Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Need help identifying Krag (Read 3001 times)
halvy64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Need help identifying Krag
Jul 2nd, 2015 at 12:56am
Print Post  
I found a Model 1898 Krag in my attic during a renovation. I need help identifying it.

From what I have found, I'm assuming it was a M1898 rifle modified to look like a carbine. It has an 1896 rear sight. It is 43.25 in from the butt of the stock to the tip of the barrel. It is also 23.25 in from the tip of the barrel to the receiver. It is missing the top hand guard and that is about all I could figure out about it. If anyone has any more information, I'd greatly appreciate it.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Need help identifying Krag
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 3:16am
Print Post  
'halvy64': Welcome to the KCA Forum. Nice item to find during a house renovation! (There has to be an interesting story there).

Your 'new' rifle is indeed a U.S. model 1898 Krag rifle that has had its (originally 30") barrel and stock forearm shortened. The original front-sight base has been re-attached to the cut-down barrel. The Rifle rear-sight is the model 1896 sight. The changes to your rifle were probably done to make it more appropriate for Hunting. The stock has been sanded and thinned down. The brass wood screw in front of the 'circled P' (function proof mark) is probably a repair for a wrist crack.

Krag rifle, #267040, would have been assembled around May to July of 1900. In its current state, it is worth about $250-300. It would be a fun shooter and useful for Hunting (.30-40 Krag caliber). Hopefully the bore is in good condition. Remodeled Krags do not sell very well. Collectors want Krags to be as issued.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum, and the wonderful world of Krags.  You're among good company here.

That's a very nice looking sporter you have there... much nicer than some of our "Bubba" modifications!  It should be a very nice shooter, and useful should you decide to hunt with it.  Back 75 years ago or so, these were the hunting rifle of choice, and still are for some of us.

IP Logged

halvy64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen, I can't thank you enough for your quick responses and insightful information!

The find story goes, I was pulling up the sheeting in the attic above what used to be an outside porch. This little beauty was in a plastic sleeve tucked in between the rafters. Whoever put it there, had to have placed it and then sheeted over it.

I'm originally from the great state of Wyoming, but currently reside in Pennsylvania. I grew up elk, deer and antelope hunting out there and had yet bring my rifle back to PA. Now I have one that I can take out in the field!

I'm going to be taking it to a gunsmith recommended by a family friend soon and have him go over it to make sure it's in shooting condition. Whoever stashed it away greased the heck out of it so it should hopefully be in pretty good shape.

Thanks again for the info!!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Generally, as Krags go... unless there is excessive headspace, major rust and pitting, or a cracked locking lug on the bolt, you are most likely good to go with a thorough cleaning.  Still, having a gunsmith check it out would be a good idea.  Just make sure he is knowledgeable in Krags (not all are) so he doesn't give you bum info.  Remington and Winchester 30-40 ammo is still available, albeit hard to find sometimes.  Reloading is always a great option with Krags, so I would advise you to save your brass.

There is a plethora of great people here with great help and support, so if you're unsure, just ask.  We'll always steer you in the right direction!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
I would advise careful cleaning of old grease & crud from metal surfaces and bore. I start with Hoppes #9 on cleaning patches. For heavier surface deposits, I wipe the metal (and wood) with mineral spirits on a rag and 'burnish'  dampened metal crud deposits with a popsicle stick. Wood responds well to a wipe down of linseed oil. Once dry, wood likes 'Pledge' furniture polish.

Clean, inspect, and shoot! Don't "REFINISH"! If your Gun Smith advises that, Run Away! Enjoy Patina.

In the old days, the Krag was very popular for Woodland Hunting in Pa., N.Y., Mich., Wisconsin, and many other States. What's not to like? In the late 1920s and 1930s, the DCM sold Krags for $1 and 50 cents, plus postage. (I personally believe, the 'Old Krag-Jorgensen' sold Americans on bolt guns).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint