Two more krags found! (Read 1844 times)
Krivak
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Two more krags found!
Jun 14th, 2020 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Hey guys,

Unfortunately, one of my friends dad passed away a few weeks ago.  When they went in the house, they found quite a collection of weapons.  They told me over text that they had an enfield and a few mausers and asked if i wanted to look at them.  Naturally i said yes

Later i can post a few pictures (and some of the current ones are just potato quality, so i need to go back and retake some).  The photo i attached shows one of the serial numbers.  Looks to be a standard rifle, dark wood with the roll up adjustable sight. The sight is forward of the bolt.
The serial number is 138328

I've also got a possible carbine, though i didnt get any other pictures than a really really blurry one of the serial number, so i dont have a reliable serial for that one.
serial is X48661.  The X is blurry as all get out.  I'll get a better picture tomorrow.

I'm interested in the history of these if you guys have any of it, and of the differences between them other than the obvious carbine length.  And later on sunday i'll be taking more pictures, and if you guys have any areas you'd like me to focus on, i can do so.  Time to cruise forgotten weapons on youtube for krags!

Note: I have to link it like this, otherwise it seems the picture spans the page and them some extra length! Shocked

edited for pictures

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Two more krags found!
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
First, let me welcome you to the forum.  I hope you will find your
time here to be enlightening - maybe even fun.  There will be several other messages, I'm sure, to also offer welcomes to you.

There are a couple of answers about your soon to be Krags.  Full information will be available after we can see a few more pictures including clear serial numbers.  Both of the Krags are, and in one case is still, 1898 Krag Rifles.  If you are correct about the serial number being 138328, then that Krag (the cut down one?) was issued to Company B of the 2nd USV (Volunteers) Engineers.  Unfortunately, the number, as it appears in the photo sent so far, looks to be 138323, which is not a hit for historical purposes. That particular rifle is considered an "antique" as it was made prior to January 1, 1899.

The full rifle, number not readable, is an uncut rifle showing many original or government modified details.  Until the number is more clearly available, there is no other information to give without clear pictures.  Does either rifle have a visible cartouche (Intials on the left wrist of the stock to the right of the side plate?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
'krivak' - Welcome to the KCA forum. It is always fun to greet new feet!

'Olderthansome' spotted that you mixed-up your Krag serial numbers.

#138323 is a model 1898 rifle that has been cut-down by a civilian for Hunting. It has a commercial Receiver-Sight (peep) added and the front sight appears commercial. (Value would be around $200-$275 and hard to sell).

The other, still original Krag, #448661 or #348661, is more desirable and would be valued around $600 to $700, depending on bore and stock condition. In the photos the stock appears to have been sanded.

(p.s. - That British No. 4 rifle appears nice. They have been going up in price and demand).

note - So much for logic and trying to read poorly focused #! The actual number is 243881.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2020 at 9:20pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Krivak
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Ok, here's some more pictures as promised, though only of the regular krag rifle.  The other one i did mess up on the serial, and so its an unknown history.  Also, there were no markings whatsoever on the butt of the gun, nor on any sides of it either.
heres an image of it (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Heres some more pictures of the rifle.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

The enfield has the bolt and magazine matching, though i think the magazine has been restamped so not entirely original.
(You need to Login to view media files and links) link to that because why not.  Though its easier to find out more information about this one, BSA shirley, possible sniper variant though i dont think they made it one, just that it was accurate enough for it.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
U.S. model 1898 Krag rifle, #243881, was assembled around December, 1899, to January, 1900.

The serial number is not listed in Springfield Research Services data of numbers found in official documents.

Not a bad looking Krag. An estimate of around $700 seems appropriate. Hopefully the bore is good.

FWIW - The rear-sight is the model 1902 Dickson sight with a swing-up peep. The front sight screw is sticking up. It should be flush. The rear barrel-band  must be loose and appears 'wedged' with paper shim.

IP Logged

Krivak
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 12:52am
Print Post  
So whats with the U mark on the third picture?

And the paper shim is the stuff under the band?

Front sight screw?  The screw on the front of the rear sight?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 2:40am
Print Post  
The "U" on the barrel-band is an assembly aid on U.S. military arms.
The open end of the "U" points toward the muzzle. (Yours is on correctly). The inside of the barrel-band has a slight taper to help it remain in place, when clamped on the stock by tightening the sling-swivel screw.

It is likely your stock wood shrunk or was sanded down, leaving the barrel-band loose. Someone tucked something under the band to create some friction. Maybe the screw-head is 'buggered up' and won't seat fully in the band?

The front screw anchoring the rear-sight base is standing 'proud'. It should be 'flush'. Possibly the screw is an incorrect replacement?

FWIW - There were five major Krag rifle rear-sights that were adopted from 1892 to 1902. There are minor variations on each of these sights.

Each major rear-sight type required a specific model hand-guard. There were four different rifle hand-guard models.

All U.S. Krag sights had the same hole spacing. The holes and screw-shanks measure close to .156" X 30TPI.

Each sight model uses a specific pair of screws. There are three basic screw pairs.

You have the 1902 rear-sight and the correct hand-guard for that sight. The front and rear screw for the 1902 sight are both the same and when tight should be flush with the top surface of the base.
(It is possible the screw is just loose, but, it could also be an incorrect Krag sight-screw or just totally wrong.

I would suggest taking off both screws and comparing the screws and their threads. Don't force a wrong screw into the threads.
Original Krag screws and good reproductions are available. You won't find them at ACE).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint