Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Price for an 1899 carbine (Read 9633 times)
kw64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Price for an 1899 carbine
Feb 26th, 2015 at 4:45am
Print Post  
I am looking to purchase an 1899 carbine.  For such a carbine with good metal, very good bore and wood that is original with no major cracks and with cartouches, what is a reasonable price to expect to pay?  I own a very nice 1898 rifle that I paid $850 for, but do expect to have to pay more for a carbine, but how much more?  Many thanks
Ken

IP Logged

98src
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Price for an 1899 carbine
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
The M1899 is the least expensive of the Carbines. You can find a decent example on Gun Broker for $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 if you persevere.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Price for an 1899 carbine
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
I agree with the estimates given by '98src'.  Do not be too obsessed with having an acceptance 'cartouche'.  IMHO - Many nice Model 1899 carbines will have had Arsenal or Field 'stock replacement' and may lack a 'cartouche'.

A lot of Krag Stocks have 'cartouche' dates that do not seem to agree with the year of the Receiver's production.

Krags saw a lot of use and were subject to repairs, sight and hand-guard changes, and possible refurbishing.

Be patient and look for a carbine with even patina, wear and use, on all components.  It should appear that 'things' have been together for a long time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint