Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Value of a pristine 1899 Carbine? (Read 5546 times)
Hal_M_Hare
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Re: Value of a pristine 1899 Carbine?
Reply #15 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
trying a photo

IP Logged

Hal_M_Hare
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Reply #16 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
another photo.

still working on this!  Not getting the details I desired, It is a painful process.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Well it is beautifully done modified carbine. I see a 96 stock and blued receiver and hardware. Unfortunately not original. Others will give you more details. Dick's info on using Apple products will not apply if you are using a windows machine.
I right click on the photo to be edited and choose open with paintbrush. Paint brush will have an Icon near the upper left that says resize photo or something like that. If you are starting with a very big photo try 50 or 60 percent in place of 100%. If you need to get a small amount decrease 96% percent could work. Once you enter a number it should show up in both directions.
When finished save it as a revised name with a JPG extension (keeps prom destroying the original). After you have saved it check properties of the saved photo. If you hit it well all is good. If not delete it and try again on the original.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
It appears we are going to be seeing a Pretty Krag, but not, a Pristine Krag.

The action is either a model 1899 or 1898, the rear-sight is a 1902 rifle sight.

The stock is a model 1896 stock in Italian walnut. We need to see more forearm to tell if it is a rifle stock or replacement 'long - forearm' carbine stock.

A sling has been added. The butt-swivel does not appear to be recessed into the wood and is rather far forward.

The metal appears attractive and commercially refinished.

My hunch is that this is going to prove to be a rather nice 'Hunting/Sportered' Krag.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Wow! That stock and metal sure have been redone well! The stock looks gorgeous. Along the lines of a Turnbull restoration, quality-wise from these couple pictures. It appears to have been sanded a good bit from the soft, tapered edges of the grasping grooves but has been well contoured and refinished professionally.The bluing of the metal the same way.

Unless there are major issues, this Krag will carry a premium price over regular, average sporterized (heavily refinished or altered) Krags. It will not have the value of a military configuration Krag that has not been refinished. Hopefully the bore is nice and it will be a great shooter.

It certainly will look nice hanging on a wall or taking to the range, though. Quite an eye-turner!

More pictures needed to enjoy more but thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

Hal_M_Hare
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Reply #20 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Thanks all for sharing your thoughts and continued patience with a newcomer.  I will work on some more detailed photos.  I am really anxious to find out what I have--or don't have. 

Best wishes,

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Hal
What a beautiful piece of wood and suburb refinish work overall!  Looks like a very nice sporter.   The pics are appreciated.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint