Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
3 Brothers and a Cousin (Read 10122 times)
Zgun
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

3 Brothers and a Cousin
Mar 2nd, 2015 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Hi all, thought I would share the small KRAG collection my brother and I have.

Left to right:

1899 Danish Krag. Manufactured 1910, SN 67664. SN on wood and metal all matching. No import mark, was duffel cut. Metal re-blued by prior owner. Bore is in excellent shape and very strong. Bolt does not match gun SN but is all matching to itself.

1898 US Krag. SN 460942. Missing hand guard. I now have a repro from S&S in the finishing stage. 1902 Rear sight. Bore is OK,  some pitting with decent rifling. Stock is cracked in several places but serviceable. Working on repairing the cracks and feeding it some BLO.

1898 US Krag. SN 240766.  Cut down rifle. 1902 rear sight. Front sight is home made and ugly but effective. Been in the family since 1928. My Grandmother told me a long time ago my Grandfather purchased the Krag from the DCM for $8.50.  The original bolt body cracked at the lug in the late 50's and was replaced. I have the shipping paper from the bolt body purchase. The replacement bolt body was $12.50. Great family stuff with this one. My dad, my brother and I all killed our first buck with this rifle. Bore is above average, shiny with strong rifling. We don't hunt with it much these days but every once in a while one of takes it for a walk in the woods.

1894 US Krag. SN 18885.  My brother bought this one at an auction a couple of years ago for $175.00. The bad news is a sporter stock, no hand guard, no barrel bands, no rear sight and the cutoff lever removed and a peep added. The good news is the barrel is the original length with original front sight and it has a very nice bore and the bolt is in good shape.

When I took the butt plate off of 460942 there was 2 fired cartridge cases in the stock. The have been there a long time. These 3 pics are as I found them and then cleaned up,
Such fascinating firearms, each with there own unique history.

Comments welcomed.  Thanks to the membership for your knowledge and willingness to share.

Best Regards,
Keith

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 3 Brothers and a Cousin
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
How Fun!  Family heirlooms are great.

IP Logged

Todd Doyka