Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 I need some help with an 1894 Krag (Read 17467 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: I need some help with an 1894 Krag
Reply #15 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Some pictures showing Krag barrel-bands and components.

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I bought the band to get the swivel. Figured I could just resell the band. Also, the magazine cover has some type of repro screw. Its not original. Not sure why the screw on my band won'tfit through the swivel. Its just a little too tight.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Bill:  Some Krag swivel screws were 'mushroomed' on the tip, after assembly, so that if they loosened up they would not fully unthread and be lost. - IMHO

(If it were mine, I would dress the threads at the tip of the screw with emery cloth or a small file.  Another option is to slightly enlarge the hole on the swivel.  These would be invisible adjustments).

Side-plate screws show up on ebay, often with a side plate, for around $15.  I believe S&S Firearms sells a reproduction screw for $5.

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Not sure if the photo shows the difference very well, but I got most of the finish off of the hand guard, and the wood seems to still have the dark brown color to it (although it looks well sanded). I did remember to remove the rear sight so that I could slide the hand guard down the barrel. I'll have to clean some more of the flakes off, and can start on the stock.  Not looking forward to the long nights of scraping off old finish.  Glad that I disassembled. The hand guard retainers are rusting and started to rust the barrel.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Bill:  Is that a bit of No.5 Mk1 Lee-Enfield 'Jungle Carbine' on the edge of your picture?

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Yes it is.  I bought it as a project rifle last summer and finally got to take it out shooting today.

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Got the bolt today. I'm guessing it is the 1896 style due to the flat part being shorter than the 1898 style. It looks to be in very good condition. I thought the seller tried to re-blue it, but I do see some light surface rust, so it might have a lot of the original bluing on it. I threw in a better photo of my No5 too. I bought it for $250 in June or July. It was missing a top hand guard, magazine, and sling swivel. Also had a lot of rust around the magazine area, but nothing that would make it dangerous to shoot. It took a while to clean it up, and to get the top hand guard (which doesn't fit correctly). Nice little rifle, but I'm not sure about the accuracy.  I have four more Enfields (2 No4's, a 1917 BSA No1MKIII* and a No1MKIII* Ishapore). Have a Long Branch on the way which I'm probably going to have to sell. I'm mainly into the old Russian and Finn rifles. Love the Springfields too--they're just a little more pricey. So, I'm lucky that I picked up the two I have at such good prices.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Bill:  That looks like a nice model 1896 bolt.  Were you able to remove the ejector pin and install the ejector?

(p.s.  You better keep your Krags and Lee-Enfields apart, or, you could end up with some unwanted Model 1899 Remington-Lee rifles)!

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 4:55am
Print Post  
Yes, I got the ejector in. Now, just waiting on the side plate w/screw. I'll try to sell the repro screw and the side plate on Ebay. Same with the hand guard band--after I figure out how I want to proceed with the swivel.  Including the price of the rifle, I'll probably have a little over $370 in this if I'm able to sell the spare parts at cost.  I don't think that I'll need to dye the stock. Seems like the coating on it is making it look lighter.

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 5:05am
Print Post  
There are a few older Enfields that I'd love to own. I'd like to get some from the mid 1800's through early 1900's...maybe I'll get lucky on a few of those...not likely, but you never know. I have a fantasy that I'll run into an unknowing person who wants to dump some old guns they found lying around.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 6:07am
Print Post  
Here's some Martini-Henry rifles 'lying around' that got 'dumped'!

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Yeah, I could use a few of those

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Finally removing the shiny coating from this stock. I may try to darken it a little, I'm not sure. I'll try to get some pics up when I'm done...this might take a while as I have to try to remove the varnish that is in the grain.

Edited: I got most of the varnish and am trying to get the stock to look somewhat "normal" again.  Took some photos outside and was able to see some areas that need to be blended a little better.  The natural light exposed the flaws that I missed while working inside.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:04am by Bill »  

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Aug 3rd, 2015 at 12:57am
Print Post  
More photos.  The rifle is almost finished.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint