Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Two Carbines, what do I have ? (Read 10216 times)
Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Two Carbines, what do I have ?
Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
The first one is a cut-down rifle, though it may have a genuine carbine stock.

The second one appears to be a genuine carbine, all the way. Note the differences.

IP Logged

oldfireguy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Dick,
Thanks for the help. What can I look for if anything to tell if that's a carbine stock on the first one and do I care ?

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Is barrel band held by spring (carbine) or pin (rifle)?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - May 1st, 2013 at 12:03am
Print Post  
oldfireguy:  You have a nice looking 1899 Krag Carbine.  I wonder if your Model 1901 rear sight is the Carbine version?  What is the highest number on the sight ladder?  What is the highest number on the left side of the sight base?  I'm guessing some damage occurred to the serial number stamping die, when your receiver was marked.  I have an 1899 Model Krag Carbine that is numbered 8,162 lower than yours (picture attached).  A flawed stamp would explain the peculiar and easily mistaken "3".  It is easy to misread 3s, 6s, and 8s on some Krag Receivers.  A lot of Model 1896 Krags are misread as Model 1898.

IP Logged

oldfireguy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - May 1st, 2013 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Yes the band is held by a spring=carbine.

I dont have my third grader here but will see if I can manage a pic of the rear sight.

I am glad to know I have genuine carbine and apparently a carbine stock on the other. Can I find a handguard that will work on the cut down rifle or will a cut down rifle always be a cut down rifle, I can be pretty happy with it as is. Just curious ?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - May 2nd, 2013 at 12:43am
Print Post  
oldfireguy:  The sight ladder on your 1899 Krag Carbine is correct for the model 1901 Carbine sight.  The left side of the 1901 Carbine sight & base should have the markings shown by the attached photo.  The 1901 sight is correct for 1899 Carbines in your carbine's serial number range.  The hand-guards, for the 1899 Carbines with 1901 sights, were initially the same as the Rifle hand-guard.  Not the later type with the wood 'bump' sight protector.  Your Carbine has the correct hand-guard.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2013 at 1:04am
Print Post  
oldfireguy:  Your shortened 1898 Krag Rifle appears to have been practically altered to be a 'Deer Rifle'.  Your Carbine stock is worth a lot more than a 'cut-down' Rifle stock.  The overly long side-plate screw and missing magazine-cutoff suggest it once carried a Redfield, #102 "no drill", after market peep sight.  (Picture attached).  Your front sight may be a modified sight from a Model 1895 Winchester-Lee Straight Pull (U.S. Naval Rifle).  This should be a fun rifle to shoot and hunt with.  The only modifications I would make would be to put a magazine-cutoff on it (a commonly available $15 part).  You might also consider finding a Redfield #102K peep sight.  It looks like you have the screw for one.  The correct issue side plate screw is not hard to find or expensive.

IP Logged

oldfireguy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - May 3rd, 2013 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Thanks again for the very good info. The side of the carbine rear sight is exactly as it appears in your picture. When I asked about a handguard I was curious if there would be a handguard that would fit on the cut down rifle. Not that it is necessary other than looks.

Thanks for pointing out the possibility that there had been a peep sight on this gun. I am pretty sure after seeing your photo that I have seen that same sight in a box of parts, somewhere.

I was also thinking that his would be a vey fun rifle to hunt with. If I can locate that sight I will post another pic with it installed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo