Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Cadet rifle questions (Read 17932 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Cadet rifle questions
Reply #15 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
'broadway':
  A serial number in the 331XXX range indicates this is a Model 1898 Rifle action that someone has put a Carbine barrel on.
  You never mentioned what model of rifle rear-sight is on this imitation 'school rifle'.
  (Attached photos show 1901 and 1902 Carbine sights that were utilized on Philippine Constabulary and School Rifles).

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Seems to me that Brophy and/or Mallory mentioned the use of some M1898 receivers in school guns. I am away from my books now so can't verify.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 3:29am
Print Post  
I believe they expected some Model 1898 Carbines and possibly a few Model 1896 Carbines were altered to 'school rifles'.

IP Logged

broadway
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies, they have been helpful and informative.

The rear sight was a 1901 rifle sight as it was marked to 2000 yards, the hash marks on the side of the base were not to 500, and I could find no "C" anywhere on the sight.

I found in Poyer's book a mention of Rock Island Armory having converted 39(?) 1898 receivers to school guns but the is no mention of where that number came from. That the inspector cartouche has a date on it and there is no indication of RIA having placed their cartouche on it, I doubt this gun is one of these.

A previous owner did scratch either his first name or first initial and last name into the stock which further diminishes it's collectibility. For fun I looked through the yearbook listings of my high school alma mater to see if there was anyone of that name having attended the school but to no avail.

I am very tempted to try Shattuck based on its nearness to the shop. Finding that this rifle came from there would not increase the value to me but it could be a neat story behind the rifle if it ever comes down low enough to purchase. Or if I find an alumnus that has a sense of history in that area.

Again, thanks for all the help on this rifle. I have learned more about Krags in general from this rifle than I knew previously. I guess it comes from having a foundation to build upon. Thanks to this site and the people on it, the foundation is much stronger than what I could have built on my own.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint