Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
X-Tall front blade (Read 1120 times)
Magilla26
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

X-Tall front blade
Jun 13th, 2020 at 1:38am
Print Post  
I have a model '98 Krag, Serial #314301 that had a Marbles 894 front blade.  Even with the ladder sight laying flat I would hit around a foot high at 50 yds.  I bought an extra tall sight from S&S Firearms.  Now, using Remington 180 grain factory loads and 180 Pro-Hunter handloads, I can hit dead on at 50 yards using the top open sight,  with the ladder at between the 600 and 700 yard mark.  A big improvement.  The sight is rather tall and it seems it could be easily knocked out of line.  Just have to be careful.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: X-Tall front blade
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Hi Magilla. Welcome to KCA.

You have some interesting issue with your Krag rifle, serial number 314301 made at Springfield Armory in February 1901. The original front sight blade for this Model 1898 rifle was 0.413 inches high using the Model 1898, 1901 or 1902 rear sight. Your front blade is unusually high for shooting to or near point of aim.

We would need to know a little more about your Krag and what it looks like.

Can you please post pictures of your Krag including close ups of the rear sight. Is your barrel original to the Krag? Have any modifications been made? Is the barrel damaged or bore in poor condition?

These points can help us figure out what's going on. You should not need that high of a front blade.

Thanks.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 4:28am
Print Post  
I have never seen such a tall front-sight on a Krag.

I am curious which rear-sight you have on your Krag?

If your front blade was a bit shorter, you would not be elevating your rear-sight to 600 /700 yards.

Have you tried firing some groups at 100 yards? What are your groups like at 50 yards?

IMHO - Something is likely fundamentally wrong with your rifle: damaged muzzle crown, stock bedding issues, rear trigger-guard screw too tight, (lifting barrel into barrel-bands & causing odd harmonics).

FWIW - Before taking a Krag to the range, I make sure it is properly assembled. The bottom of the action and barrel need to be in good full contact with the stock and barrel channel.

(You may need to initially loosen guard screws to make sure this is the case).
Then, gripping the stock and hand-guard at the receiver ring, firmly tighten the front guard screw.

Next, view along the top of the barrel. Note the fit of the barrel-bands, looking for a thin bit of daylight. (This shows the barrel is down in its channel and not being forced 'upward' into the barrel-bands and binding or under tension).
Last thing to do is tighten the rear guard screw, until it is "just snug".
If you tighten the rear screw too much, it will lift the barrel and needlessly stress the stock.

These are some points worth inspecting.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2020 at 12:27pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Magilla26
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I received this rifle from a friend whose Aunt had died.  The military stock was cut off right in front of the first barrel band.  I replaced it with a Boyds stock.  Barrel is full length and slugs at .309"  At 50 yds I get five shot groups of around 2" with the open sights. I have not shot it at 100 yds.  It looks like it has the 1901 rear sight and everything functions just fine.  Attached is a photo of the rear sight and the position of the sight on the ladder where it zeroes at 50 yds.

IP Logged

Magilla26
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Here is the rifle full length with Marbles sight.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint