10 Restoring a 1896? (Read 9108 times)
1096369fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Restoring a 1896?
Jan 21st, 2011 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Hey Guys,

I am a newbie here, and just found your forum, great place to speak Krag! This is my first Krag project, I am a upset as I thought the stock was uncut, but about 1" is missing from the front of the stock, under the nose piece (At least there are no extra holes in the receiver!), I got this off Gunbroker for what I think was a pretty good price, and I intend to restore it to it's original condition (You need to Login to view media files and links) (As much as I can anyway!)

The barrel is rough cut at 24" It looks like someone cut down the nose piece to make a kinda manlicher style stock out of it, so I will need a new barrel (Thinking a new one from CMP) Handgard, front and rear sights, a nose peice.  If anyone has the parts I am interested, also if anyone has the front part of a Krag stock, I would like to repair mine by gluing and doweling a patch to the front under the nose piece which I hope won't be visable. This piece is very pretty.... the stock is gorgeous so must be a repro as there isn't a scratch or dent on it. The action is nice too.... the barrel looks like it is new as well  bright shiny bore, with sharp rifeling. (I can't help but wonder what the original owner was thinking!)  Here is a link to some pics.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Fred

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Restoring a 1896?
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
If it were my Krag, I would put on a 1903 Springfield front sight or Lyman Banded front sight, and put on a common original Krag rifle rear sight, and complete the Mannlicher look.  You could play with your Krag as a shooter and enjoy that mint bore, while you slowly decide and assemble parts for a well thought-out restoration.  It looks like you got a nice collection of 1896 Krag parts for $295.  If the barrel is 24" long, it is likely 6" was cut off of it.  Your stock looks like it could be an original arsenal replacement, hence no cartouche mark.  Some wood has obviously been cut off the fore-end tip.  The distance from where the stock steps down for the rear barrel band and where it steps down for the front band is approx. 15&1/2 inches.  If the distance on your stock is shorter than this, the shoulder for the front band has been set back.  (My Krag Rifle stocks measure about 17&7/16 inches from the shoulder for the rear band to the fore-end tip).
  I would caution that restoring a Krag can easily cost more money than buying a correct specimen (and it is always a 'restoration' or 'fake').

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
That Krag is screaming for a scout mount from Kraghause and a long eye relief scope!!!! If it was mine I would do that in a flash!
Restoration would probably not be cost effective and you can buy rifles with full barrels and sights intact with only the stock cut for reasonable prices from time to time.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 3:42am
Print Post  
Fred:  If your Krag barrel is actually 24" (from muzzle to bolt face), I estimate 3 inches of fore-end was cut off of the stock and the modified front band was moved rearward.
  The quality of the inletting on your stock suggests its original to me.

IP Logged

1096369fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Hey Guys,

Yeah, sometimes you get the bear...  and sometimes.... well you know....

My stock messures 14.5" from the rear of the mid band to the end of the (front) stock, or 24" from the breech.

I did buy it 'cause the owner said it was un cut..... but I am sure, it was an honest mistake. So pay your bucks and take your chances.... I am thinking what to do next.... While not historically accurate.... I am thinking of cuting back the stock a couple of inches more and replacing the front band, (IF I can make the stock taper work!)  and,
making it into a short rifle..... It would be a shame to make a carbine outta it... maybe rebarrel it with a used barrel, and cut it to around 27" or so to keep it in the proper proportions..... Hhhhhhmmmmm, I will have to think on this one!

I am not crazy about the manlicher look to the stock... but have to admit it was well done!

Sometimes it is best not to over task the plumbing... (Or my wallet!)

Thanks!
Fred
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2011 at 1:41pm by 1096369fred »  

IP Logged

1096369fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Better Pic of assembled rifle.

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
I think it would cost some money and time and good work to make it look like a long rifle, but then it still wouldn't be right.  I think the mannlicher stock is looking pretty sweet.  I too think I would put a scope mount on it and keep it the way it is.

Just my thoughts.

Tom

IP Logged

fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 12:20am
Print Post  
You got a nice rifle at a good price.  If it were mine, I would cut that barrel to 22", cut the stock, install an '03 style front sight, and be proud of your "carbine".

daveboy

IP Logged

1096369fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Hey Guys,

Hope I am not beating a dead horse, or boring anyone (This is interesting to me... but I am a little odd!)

While searching for Krag part I came across this thread.... It is pretty close to what I want to do with my rifle.... My barrel is about an inch longer then this one (not that that matters... Roll Eyes)

As much as I would like to restore my rifle to original I cant justify the expense of a Rebarrel /Restocking.

It is my second choice, but when life gives you lemons... sometimes you gotta make lemonade!

IP Logged

1096369fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
'nother pic.

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 2:33am
Print Post  
I think yours looks great the way it is.  Personally, I would leave it.

Tom

IP Logged

1096369fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Hey Guys,

Today I was hunting for 1903 front sights... and I notices that the Barrel of my Krag is (where it is cut),  .645, and the Barrel of my 1903 is .605..... How are guys using the smaller '03 front sight on the larger Krag barrel??? (Or am I rather dense, and missing something?)

I was looking on Sarco's and Numeric's web sites, and I noticed that there are two types of front  sight bases... one has a dovetail notch, one does not. Does anyone know which I need for my currently sightless krag?

Thanks!
Fred

IP Logged

steved66
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 3:46am
Print Post  
I don't know anything about the different barrel diameters or how to mount the 1903 sight base but I think the two types of front sight bases offered by Sarco are for specific to the 1903 Springfield and the 1903A3 Springifeld.  The 1903 sight base has a dovetail cut into it for the sight key, a separate piece which actually holds the sight blade.  On the 03A3, the sight blade is pinned directly into the sight base, not a separate dovetailed sight key.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Fred:  Your question got me measuring some Krag and 03 & 03-A3 Springfield barrels.  My 03-A3 steps-up from .620" (in front of sight band) to .649" (behind the front sight band).  My RIA 1903 steps-up from .621" to .647".  I never realized that 1903 & 03-A3 barrels change diameter so abruptly.  This must create a shoulder the front-sight band rests against.
  '98 & '99 Krag Carbine barrels I measured were .655" in diameter at the front-sight base.  (The Krag barrels have a smooth taper and no abrupt diameter change).
  An 1898 rifle I have that's barrel was cut to about 22&1/4" measures .650" in front of a (unknown maker) banded sporter front-sight.  Another 22&1/4" shortened rifle barrel, with a Marble's banded front sight, steps-up from .627" to .660".  I suspect gunsmiths and Springfield turned Krag barrels in a Lathe and machined a step at the muzzle to accommodate the smaller inside diameter of the '03 sight.  A good machinist could do this without taking the barrel off the receiver.  Another possibility is to bore the '03 or '03-A3 sight base to a larger inside diameter.  (I prefer the look and simplicity of the '03-A3 front sight over the 1903).

IP Logged

1096369fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the reply and insights! I talked to my gunsmith, and he is going to turn down the front of the barrel for me so that I can use an '03 front sight base.... I think numeric has the '03a3 type as a package for around $25 which I think is about the best deal around. If anyone knows others please illuminate me! I am also looking at Sarco, and a few other places.

Just for the good of the order....(I am sure you guys have found him and I am just reinventing the wheel) but I located this gent.... Mr. DeChristopher, (Right next to  the town where I work), he has lots of Krag parts at what seems to me to be good prices! My. Gunsmith, John Robinson recommends him!

Thanks!
Fred

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo