carbine length, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a carbine and can still be a sporter as you may suspect. But......please provide pictures of the receiver, sights, forearm, butt, and any markings (cartouche, etc.).

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Welcome, Flintstone, to KCA. We love Krags here and love helping other people enjoy their Krags as much as we do!

Your Krag serial number 210582 was made in May 1899. It is well in the range of Krag rifles, so, I would say it has had the regular 30 inch barrel cut down to carbine length 22 inches or has had a carbine length barrel switched onto your rifle.

Pictures of different parts of your Krag sporter will help us identify these details better. Need pictures of the receiver markings, the front and rear sights and other markings that might be present. Also overall pictures can show how it looks.

Thanks and get pictures uploaded if able. Any questions, let us know.

IP Logged

MarkG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Thank you in advance for the help and information.  I am trying to find out more about a rifle I inherited from my father.  It is marked as a Model 1898 US Springfield Armory, serial number 115570.  It has a 30" barrel (from tip to start of bolt).  I would like to find out when it may have been manufactured and where it was used, whether it is original, etc. I can send pictures if that would help.
Thank you

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Mark G. - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your U.S. Model 1898 Krag rifle, #115570, was assembled around July to August, 1898.

Clear close photos of details like sights and markings will allow members to better comment about your Krag.

IP Logged

Flintstone
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Photos per request. Am trying to determine if I am able to post more than 2 at a time.

IP Logged

Flintstone
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 3:55pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Flintstone
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Photos appear to be showing up very large.  Did reduce size to less than 768KB per forum requirements.

IP Logged

Flintstone
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
This will be last one unless suggestion is made to post photo of a particular part of the Krag.  Thanks again for the help.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
'Flintstone' - Photos of your Krag's (22 inch barrel) front-sight and muzzle crown, as well as, your rear-sight, will allow us to tell you more.

All I can tell you now is that #210582 is a model 1898 Krag, made as a rifle around June, 1899, with a well-worn finish, stock crack in the wrist, and nice 1902 'cartouche'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint