Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Dum Dum Bullets (Read 1254 times)
Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Dum Dum Bullets
Jul 5th, 2020 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
I tried to educate myself on dumdum bullets, as it is mentioned with Krags. If I got this right, dumdum bullets are soft nosed bullets that expand and cause greater tissue damage. In the era of the Krag this type of bullet became the norm for the hunting world with the new high velocity bullets as it could down an animal more affectively and "humanely". Still used today, and often required for hunting. Full metal jacket bullets were dictated by the Hague Conference.

Dumdum bullets are named from where they were invented, the arsenal in Dum Dum of northern India. Here is a period article that explains most of this. I suppose a lot of the military buffs knew all this. But it is the first time for me knowing this.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Dum Dum Bullets
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
The "Outing" magazine article has some serious errors with the chronology of arms.

examples:

1. Error Regarding - Snider Breech-Loading conversion of Enfield M.L. Rifles and sale of unconverted Enfield Rifles to American C.W. combatants.

(The British Government Enfield-Snider-Conversions were performed after the American Civil War.
The .577 caliber "Enfield"-Muzzle-Loaders, used by the Confederacy and Union forces, were privately made copies by Birmingham and London based manufacturers. These arms were 'commercial proofed' by private Proof-Houses and are usually marked with the rather misleading and official-sounding "Tower" name.
Adding to the confusion, the British Government also purchased privately made 1853 "Enfield" Rifles, marked "Tower", in the mid-1850's during the Crimean War).

2. Error Regarding -The mention of Gras and Chassepot rifles being used during the Franco-Prussian War-1871.

(The Chassepot needle-gun along with numerous other supplemental arms were used by the French Military, during this conflict.

The Gras rifle came later. It was a metallic cartridge conversion and update of the combustible cartridge Chassepot).

FWIW - Old literature, (just like recent & current literature and the internet), can be a wonderful source of information, but, it also creates or perpetuates many myths.

Also, BTW - Human creativity, being what it is, after the "Dum-Dum Bullet" was banned by Convention, the British devised a light-nosed 'Spitzer' pointed projectile that 'tumbled' on impact, to create severe wounds.

(The English are a diabolical people, as my ancestors learned).

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 1:58am
Print Post  
Actually, I only skim-read the article to get to my point of interest about the source and definition of dumdum rounds. But I wouldn't have known about the errors you pointed out. Hopefully, my understanding about dumdum rounds from this article are more factual than not. All the same, thanks for clearing up the errors.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Here are your Dum-Dum bullets.  Just a few examples though any metal patched lead tipped bullet will suffice as a "Dum-Dum".  Even Sierra's (or any other bullet makers's bullets for that matter) TMK style are dum-dums since the plastic tip replaces the mallibility of a lead tip.

You could say FMJ and AP bullets save lives by just boring holes in the enemy or an animal.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
I think we should specify, at this point, the difference between Dum-Dum bullets and Dummy bullets:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
The link 'Culpeper' provided, to Wikipedia's "Dum-Dum" article, takes you to an interesting read and some good graphics.

There is an interesting BMJ 1896 article on the origin of the 'Dum-Dum Bullet'.

The German propaganda piece displays:

"The Notorious Dum-Dum Projectiles

with such middle/core works 
(maybe this is an idiom meaning - "made with altering cores"?)

of Germany's Enemies".

The Wikipedia article discusses the 1899 Hague Convention which 'banned' the use of military expanding-bullets in warfare.
The participating Nations voted 22 to 2 against "Dum-Dum" style projectiles.
Britain and the U.S. (Gen. Crozier) defended Military use of expanding bullets.

I have marked the German picture of "Dum-Dum" projectiles.
The first two 'Balle D' spitzer rounds appear to have had their 'points' slightly deformed.
The third projectile appears cut by pliers.
The fourth cartridge is a 'Balle M' round, with a cavity drilled into the normally 'flat-nosed' bullet.

(Note - Because the French Lebel model infantry rifles and carbines had tubular magazines, provision had to be made to prevent bullet noses from contacting the primers of cartridges 'lined up' in the magazine tube.
The cartridge case shape worked to a degree, but, the flat-nosed "M" projectile and the later 'Balle D' circular groove, around the primer-pocket, assured there was no chain reaction in the magazine-tube).
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2020 at 4:45am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
I hope, I am not perpetuating an "Urban Legend", but, a number of references on the British Lee-Enfield use to tell this story:

During "The Great War" some British Empire Troops would deform or cut the tip off-of some of their Mark VII .303 rounds. This was done to make improvised "Dum-Dum" rounds.

This was easy to do, since the forward part of the core of the Mk VII bullet, contained an aluminum 'plug', just under the jacketed tip.

Cutting off the bullet tip was a dangerous practice. Such a round, when fired, risked the lead core being 'blown out' of the barrel, while the remaining 'jacket tube' lodged part-way down the bore.

The British SMLE rifle had a 'swinging-plate' magazine cut-off. This 'plate' blocked the feed of cartridges, until it was swung outward.
The Lee-Enfield 'cut-off plate' had a hole that helped facilitate manufacture.
This 'cut-off' hole was reportedly used by British "Tommy's" to shear off the .303 bullet tip to make improvised "Dum-Dum" rounds.
(This can work and we do know the English are Devils)!

The SMLE was simplified during the Great War to expedite manufacture and the 'cut-off' was dispensed with.

In the post-war period, when the 'cut-off'-plate returned to the SMLE, it no longer had that 'manufacturing hole'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint