Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1896 SRC (Read 1337 times)
1896kragsrc
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 SRC
May 23rd, 2010 at 8:02am
Print Post  
New to the forum and wanted to introduce my carbine and get a few ideas as to value!

1895 Variant Serial # 281XX. Has Carbine Sight and 1896 JSA Cartouche, circle 'P' behind trigger guard.

The bore is shiny and the rifling looks pretty strong.

I would be happy to hear any comments about this carbine.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: 1896 SRC
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2010 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Well . . . . . . . . . even that overall picture shows a couple of apparent anomalies.

I'm sure it is just the dim lighting, and a fold in the material, but at first glance the front sight APPEARS to have some sort of barrel band? I hope it does not.

More seriously, a carbine that early should probably have the thin-wrist stock, ESPECIALLY if the cartouche is "JSA/1896" - and, the front sight blade does appear to have been replaced with a taller one.

Aside from that, it looks very nice. That certainly is the correct serial number range, and the 30" stock cannot be faked - the question is only whether it has been replaced, and of course, the thin ones DID break in service.

1896C rear sights have been WIDELY faked, many by a guy in Indiana, so that is always a concern.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo