Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 My Shooter (Read 16741 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My Shooter
Reply #15 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:36am
Print Post  
kragluver:  Yes, the downside of the micrometer versions of both the Redfield (#70K) and the Pacific (K2) sights is that there is no quick release to remove the slide from its base.  It is very tedious to rotate the vertical adjustment knob until its threads are fully clear of the base or the slide is at least high enough to remove the rifle bolt.  By the way, the Redfield and Pacific sights are entirely different. The "Western  Gunsight Company" was started by Redfield in 1909.  In the late 1920's Redfield renamed his company due to objections from the Western Cartridge Company.  Western and Redfield sights are identical.  This is probably what you were thinking about;  not a company purchase but a name change.

IP Logged

173rdAbn
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector! (but can't
afford to!)

Reply #16 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Good Grief!....OK, so which would be the preferred sight..Redfield or Pacific?  Or is there a preferred one?  Seems no matter which one is chosen, the most problematic area is bolt removal.  Frankly, bolt removal for me is about once per year, if that.  The Pacific looks infinity simpler for adjustment, but consider installation, removal (if ever), and stamina, who's the winner??

IP Logged

JimmyK
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Reply #17 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 1:35am
Print Post  
There are two versions of the Pacific sight—a target model and a hunting model. Neither require any wood removal, only the removal of the cut-off. The target version is a little bulkier and is adjusted via knobs. The hunting version has the exact same "frame" but is adjusted to zero via screws. The hunting sight is thus just a stripped-down model.

I've a Pacific rear sight on a 24" barreled Krag with a 1905 type front sight as used on a 1903 Springfield. It's about the same height as most Krag front sights so it seems that inverting the peep would be an unusual modification. Maybe the guy that did that modification is the same fellow that keeps reinstalling original barrel mounted Krag rear sights backwards.

IP Logged

Old Soldier
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:52am
Print Post  
For that sight try leeshop@starband.net. He has such stuff. He is mostly a Winchester guy, but has much good stuff.

" Should it come to war... we shall place our trust in God and our Long Rifles" Continental Congress

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
I like the Pacific K1 sight.  It is compact and light.  When you remove the 'coin-slotted' side lock screw, the slide can be pulled off the base (to clear the way for bolt removal).  The slide is easily returned to its sighted in position.  The elevation set-screw shaft is smooth and not threaded into the sight base.  The K2 target version is a hassle to remove from its base, since it threads into the base.  Both Pacific sights, (as manufactured), require notching the stock to have a full range of adjustment.  I would not use these sights on an unspoiled Krag stock.  The way the Pacific sights fill the magazine cut-off opening is a definite plus.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
A sporterized 1899 carbine with Pacific K1 sight.  Note the notch cut into the stock.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Same 1899 Krag put on "un-notched" stock.  Note the Pacific K1 base touches the wood and the slide can not be fully lowered.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
My favorite "no-drill" Krag peep sight is the Redfield 102-K.  It requires no removal of wood.  Loosening the coin-slotted side lock screw, allows the slide to be pulled up enough to allow bolt removal for cleaning.  The elevation set screw allows slide to be returned to sighted in position (if the set screw was utilized properly).  The Redfields do require a cut-off shaped shaft to fill the magazine cut-off hole for smooth magazine feeding.  The Redfield 70K micrometer versions look nice, but it is probably quicker to remove the sight from the action, than the slide from its base.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Redfield 70-K with 'hunter knobs'.

IP Logged

173rdAbn
KCA Forum Member

afford to!)

Reply #24 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Well, looks like a Redfield is going to top her.  VERY spendy, but I guess they ain't gonna get any cheaper.

Found out she's a "duffle cut" - had a separation at the range last weekend. 

Now what?? Undecided

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
173rdAbn:  By 'separation', I am assuming your forestock separated from the rest of the stock at the barrel band, due to a hidden cut.  I would try using a short length of 1/4 inch threaded rod (cut off from a steel or brass machine screw or bolt).  I would drill holes, that line up, into the ends of the separated forearm and main stock.  Once I was sure everything lines up and can slide back together, I would put epoxy glue on the threaded rod and mating wood surfaces, and slide everything back together.  I would take the precaution of putting a film of vaseline on the barrel where it might contact the glue joint.  I would use some masking or duct tape as a temporary "barrel band", while the epoxy is setting.  Once the epoxy has hardened, clean off the vaseline, tape, and excess epoxy.  Put everything back together and you should be good to go.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #26 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Duct tape will remove finish!!!  Don't ask how I know.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Wow!  Good to know Dick.  I guess masking tape would be "Ok" or some wraps of shoe-lace or waxed string.  I just would hate for someone to permanently glue their barrel band to the stock while the epoxy was setting-up.  Chuck

IP Logged

173rdAbn
KCA Forum Member

afford to!)

Reply #28 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:17am
Print Post  
YO Dick,
OK I'm gonna ask....How DO you know. Grin

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #29 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 4:23am
Print Post  
Well, I was doing some photography for my first book and had to substitute a similar but incorrect cleaning rod for the picture. To make matters worse, the rod was an inch too long, so it couldn't actually be in the groove. I taped it (out of camera view, and thoroughly) so it wouldn't move, and lined up the shot, very carefully. All went well - you cannot tell the rod is not in place - until I went to remove the tape.
Oops!!  I've smeared all manner of "stuff" on the raw "bands" and while the color is almost right, the gloss level isn't, yet. I'm still working on it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo