Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Schrodinger's headspace - a problem that isn't? (Read 9692 times)
IgnoramusRex
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Schrodinger's headspace - a problem that isn't?
Mar 29th, 2020 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I recently added a 1898 krag rifle to my collection of US Military rifles. I have SCOURED the forums before posting so as not to be redundant.

It's in nice shape, the bore is a clean as might be expected. No pitting. Stock is in fantastic shape. Seems functional. However, as I do with all firearms of this vintage I took it to a local gunsmith to have it looked at just to make sure it's shootable. This is when my headache began.

Gunsmith checked the rifle and agrees that its in great shape but says that it's about twelve thousandths (.012") excessive in headspace. He says it might be remedied by a new bolt but didn't mention that the bolt was deficient or had signs of peening on the lugs. EDIT: I don't know what gauges he used or how he measured it. He had the rifle for a couple weeks

He said "you're probably fine to shoot it with factory ammo in original spec, the chambers on old milsurps are often 'generous', but it would be best to fireform brass." His solution for the headspace was turning the barrel back 1 turn and reaming-which he didn't imply was a great idea. I know it headspaces off the rim not the shoulder, so I understand there's two ways to fireform.

I have read SO much conflicting info. Some people say "headspace is critical you'll shoot your eye out etc." Some people say "headspace is often a little long in old milsurps, it was designed that way, its FINE if the gun is fine".

I see three options. Help me run the sanity test.
Option 1: buy a new old stock bolt body and gauge. See if its a bolt problem.
Option 2: shoot a few rounds, compare length, check casings. Enjoy.
Option 3: Send the rifle to CMP and have em put a new barrel on it. Enjoy.

NOTE: I'm not super confident in this gunsmith, but he's the only game in town.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: Schrodinger's headspace - a problem that isn't?
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Option 4: Buy, rent or borrow a field gauge and check it your self, then refer to Option:2

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Ned has good advice. Headspacing is rarely a problem in these old Krags. Very generous tolerances and great chamber design.

Most gunsmiths don't know squat about Krags. Find someone who does or check it yourself.

We always advise saving your brass, reloading and keeping brass specific to each individual Krag. That way the cases will be fire formed to your Krag's chamber and you only need to neck resize which saves over-working the brass and it lasts longer. Many of us even anneal our cases to last much longer.

Good honest concern you have. Welcome to KCA!

Good luck. Thanks for your question. Post pictures!

IP Logged

IgnoramusRex
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Pics as requested.

Thanks for the input. Ordered a field gauge and will report back.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 4:29am
Print Post  
'IgnoramusRex' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. You have a nice looking Krag.

As a rule, U.S. Krags do not show 'head-space' problems.

The .30-40 cartridge being rimmed, simplifies 'head-space'. In the U.S. Krag, it is simply the distance from the bolt-face to the barrel breech-face.

The Krag case rim thickness is usually about .064 inches. Most Krags will probably measure about .070 inches clearance between bolt-face and barrel breech-face. So, normally there is some 'free travel'.

I have a "Field" Head-Space Gauge that measures .073 inches.
None of my Krag bolts close on this gauge, using just light finger pressure on a 'stripped' Bolt.

I just 'neck-size' my Brass and it interchanges in nine different Krags.

FWIW - Even in the event of a case head separation, the .30-40 rim provides a gas seal that keeps gases and pressure in the barrel and prevents them from flowing into the action.

It is nice to have a Field Gauge to check rifles. But, I've fired many military pieces content with a good physical inspection and careful scrutiny of fired Brass.

"New Old Stock" original Krag bolts are available for $55 from 'Granpa's Gunparts' (in the KCA Classifieds). These beautiful bolts usually solve any worn bolt-lug problems.

Also, FredC has a couple of these NOS Bolts for-sale.

Hey, Schrodinger! Have you seen my cat?
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:23pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Not much left to say that Whig, Ned and Butlersrangers haven't already said. 

Welcome to the forum!!!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Iggy,
Notice in Butlersrangers photo he removed the firing pin and extractor when doing the gauging, this is important. If it closes on the field gauge that is still not the end of the matter. Check for and aft movement of the bolt. Just a few thousands of an inch is still OK.

A shim .004 thick cut out of an aluminum can between the bolt and the gauge would probably still be OK. 1/4 round and stuck into the bolt recess with a spot of grease would be ideal.

When you get the gauge and do your checking do not force the bolt handle closed. Light pressure with you pinky finger should not be exceeded.

If things do not work out you could send me your bolt for measurement to see if a new one would improve things. I do have a gauge for measuring bolts.

Old thread on same subject:
(You need to Login to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2020 at 9:03pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
My Head-Space Gauge will work with an 'assembled' bolt, but, 'feeling' the Gauge Fit, and Resistance, is 'more better' with irrelevant stuff removed.  Smiley

'FredC' - Thanks for 'linking' to that old 'head-space' thread. It still makes my head hurt to read the whole thing!

Hey, Fred! With the Quarantine in place, why not use your considerable talents to make a better Krag Head-Space Guage?

Never mind - You are probably building Respirators!
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2020 at 12:16am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

IgnoramusRex
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks all for the advice.

I removed the guts from the bolt body. The bolt has seen better days (pic attached) and I'm a tad concerned about this hairline of discoloration rear of the lug but can't run out and get dye penetrant to see if its an actual fissure because COVID. A new bolt body might be in order.

I've checked headspace on several '06 rifles before so I'll definitely follow the advice of pinky pressure only.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:30pm:
My Head-Space Gauge will work with an 'assembled' bolt, but, 'feeling' the Gauge Fit, and Resistance, is a 'more better' with irrelevant stuff removed.  Smiley

'FredC' - Thanks for 'linking' to that old 'head-space' thread. It still makes my head hurt to read the whole thing!

Hey, Fred! With the Quarantine in place, why not use your considerable talents to make a better Krag Head-Space Guage?

Never mind - You are probably build Respirators!

Maybe you can use the field or other gauges with the firing pin and extractor assembled, but feeling for free play will be harder and the risk of damaging the firing pin if the trigger gets pulled accidentally. Maybe some of the gauges have a hole to clear the firing pin, in that case nothing harmed.
The hardened extractor jumping over the hardened gauge rim would not be good for either.

For function testing I see nothing wrong with commercial gauges on the market. I wanted closer so I measured a bunch of case rims and found one that was .063 thick and set the barrel back for .002 free play with a dial indicator. Head space on my sporter is exactly .065.

M95 respirators, had almost a full box of best use by Mar 2017. Called the local EMS they were happy to take 1/2 the box. Got plenty left for the rest of the year for plowing on the open cab tractor.

Iggy,
I see some lines of rust else where on that bolt, probably a little sweat at the points of contact on the receiver. I would wait till you get your field gauge.
PS> I did a correction to my previous post.

IP Logged

Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
When I got my Mark 3 Enfield I was worried about headspace after reading all the horror stories about case separations then I read about guys using either small o-orings or hair tie rubber bands slid down the case against the rim and either form fired with a light charge or just fired with a live round. Doing this will take up any “slop” in headspace and push the case neck out so it now headspaces on the case neck-now you just necksize for that rifle. I’ve got 7-8 reloads on some of my .303 cases and haven’t had a case separation yet.

I didn’t do this with my Krag but I do fire form my cases and neck size only and haven’t had any case issues with several reloadings

Disclaimer: I didn’t invent the technique and your results may vary...use your own judgment.... Wink

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:00am
Print Post  
'Ignoramus Rex' - For shooting purposes, You would probably sleep easier with a NOS Bolt, which is pretty cheap insurance at $55.

By all means, clean your present bolt and at your leisure do the testing, you are considering, and share what you determine.
IMHO - We can all learn from this one, if cracks or flaws are found.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 3:33am
Print Post  
'Griff557' - I use to have a S.M.L.E. Mk III rifle, that was a "Destroyer of Brass".

Ironically, it was a rifle that was rebuilt and re-barreled by B.S.A. and marked "FTR -1953" (Factory Thorough Repair).

All serial numbers matched and the new barrel had the B.S.A. trademark on its 'knoxform'. New wood and metal re-finish were part of the military rebuild program.

This rifle's Head-Space was correct and the bolt was fitted properly. However, brand new quality commercial brass, neck-sized and loaded with a 'Lee-Loader', showed incipient and complete head separations on the second firing of the brass!

A virtue of the .303" cartridge is that the rim prevented high pressure gases from blowing back into the action. The only evidence of my case 'failures' was the failed brass.

This rifle ruined all my .303 brass. The experience killed my interest in reloading and shooting .303 British.

My understanding is that the problem was not head-space, but, British military chambers. Dimensions were generous for reliability and military brass was heavier than commercial brass. The British Military did not reload the once fired Berdan brass.

My generous FTR chamber allowed the cartridge case body to be stretched to the side-walls and forward toward the chamber-neck.

This movement of brass, ballooning to the side and stretching to the front, likely caused my .303 brass to fail at the web area of the case wall.

(Suffice it to say, I have not had this experience with the U.S. Krag and the .30-40 cartridge).

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 5:14am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 3:33am:
. . . My generous FTR chamber allowed the cartridge case body to be stretched to the side-walls and forward toward the chamber-neck.

This movement of brass, ballooning to the side and stretching to the front, likely caused my .303 brass to fail at the web area of the case wall. . .

It's fairly easy to demonstrate that cases actually do not stretch forward on firing. Photo attached below shows this. .303's loaded to stiff normal pressure in neck-sized cases can fail at the head because of the rear-locking action's flexibility, allowing some rearward movement of the bolt face on firing at full pressure. This allows the case head/wall junction to stretch, thin, and fail.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 5:57am
Print Post  
My .303 British loads were: W-W cases, Winchester large rifle primer, 35 grains IMR-3031 (each charge weighed), and Speer 150 grain spitzer, (.311 diameter).

Ammo was loaded with .303 British 'Lee-Loader'.

Accuracy was good with a new BSA barrel.

Case life was shockingly short!

I hadn't had reloaded brass problems and head separations with a 1943 Long Branch #4 rifle or 1947 Fazackerly #5 rifle.

A 1953 - FTR rifle with a generous chamber for Korean War conditions???

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint