Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Side plate Model variants (Read 1357 times)
148Infantry
KCA Forum Member

Collect/shoot/reload
....repeat!

Side plate Model variants
Jun 3rd, 2020 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Hello gents, I have a request, and please if this is already covered by a reference on here I apologize.
My only Krag reference book is Poyer's, which is fine for the level of collecting that I presently am at. But I have several Krags at this time, and a few that are earlier 1894 dated receivers that I would like to have the correct side plate. After looking at the pictures in the book, I'm still unclear of the differences between early and later magazine side plates. Could someone post a picture and show me exactly what to look at? It would be much appreciated. I'm trying to make sure my M1894-96 is as early correct as I can and my M1898 is correct to itself. Thanks in advance!

Underneath our starry flag...Civilize 'em with a Krag

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Side plate Model variants
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
'148Infantry' - I bumped an old thread titled "carbine side cover" that points out main difference, (thickness of tenon), between 1896 and 1898 side-plates. (This thread is visible immediately below your thread).

Note - A model 1898 side-plate will not fit on a model 1892 or model 1896 receiver, unless the tenon on the 1898 plate has been ground to fit into the earlier Receiver's thinner mortise.
(BTW - I do not recommend altering Krag parts and mixing parts across models).

Model 1892 and model 1896 side-plates have contour differences, that are readily visible on the inside.
Some 1892 early plates are numbered, and may lack a blind-hole for the ejector-pin.
I believe all 1892 plates are thinner at the top and lack the long 'feed ridge', found on 1896 and 1898 plates.

(Note - The model 1892 and 1896 side-plates will likely fit on a model 1898 or 1899 Receiver, but, the tenon fit would be sloppy. Cartridge feed might be altered).

Model 1892 Krags that were updated to 1896 features, possibly received model 1896 side-plates(?).

(Parashooter kindly informed me, I was using the word 'tendon' instead of the correct term "tenon". I appreciate the constructive observation and corrected the above post).
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2020 at 6:18pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
148infantry-

When you get a chance, could you post pictures of your Krags and tell us a little about their history and where you got them? We love to hear new stories about Krags and see what people have. There are so many variations with changes that were made officially at Springfield Armory over their short life span and lots of changes by other gunsmiths and Bubba over the years since they were officially removed from active service.

Welcome and I hope you get the answers you need here.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
'5madfarmers' has his reference book listed in KCA 'Classifieds'.
On his web site, he kindly has available some 'free pages'.

A treasure here are notes done by the late 'Bill' Mook.
Pages 33-34 cover Side Plate variations.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

148Infantry
KCA Forum Member

Collect/shoot/reload
....repeat!

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Thanks so much for the quick and very informative responses. This forum is top notch for the expertise and willingness to educate. I very much appreciate it, and thoroughly enjoy learning on here. I fully intend on making a complete report on my entire Krag collection when I get a chance/break for more than a day off work. Best regards!

Underneath our starry flag...Civilize 'em with a Krag

IP Logged

S99VG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 4:25am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 6:36pm:
'5madfarmers' has his reference book listed in KCA 'Classifieds'.
On his web site, he kindly has available some 'free pages'.

A treasure here are notes done by the late 'Bill' Mook.
Pages 33-34 cover Side Plate variations.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

That is some great material and thanks for posting the link.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint