Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Need help deciding found krags at small show (Read 2605 times)
steif
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Need help deciding found krags at small show
Jun 21st, 2020 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Hi,
Very new member here, I was at a small show today, and a dealer there had 5 krag rifles for sale.
I need help deciding if any need to come home with me.
They are all in full rifle configuration, not been sanded and all have readable 1902-1903 cartouches.
and equally disturbing bore condition.. I would suspect these are ex-vfw or legion rifles that have been used with blanks and put up. I believe some rifling may be cleaned up out of each one, but some might be very bad after being cleaned up.
finish ranges between 10%-75%.
here are the reciever dates and numbers
1898  322322
1898  254523
1898  434590
1898  322375
1895  28426
I guess what i would like to know if any of these hit some numbers in the books or srs?
I'm trying to see if we could possibly work a deal for all of them, but time will tell.
Thanks in advance from a total newbie to krag's

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Need help deciding found krags at small show
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 3:20am
Print Post  
Hey "steif", be patient and there will be some experts checking in that will be very interested in your finds. Personally, I don't have the exact info you are looking for but will be anxious to see the results as other members look into the s/n's. In the meantime, if you have any pictures that could help. And welcome to the KCA.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 5:36am
Print Post  
'steif - Welcome to the KCA forum. I always recommend, to someone new to Krags, that they buy books (invest in knowledge), before investing in a lot of guns! It helps to have a plan and an idea of what you want to achieve.

None of the numbers you reported are in the SRS Data.

Krag, #28426, dated 1895 probably deserves the closest scrutiny. Although marked 1895, this would be regarded as a model 1896 Krag.

It is surprising if #28426 is a 30" barrel rifle. That number is surrounded by model 1896 carbines, some of which were 'Rough Rider' carbines.

FWIW - Not a lot of rifles are marked 1895. The 1895 date is usually found on early model 1896 carbines.    

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Steif,

Deciding to buy a Krag when you have no knowledge about or experience with doing so is a risky venture. Krags are a mine field of confusion and deception, at times, and most people who attempt what you are trying usually get burned!

You can only have the advantage in possibly getting a good deal if the prices are extremely low. Otherwise, you will probably be taken at a show like this with Krags you are already describing as with "very bad" and "disturbing" bore conditions.

I am usually extremely focused on bore condition for my Krags (and other vintage military rifles) because this one feature can often make or break the value of a Krag. You can actually get pretty good accuracy out of some Krags with pitted bores but the rifling needs to be relatively intact.

It is important to have, as you pointed out, a Krag still in full military configuration but, since you are not educated or experienced in the what correct military configuration is and is not, with a Krag, you may be missing some salient features that change this feature. Many sellers are outright deceptive about this or simply ignorant themselves and try to sell you something that is not as stated. We have all seen this. Even some of us make these mistakes at times, especially when we were new at this "Krag" thing.

So, without many pictures and descriptions of these Krags, we cannot really help you make a wise decision if you cannot evaluate them yourself from a foundation of experience. We wouldn't want to steer you into making a bad decision based on lack of info.

So, it's a gamble from this point forward until you read enough about Krags and get the experience you need to make that decision quickly or get us pictures and details enough to help. If you get ripped off from a gun show, you'll probably never see that seller again to make it right!

Good luck and let us know what you decide. We'll always be glad to help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint