Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 bore dark and warn (Read 36581 times)
Hotwire
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: bore dark and warn
Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 1:12am
Print Post  
I Like the Krag action, I would re barrel it, with a custom barrel and just reuse the action. More info on these salt and pepper rifles would be great.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 1:29am
Print Post  
I did not buy one.  Did any other Forum participant?  Does anyone have a late 1950s or early 1960s gun magazine with a "Ye Olde Hunter" advert?  If so, please scan & post.

Hotwire, you are in BC.  Where would you get a new barrel?

Another general question about Norse Krags: What are the dimensions of the barrel threads?  Would a good barrel from a Swedish Mauser fit? Could one be made to fit?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Caution - Norwegian Krag barrels have a Left-hand thread.

IP Logged

Hotwire
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 2:14am
Print Post  
reincarnated wrote on Oct 29th, 2014 at 1:29am:
I did not buy one.  Did any other Forum participant?  Does anyone have a late 1950s or early 1960s gun magazine with a "Ye Olde Hunter" advert?  If so, please scan & post.

Hotwire, you are in BC.  Where would you get a new barrel?

Another general question about Norse Krags: What are the dimensions of the barrel threads?  Would a good barrel from a Swedish Mauser fit? Could one be made to fit?

I could get a barrel blank in 6.5 x 55. Then Left hand thread it lol, and go about fitting it to the action. I wanted to keep the current barrel as its numbers match.

Or get it rebored, to a calibre in the same cartridge family, or even better bored and lined. AS for being in Canada, Were not without gunsmiths here... lol

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 3:07am
Print Post  
My question about barrels was one of source.  I only know of 2 Canadian barrel makers.  Both cater to the high-end custom gun trade & both probably have lists with enough customers-in-waiting to keep them busy for the rest of their lives.

IP Logged

Hotwire
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Ah, yes, I understand now. That is something Ill have to look into. sorry that I read that wrong. Tongue

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Canada's best barrel makers.

IP Logged

Hotwire
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
So, Its been a while, and the firearm has been in storage since my last post. I bought a house, with a nice garage and will be planning on a workshop soon enough (with a loft for my ham radio shack). So more work is to be done, on ALL of my firearms then.

As for now, I will be bringing this Krag into work with me to get some hands on time. Im an Armourer for Canadas Glorious Army, and I have a WAY better workshop and tooling there at my disposal. I was not keen on mixing work and pleasure.. but I dont see any other choise for this poor rifle at this time. If I want to hunt with it.. I had better get on this NOW!

IP Logged

capnkwig
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
  High Cap'n

I would suggest that before you go the fire lap route try paper patching.  plain old news print is pretty aggressive. try a half dozen PP first.  It's aggressive on corrosion ad crud but much less so on steel.  more of a polish.

Hope this helps Cap'n

B-breathe
R-relax
A-aim
S-squeeze

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo