Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Krag barrel (Read 3623 times)
JeffW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag barrel
Jun 23rd, 2020 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I am new to this forum.  I have three krags.  Two are full length and the other one is Sn # 80,703 which is in a carbine saddle ring configuration.  I have a brass muzzle protector for the two full length rifles and the brass muzzle protectors fit.  On the carbine the muzzle protector does not fit.  Is this an indication this rifle was at one time a full length and cut down?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2020 at 6:17pm by JeffW »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag barrell
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the happy place. An original carbine will have a larger diameter adjacent to the sight. Maybe the reason the cover does not fit. Many cut down rifles have 1903 sights added on which would be too large for the original cover. A photo will help the experts figure out what you have. Since you have done your first post you are now able to add photos.

I have seen different covers for original carbine front sights, maybe that is because the rifle covers do not fit.

PS, do not ask who the nut job is here. Every one will claim to be him.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Jeff,

Welcome to KCA. As a current Krag owner, you must realize how fun, and confusing, Krags can be.

You ask a good question. Fred pointed out that the barrel dimensions are slightly different for carbines, with their shorter barrels, than the rifles. The muzzle covers are different.

As Fred said, also, if you have an altered front sight on your carbine, these Springfield Armory covers may not fit.

The pictures below show the rifle muzzle cover and the carbine sight cover. The carbine sight cover protects the sight but not the muzzle. 

The carbine sight protector pushes down over the front sight from the top. Frequent use of these can slightly scratch the barrel where the steel rubs.

The brass rifle muzzle cover/sight protector sells for around $70-80 when they are seen. Sometimes, you can find them floating around at gun shows for less.

The carbine sight protectors usually run around $200 when you can find them. They are quite uncommon.

Note the "c" stamp on the right side of the carbine protector for carbine.

Poyer's lists the muzzle diameter of the Krag rifle as 0.620 inches and the muzzle diameter of the carbine as 0.635 inches. There's your difference.

Hope that helps!

IP Logged

JeffW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag barrel
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the information.  My barrel near the muzzle measures .655.  Will try to post pictures tomorrow.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2020 at 6:18pm by JeffW »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 12:02am
Print Post  
JeffW - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

FWIW - If you see a brass muzzle/sight cover on a Krag (22 inch) 'carbine-length' barrel, (IMHO), it is simply a rifle muzzle/sight cover that someone has 'unofficially' stretched to fit.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Simply said Krag carbine barrels are the first 22" of the rifle barrel so dimensions at the muzzle will be larger than the rifle.

IP Logged

JeffW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Ok here is some data on my rifle.  Barrel - 22 inches, hand guard 6 3/4 inches, Nose 3 1/2 inches, front sight blade .266 high, no C on front sight or on rear sight. 

IP Logged

JeffW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
How do I add more than one picture?  There is a faint P under the grip of the stock.  Thanks.

IP Logged

JeffW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
And another

IP Logged

JeffW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Last one

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
'JeffW.' - You have a nice looking Krag carbine.

I believe your serial number, #80703, is a bit above the highest range of numbers for the model 1896 carbine.

There are a whole bunch of carbines between #67010 and #79764.

There are a whole bunch of model 1896 rifles, around and after, your number.

(Frank Mallory only found and listed two model 1896 carbines numbered above #79764: #82061 and #82472, both sold from Raritan Arsenal in 1922).

I did measure the muzzle area of a Krag carbine barrel today; my measurements varied between .647" and .652".

Your stock, hand-guard, and barrel appear correct for a model 1896 carbine.

BTW - Additional pictures (for a total of five) can be attached to a Post by going to the left of the screen and clicking on the 'downward-arrow', behind "attachments". This will give you additional 'Browse' boxes to attach pictures to your Post.

Your front sight blade appears too tall. (.266" is the correct measurement for an 1896 carbine-blade, but, that includes the entire blade, (bottom-hidden part to top).
Your rear sight is a model 1896 rifle sight. Carbine leaf graduations go up to '20'. Base and leaf of carbine sight are marked with "C".

IP Logged

JeffW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much for the assessment of my carbine.  Can you tell me anything about the Model number?  It looks like it was stamped over.  Thanks again.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 12:30am
Print Post  
The over stamped Model date is an anomaly that has yet to be explained with any certainty. It may have been an unused receiver that was assembled at a date later than when it was made and re-stamped with a later model date.

I have one of these also. It is a Model of 1899 Altered for Knife Bayonet and Sling Carbine (actually a Philippine Constabulary rifle) that is clearly over stamped from Model 1898.

Sometimes I suspect it is not a true over stamp but possibly an error in the stamping or a small fragment of wood or metal that interfered with the correct model stamp. The date die could have even been damaged before a number of receivers were marked.

Interesting anomaly which is unusual but not specifically rare or more valuable.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 1:07am
Print Post  
I don't see any 'over-stamp' or anomaly in JeffW's photograph of his Krag's markings.
Actually, it appears very normal, to me.

Model 1896 receivers are often found with the "1896" deeply stamped to the point that the date is easily misread as "1898".

It is very common on 'GunBroker' to find a model 1896 Krag listed as "a model 1898".

(The "9" over-stamp on model 1898 receivers is a different situation).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint