Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Is this Krag correct? (Read 2586 times)
maverick44
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Is this Krag correct?
May 2nd, 2020 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Hello all. I am interested in getting my first Krag, and I came across this one. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I do know that a large number of them were modified/cut down for the civilian market. After looking into as much info as I could find about the different Krag variants, I think I know kind of what this is.

It appears to be an M1892 Krag (15944) made in 1894 that was cut down to a carbine at some point. The rear sight is not marked with a C from what I can see, and only goes out to 1800 yards. If I am correct, it is a M1896 rifle sight. The handguard appears to be for an M1899 carbine.

The barrel is 22" and the seller told me that there are no stamps on the stock.

Is this a correct carbine that was issued to the military, or has it been modified at some point?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Is this Krag correct?
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2020 at 12:26am
Print Post  
You are correct - it is not correct! The odds are that it was not done officially, either. That said, it appears to have a proper carbine stock, and perhaps even a carbine barrel. Due to the fact that M1896C sights are so hard to find, and so expensive when you do, many people are making do with M1896R sights on otherwise genuine carbines. Can't tell the difference at 5' anyhow. So, it kinda depends on the price - if it's being represented as a blushing virgin with $$$$ to match, run for the nearest exit.

IP Logged

maverick44
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2020 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 12:26am:
You are correct - it is not correct! The odds are that it was not done officially, either. That said, it appears to have a proper carbine stock, and perhaps even a carbine barrel. Due to the fact that M1896C sights are so hard to find, and so expensive when you do, many people are making do with M1896R sights on otherwise genuine carbines. Can't tell the difference at 5' anyhow. So, it kinda depends on the price - if it's being represented as a blushing virgin with $$$$ to match, run for the nearest exit.

That's kind of what I was afraid of. It's being auctioned off on gunbroker, and is at $500 right now. It ends in the morning. If it's not correct, I'm not sure I'll bid on it. I might just wait and pay a bit more for a better example. At the very least it got me interested in Krags and I learned quite a bit about them trying to figure out what this one was. I found a few books about them that I'll probably pick up so that next time I find one I like, I'll have a better idea of what it is and if it's correct. Cheesy

Thanks for the help. Smiley

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2020 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Welcome to KCA and you are very wise, more than most, to get advice on a potential purchase of something you are unfamiliar with BEFORE buying it!

Dick knows, from many decades of telling people, that you should research and/or ask before getting into something like collecting Krags before buying. Many uneducated people buy first and ask about it later, just to find that they have made a bad investment and been duped!

But, even though, as Dick said, your Krag in question is not an original Springfield Armory made carbine, and is missing a correct M1896 carbine rear sight, $500 is a great price! I doubt it will sell for that but the pictures you posted show a crafted carbine that has a nice M1896 carbine stock and possible replacement carbine barrel and hand guard that are worth around $800.

So, tread carefully if still bidding or hold out for a more correct example. It would be nice to find a Krag with a nice cartouche still visible. That adds a lot to the value and historic interest.

Buying a reference book like Poyer's for around $25 on ebay would be a great place to start learning more about Krags.

Thanks for your post and feel free to ask anymore questions. We love to help!

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2020 at 11:56am
Print Post  
in addition, unless upgraded to an 1898 stock, the 1896 Carbine had an entirely different handguard and barrel band.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2020 at 11:59am
Print Post  
silly me. it is in an 1899 stock, however, one of you smarter guys- does that handguard go with the 1896 rear sight?
Thanks all!

Mark the humbled.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2020 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
That is the 'sight-protecting' hand-guard that was used with the model 1896 carbine rear sight.

It can be found on model 1896 and 1898 carbines that were updated with the 'long forearm' stock. As well as, model 1899 carbines with the 1896 sight.

BTW - One GB photo of the hand-guard appears to show a bad crack or glue repair.

IP Logged

maverick44
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2020 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Whig wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 1:25am:
Welcome to KCA and you are very wise, more than most, to get advice on a potential purchase of something you are unfamiliar with BEFORE buying it!

Dick knows, from many decades of telling people, that you should research and/or ask before getting into something like collecting Krags before buying. Many uneducated people buy first and ask about it later, just to find that they have made a bad investment and been duped!

But, even though, as Dick said, your Krag in question is not an original Springfield Armory made carbine, and is missing a correct M1896 carbine rear sight, $500 is a great price! I doubt it will sell for that but the pictures you posted show a crafted carbine that has a nice M1896 carbine stock and possible replacement carbine barrel and hand guard that are worth around $800.

So, tread carefully if still bidding or hold out for a more correct example. It would be nice to find a Krag with a nice cartouche still visible. That adds a lot to the value and historic interest.

Buying a reference book like Poyer's for around $25 on ebay would be a great place to start learning more about Krags.

Thanks for your post and feel free to ask anymore questions. We love to help!

Yeah, my knowledge of the Krag rifle was kind of lacking, so I figured I'd better ask before I buy. It's a good thing I did. BTW, that gun sold for a bit over $600. The right rifle for me will show up eventually.

Poyer's book was one of the ones I was looking at getting. I had read good things about it when researching this rifle. It's hard to argue with $25 for a good reference book.

Thanks fellas for the help. I really appreciate it. Smiley

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2020 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Good job in passing on that Krag. Keep looking at Krags on Gun Broker and watching the ones that actually get bids to learn the market and what sells and what people are wanting.

If you get more interested in Krags, there are better reference books available but they are more expensive. Start with Poyer's.

As many of us have said before, and it's very true, buying and collecting Krags is addictive. They do tend to multiply. Buy smart and you'll enjoy your Krags forever!

IP Logged

148Infantry
KCA Forum Member

Collect/shoot/reload
....repeat!

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2020 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Howdy gents, I bought this Krag. Paid $615 after a few bids on Gunbroker. That being said, I bought it with full knowledge of it being a rifle made into carbine form. But for the money, I was comfortable for what it is a shooter faux carbine. What I like about it, is the potential real carbine barrel and stock. I know the sights are rifle and there is a crack in the upper handguard. BUT I prefer the M96 profile flared bolt handle cut stock, and early receivers are just cool. Even though I know it "not correct" for an actual Springfield made carbine. I just like the 1894 marking. No cartouches, is "eh whatever" with me. I've seen more without than still retain them sadly. So for a shooter grade rifle, its certainly not a deal breaker.
I didn't find this thread until today, interesting enough. I was bored at work on a Sunday morning, perusing GB and I saw this with only 45 minutes remaining. I have read Poyer's book very recently and have been in a Krag mood lately so I went for it. I have wanted a carbine for a very long time, but the prices they command have kept me from buying one. My first Krag was about 15+ years ago, a M1898 cut down rifle with a 24" barrel in obvious short rifle form with sights and sling swivels. I sold it a few months ago  for $450, knowing that it never did fulfill my need for a carbine with a 22in barrel and carbine stock. It was a nice shooting rifle though. Great bore and a tack driver.

In my local area any Krags I see are completely civilian cut down hunting modified, and average $500. Original 30" barreled rifles are usually M1898s and are pushing 800-1K. M1896s are 1200-1700, and Carbines are 1500-2500+ depending on if M96 or M99. So for $600 I'm excited for a fairly close representation of a carbine, that I can shoot the snot out of.

Underneath our starry flag...Civilize 'em with a Krag

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2020 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Congratulations '148th', that should be a fun/good looking shooter.

That particular type of 'long forearm' carbine stock came out around 1899 as a replacement stock.
It was used to make 'refurbished' model 1896 carbines more in the configuration of the model 1899 carbine.

Since these were replacement stocks, going on carbines that were already 'accepted', it is normal for there to be no "cartouche".

FWIW - I suspect your barrel is a shortened rifle barrel that has been re-crowned and the front-sight re-attached.

It looks like you did OK for $600. Keep us posted on your experiences with this Krag.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint