Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 1892/1896 modified serial 23624 (Read 3275 times)
148Infantry
KCA Forum Member

Collect/shoot/reload
....repeat!

1892/1896 modified serial 23624
May 7th, 2020 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Howdy all, long time member, first time poster. I'm not new to Krags, as I've owned and shot/reloaded for a few for years now. But I thought I'd finally post about my newest addition. I won this baby off an online auction a few weeks ago. Had a few questions. It is serial 23624 it was reported in the auction to be serial numbered to the 8th US Infantry in the Spanish American War. I was hoping to see if anyone could validate that claim. It is obviously a M92 that has been upgraded to M96. The stock is original with the cleaning rod channel filled in. No date cartouche remaining, but a Circle P is present. Profile of the stock is sanded down, and the finger channels are shallow. Good news is the metal is fantastic. Bolt is early featured with screwed extractor. The barrel I'm thinking is a replacement. It is absolutely gorgeous. Near mint, with no visible wear on the rifling. On the outside I see no proof marks, only a small "J" stamp. I have tried to take pictures of it. The downside of this barrel is that it is NOT indexed correctly! So the sights sit canted at this point. With this translating also to the handguard won't sit aligned on the rifle. Question, how can I get the barrel indexed properly? I've read on here that receiver wrenches are hard to find as is gunsmiths who are willing/able to properly work on these antique fragile Krags. I want my rifle to be indexed, but don't want to risk damage. Please see the link to a photo album I made of the rifle. (You need to Login to view media files and links)
Even with canted sights it hits a steel plate at 200 yards no problem. It pairs nicely with my M1888 Trapdoor.
I have recently purchased a few other Krags, and I will share when I get them on here.
Thanks for reading and any input is much appreciated!

Underneath our starry flag...Civilize 'em with a Krag

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1892/1896 modified serial 23624
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Hello '148Infantry' - Krag #23624 does not show up in Mallory's 'SRS' data.
#23599 and #23667 were model 1892 Krag rifles that were issued to the 8th Infantry in 11/08/1900 and 12/13/1899.
(Being close and not listed, means it is real likely your Krag did not go to the 8th Infantry).

Hey, #23632 is the closest Krag listed to yours. It was destroyed by the New Cumberland (Depot) Guards in 1929.

Your IMGUR photos do not 'open' for me. Any chance you can post photos directly on KCA forum? (I hate having to go in search of photos).

A picture of your "J" stamp would be interesting. Any chance it is just a poorly stamped "P"?

Original Krag barrels normally have a "P" and an index mark (at 9 o'clock) on the barrel & action.

IP Logged

148Infantry
KCA Forum Member

Collect/shoot/reload
....repeat!

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply. Here is a quote from the auction, which I'm seeing is more of a sales tactic than historical evidence. But for the price I paid, it really doesn't make or break the deal for me. I don't know how the serial number research evidence shows for each rifle or its a "range".

"This a Krag M1892/96 manufactured December 1895, serial 23624. Overall excellent – 85%+ finish. Bore is very sharp and bright. Stock is excellent with clear “P” firing proof at wrist. According to Mallory and Olson, THE KRAG RIFLE STORY, P-258, and the Springfield Research Service rifles in the serial number range 23599 – 23667 were issued to the U.S. 8th Infantry Regiment in Cuba, 1898."

Bummer the pictures won't open. I will try to upload a few on here. But its a pain to individually upload. I have 15 pictures in the album to show all aspects of the rifle.

By chance, could anyone see if Serial 7336 has any date in the Mallory book? This is another rifle I just purchased at auction. I don't have it in hand yet, but it looks like a promising early Krag as well. Bluing isn't nearly as nice, but the stock looks good. Here's a link
(You need to Login to view media files and links)
If this one has a date cartouche on the other side, I'll be a happy camper, the seller didn't say when I asked. So I'm thinking not. BUT when it gets here I'll find out. I think for the price with random Austrian Werndl bayonet, its a good deal. I love Krags, do you think 3 Krags in a month is too much???!!!  Cheesy

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2020 at 12:10am
Print Post  
No SRS listing for #7336. This Model 1894 Krag was manufactured around October, 1894, to December, 1894.

Your other rifle, #23624, did not likely get issued to the 8th Infantry, as implied in the auction description.

Mallory's research shows rifles relatively near your number, but, they were issued to the 8th Infantry in 1899 and 1900, as I stated above.

IMHO - The auction description was a bunch of Flim Flam and Blarney!

#23624 sounds like a nice rifle. It has a history. It just didn't get documented.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2020 at 4:04am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

148Infantry
KCA Forum Member

Collect/shoot/reload
....repeat!

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2020 at 12:19am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 12:10am:
No SRS listing for #7336. This Model 1894 Krag was manufactured around October, 1894 to December, 1894. 

Mallory's research found the rifles issued to the 8th Infantry in 1899 and 1900 as I stated above.

Auction Blarney!

Thanks very much for the insight!  Any advise on trying to index/align a barrel on a Krag?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2020 at 12:51am
Print Post  
148- Welcome to KCA. You have found a home to share your Krag adventures.

You are falling right in lock-step with the old saying that collecting Krags is addicting. Your two will quickly morph into four and then eight! Who knows where it will go after that.

Too bad about the canted barrel. That would not have come from Springfield Armory. Some Bubba gun Smith must have twisted that thing on and went too far.

I have seen many times what you have discovered the hard way. Many shifty sellers will use that exact wording, or close, to describe a Krag. "This rifle's serial number is in the range of those that went to war with Teddy Roosevelt" or whatever. Now you have a resource, us, to ask about a Krag or serial number listing before buying it.

But, if, as you said, you bought it for blasting away, it really doesn't matter. That's what Krags do best!

So blast away and keep us informed.

Good luck.

IP Logged

Lead Snowstorm
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2020 at 3:03am
Print Post  
Nice job on 7336.  If you don’t mind indulging my curiosity, is the seller going to ship it to you directly?  I was tempted to throw in a bid but what with the viral craziness and general uncertainty of the day, the verbiage on the add made me decide a potential struggle over the shipment wasn’t worth the hassle (yes, I’ve had to wrangle with sellers in the past insisting they *had* to send firearms to an FFL).

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2020 at 3:53am
Print Post  
I am curious. Is the forend a replacement, it looks like there is a seem under the barrel band as well as a change in color.

Beautiful rifle! Nice 1892 parts on the bolt and 92 handguard

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2020 at 4:36am
Print Post  
'148th' - More on your 1st rifle, #23624.

I am guessing your sights are canted to the right?

I don't know where your barrel came from or if it is an original Krag barrel?

I was finally able to squirrel around and look at your pictures.

Two observations:
1. The front-sight is a reproduction (and it doesn't look very securely attached).

2. The barrel was not fully screwed in to the index mark.

I wonder what the barrel notch for the extractor looks like?

FWIW - Numrich use to sell a reproduction barrel with a front-sight installed. Criterion makes a 30" barrel for the Krag, which requires installation of a front-sight.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2020 at 3:06pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2020 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
If the photos in Butlersrangers last post are the rifle in question the barrel is not tight enough. Did the installer quit because the torque required was too much for his tools or the barrel needed a few thousands faced off the end and tightening further would have broken something? Or maybe the installer just forgot to finish the job after his coffee break? If it were mine I would loosen it, clean, and lube the threads and try again. A couple of us have made tools for doing this and each of us have loaned them out before.
Because Krags were assembled from barrels that were indexed with extractor cut, sights already machined, the final assemble torque can vary greatly to get everything to line up. To loosen and retighten the barrel, you need some big wrenches and a heavy vice attached to a very stout bench, a 6 inch vice on a Bridgeport class milling machine would work well also. You might strain the limits of the tools or it might go easy and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

I second BR's question how did the extractor line up with the barrel that far off? In a parallel thread just a tiny fraction off caused the bolt not to be able to close. Maybe the index mark was added to Krags after assembly and they do not all line up? Possibly the system was not all worked out on the early 92/96 Krags?

Parallel thread:    (You need to Login to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2020 at 4:01pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2020 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
'148' - A couple of pictures to assist you in evaluating your model 1892/96 Krag:

1. Armory attachment of a Krag front-sight.

2. Breech of barrel should be tight against 'flange or shoulder' of receiver. Extractor 'notches' should line-up.

IP Logged

148Infantry
KCA Forum Member

Collect/shoot/reload
....repeat!

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2020 at 2:53am
Print Post  
Thank you to everyone who has responded. It has helped me decipher what exactly is going on with this rifle. I'm no stranger to antique military rifles, and I definitely had my suspicions about this being a commercial replacement barrel. Its flat out perfect in the bore. And no obvious military proof stamps. Comparing the front sight indeed looks like it was added in hind sight and not from SA. Sights are for sure canted to the right. The barrel must be shy of being proper tightened. That said, the headspace, firing/accuracy and extraction of rounds worked fine in the 25 test rounds I fired. But I'd still like to get the barrel lined up right at least for aesthetics if nothing else.
I'll try to get a picture of the extractor notch posted here as well.
Mark good eye, I believe the front end of the stock is indeed a replacement. Its a solid attachment, but the faintest of color differences is noticeable under the right light, and pictures make it more obvious than in person. The underside has the cleaning rod channel filled in, so someone really went out of the way to find the proper stock to add on.
Overall I'm feeling confident that this was probably a cut down rifle that was "restored" with a New barrel, replacement wood, and M1892/96 early parts added. Nice parts I'll say, as the finish and condition of everything is very good. I didn't spend an arm and a leg for this rifle, so I feel OK about it being a restoration and not "original".
At the same time, I'm really hoping my new purchase of Serial 7336 turns out to be a unmolested survivor M92/96. Of course, I'll be keeping it posted on here any and all updates of my Krag adventures. Have a good weekend gentlemen!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 9th, 2020 at 3:34am
Print Post  
If the front part of the stock forearm is an add-on, there should be a 'splice' visible under the barrel-band. The splice would be especially visible in the barrel-channel.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2020 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
His last picture in the 5 additional pictures shows that quit well

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2020 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Could you post a couple pictures of the bolt removed from the action? I would like to see some further details to see if it is an older M1892 bolt or a later M1892.

Here's a link showing the differences between Krag bolts:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Thanks. These old Krags sure went through a lot of restorations!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint