Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Chamber differences and tough to close bolt (Read 4350 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Chamber differences and tough to close bolt
Reply #15 - Jun 17th, 2020 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
I am not sure where Frank Mallory got the Ordnance drawings. It would take some digging in original reports to find them.

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 3:08am
Print Post  
Thank you all for the input.  I'll keep it ALL in mind when I finally get the rifle back out to shoot.

In the meantime, I ordered a single stage cast iron Lee press today (my regular press is the classic turret which is a cast iron base but the turret is milled aluminum and the turret ring is cast aluminum.  I'm going to see if the cast iron single stage doesn't do a better job on hard to press shoulders and full length cases.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 4:18am
Print Post  
'CoRifleman':

On your next outing, I would suggest keeping the 'fired' brass segregated by rifle.
Try reloading the cases with just 'neck-sizing' and see how that works out for you.

There is a lot of virtue in having 'fire-formed' cases.
A dap of red nail-polish on the base of cases fired in one of your rifles can simplify identification.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Right now we are thinking that peculiar circumstances led to the extreme effort to resize and annealing the shoulder to solve the problem. The new press and segregating your brass may make it a non problem.
Now we have a theoretical quandary on did the shoulder length change with #213000. I did notice the SAAMI chamber dimension notes the chamber shoulder has a .155 MAX radius. I guess .002 is less than max and would be much easier to measure. I sold my 35/40 reamer to a new KCA member so I can not verify it but I remember a miniscule or nonexistent radius on that corner. May have been a SA practice to make the corner with a minimal radius when new and hone a radius on the corners as it got dull. When .155 R was reached the reamer was discarded.

Just measured the shoulder depth on a loose Krag barrel and got 1.669 calculating the shoulder depth from SAAMI using a .064 rim thickness I got 1.6644 with a plus or minus tolerance of  .015. Kind of odd to have a plus or minus tolerance of .015 from a four place decimal dimension, but 1.669 measured is in tolerance. Way different than the 1.62 on the Frank Mallory sourced drawing. The mystery is getting deeper.
The loose barrel just measured was from #410864 so it was later production, #266389 is similar but it is assembled and the measurement is not exact.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2020 at 3:29pm by FredC »  
(You need to Login to view media files and links) ( 405 KB | 3 Downloads )

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
I've got nothing more.

Most references, in regard to barrels, cite early change of muzzle crown from 'flat' crown to a crown with radius, (during model 1892 production), and, (during model 1898 production), a change of barrel breech-face from square-cornered to beveled-cornered.

Frank Mallory, "Krag Rifle Story", reports the change in chamber dimensions during 1899. (I am sure Mallory found a factual basis for this).

Precision chamber casts of a model 1896 barrel and a late model 1898 barrel would be interesting to compare.

I am sure measuring the dimensions of brass, fired in two such chambers, would have the additional variable of differences in free-travel (head-space) of the respective actions.

Note - In the drawings used by Mallory, measurements were taken from the front of the cartridge rim. Rim thickness is absent.

Drawings based on SAAMI dimensions include the cartridge rim thickness, of .064".

« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2020 at 11:28pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 3:52am
Print Post  
I love this place!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 6:44am
Print Post  
So far, I have been unable to find documentation that the Krag barrel chamber was changed from earlier dimensions.

An Ordnance Supply publication, from 1904, lists most of the authorized changes and dates. There is no mention of a change to the chamber.

This publication gives chamber dimensions that do agree with the dimensions in the later drawing used by Mallory.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
CoRifleman wrote on Jun 19th, 2020 at 3:52am:
I love this place!

Yeah, no one gets mad when there are misunderstandings, we just dig a little deeper till we understand or give up. Sometimes the answers are lost in time and can not be figured out.

For BR on that drawing, could the label been mis applied by the publisher and that should have been wearing the label for pre 1899 less than 213000? I deal with some illustrations from a Swedish company catalog and the part numbers go with a different illustration that you would think. I believe they use a different labeling convention that we are used to.
Take a look at that 1.00 Radius on the outside of the barrel, have you ever seen that on any US Krag? I only have Krags with serial numbers higher than 266XXX and have not seen that profile. Do your 1896s have it? I looked at official photos on the KCA page and they all have hand guards so I could not tell if earlier barrels have that feature.

Edit:
Looked at BR's last chart again that is not the price of the change but a decimal length! Was that a temporary change to boost velocity and pressure for the 2200 fps experiment? Unlikely. Massive repeated typos? Doubt it. One would expect the latest permanent change to be the basis for SAAMI drawings. The earlier dimension became the became the basis for SAAMI? If you asked me last week I would say implausible!

We are missing something and now I have no clue what it is.

If anyone has seen that radius on the outside of any Krag barrel please raise your hand.  It would be interesting but right now I am not sure what it would tell you.
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2020 at 6:33pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2020 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
My full length resized .30-40 brass will chamber in either my school rifle or scout Krag but my segregated neck sized brass will not swap between rifles. The chambers are different enough to cause problems. My work around is to use neck sized .30-40 in the school rifle and use neck sized .303 in my scout. Neck sizing will lengthen your brass’s life. I was given a bunch of .303s during the drought and figured this would be a good way to use them. I don’t shoot the scout anymore though. Too many toys.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2020 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
FWIW - Before dabbling with Krags, I never expected 'fired brass' from different rifles of the same caliber to fit, almost interchangeably, without being sized.

Tolerances, wear and dimensional differences, made Full-Length Re-sizing almost a given.

It has only been with Krags that I have experienced the pleasant experience of having 'fired cases' fit in a number of rifles and carbines, without resizing.

It has not happened with all my Krags, but, does with most of them.

I have a model 1896 chamber that allows a bit more expansion in the diameter of the case body. That rifle is my sole exception, now.

(When our Krags were made, the U.S. Military was not reloading fired brass. The early Mercuric Priming had made that unwise!
Cartridges were a one shot deal and rifles just had to accept the production from Frankford Arsenal and war time contractors.

Eventually, Frankford Arsenal developed some reloading sets. It is hard to tell to what extent these were utilized. It certainly would have risked producing ammo of substandard quality.
Reloading seems to have been mainly a civilian shooter thing.
There were those reduced 'gallery practice' reloading sets, which make sense).
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2020 at 3:27pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint