Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 norwegen krag rear sight (Read 8533 times)
scottalan1963
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

norwegen krag rear sight
Apr 4th, 2015 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Hello i would like to know if this sight is a norwegen krag sight any books i have does not have the markings in any of my books . Thank You Scott

IP Logged

E.M. Betting
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: norwegen krag rear sight
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 11:54am
Print Post  
do you have a picture?

IP Logged

TCINALASKA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 12:10am
Print Post  

I too have just obtained a Norwegian Krag, but am not sure how to post a photo using the system of buttons above - I'll know when it goes!.  I shot the rifle yesterday and could not figure out for sure how to adjust the windage on the rear sight.  It appears to require having a special two-pronged screwdriver tool to turn the tiny adjusting screw - does this sound right, experts?
In shooting I tried to use up to 20gr of 2400 behind a looong 160gr cast GC bullet.  I got keyholing, worsening above 18 grains.  So I am going to try lower loads from 15 to 18 gr.
Thoughts?   Tongue
Thanks,
tc

IP Logged

TCINALASKA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Re the above post by me, TCINALASKA:

Holy LUTEFISK guys - I guess I did get the picture to post...but a bit huge  Shocked ... I note I can right-click and "VIEW IMAGE" to see it on one page - I'm using Win 8.1 and Outlook from the Office Suite 2013.  I apologize, and admit I need more study.
On shooting this particular long 160gr cast bullet I have not had any result but keyholing in Jap, Italian, Dutch and now (so far) Norwegian 6.5mm rifles - only the Swede 1894 seems to have the tight twist required to stabilize it.  A friend has a mold for a 140gr and I bet that will work better.
Plan to borrow a copy of Brophy's book The Krag Rifle from the local library for help.  I also have a US 1898 Krag and a 1889 Danish to restore and shoot.  Made cartridge cases from 45/70 for the Dane.  As you can see I encourage help/advice, so have at it.   Cheesy
tc

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 4:13am
Print Post  
'TCINALASKA' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

That is a Norwegian rear sight. By its placement on the barrel, your Krag must be a Model 1912 Carbine. The serial number range for "Karabin"s made in 1916 would probably run from #8,752 to #16,678.

Possibly, your 'bullet tumbling' could be a result of poor bore condition. You might want to try some reloads with 139 grain jacketed bullets.

You can make a spanner for your rear sight's windage-adjustment screw by grinding and filing a pair of 'tines' on an old screwdriver tip.

I took the liberty of reducing the size of your photo and I am also attaching a picture of a Model 1912 Carbine.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
I got confused and did not note the original post was by 'scottalan1963'. Hopefully, responses have addressed his 'sight question'.

IP Logged

TCINALASKA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Thanks - and yes it is one of the 1912 versions with serial number just shy of 9840, so an earlier one.  I have obtained a replacement front band/bayonet lug of the one-piece variation, which I understand was a characteristic of the 1912/18 model.  I have some scrap wood, and the middle band w sling swivel, so now am staring at any picture I can find of a 1912 to get the best understanding of the dimensions of the final upper and lower parts of the forend wood - which was "sporterized" away in the past.   Angry
Thanks also for confirming that one adjusts windage only with a spanner that fits - I expect that was to discourage riflemen fooling around with windage if not in a stable environment?   Roll Eyes
And can you explain why the little pin is in the upper part of the barrel between the rear sight and front, why sticks out the upper handguard wood?  Huh

I have a 1916 bayonet/scabbard, and am seeking a replacement sling.

Thanks

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 10:28am
Print Post  
The pin is a stop for the rear sight. If you flip the rear sight all the way over to sit on the post there is a notch on the bottom that is a "battle" sight. Best of luck with your restoration!!!

IP Logged

Bernt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2015 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Hello there... How about some more pics. of your rifle?

The notch you see on the underside when you flip the sight forwards is for 500 meters. This is the point were the trajectories of the old and new ammo meet. The original bullet was called “B – spiss” or “B – prosjektil” (projectile). (spiss means point or "spitzer"). It was a 156 grain roundnosed bullet. Johan Enger of NORMA supplied a new bullet for trials in 1910. (He was one of the brothers who started NORMA in 1894. He was also one of the leaders of the norwegian shooters movement. He had Krags fitted with scopes and set up trials for the army in 1905, wich resulted in a Krag sniper adopted in 1910, 1000 snipers were  made). (You need to Login to view media files and links)
The tests with the new NORMA bullet were very positive, but the long rifles and short carbines got different POI. The development of a "short rifle" started at the same time. The result was the M/12 carbines. The ammo question was postponed until the M/12 was finalized. Then came WWI and things were put on ice again, but finally in 1925 the new round was adopted. The new bullet were called “D-spiss / D-projektil”. It was a 139 grain boattailed spitzer. V0= 750 m/s.
From 1925 and onwards, all sights were modified for the new bullet. The M1912 carbines got that extra notch for the old bullet as well.

IP Logged

TCINALASKA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2015 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Thanks Bernt for the info!  I immediately folded the rear sight forward on to the pin and beheld the 500M aiming notch!  Grin
I tried to take a bunch more photos as well with mixed results; I sincerely hope they display in a reasonable size.  The long photo shows what I got for just under $400US.  It is a neat and pretty carbine weighing just under 7 3/4 Lb and I can see the attraction in "sporterizing" these. 
I was able to locate a friend who sold me his stash of replacement parts for $200 - they are shown and so now I have an extra Butt Plate (Carbine plates had no trap door?  Would they be worth more than rifle Butt plates you think?). I also have an extra rear sling swivel and cross-screw, shown.  The bullets are a 140, 160, and a 190 gr cast bullets.  So far I have not had much luck with the 160 except in a Swedish Mauser.   Cry  I have great hopes for the 140, but not much for that 190, which was a gift.
There are shots of the left side, the top of the receiver and sight, and front sight. What welse can you share about this rifle? Would you also know about the 1916 bayonet - I can photograph that as well.   Cheesy

IP Logged

TCINALASKA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2015 at 9:17am
Print Post  
??Only one of the photos came thru - here are others...maybe.

IP Logged

TCINALASKA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2015 at 9:20am
Print Post  
More pics

IP Logged

TCINALASKA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!