Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
First Krag and First KCA Forum Post (Read 4221 times)
4284spd
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

First Krag and First KCA Forum Post
Aug 27th, 2015 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Hello,

I just bought this 1898 on Gun Broker on Saturday and it arrived on Tuesday. I know that it started life as a rifle and was cut down,  but I think that there is a good chance that it is a DCM Carbine. The barrel is exactly 22 inches long and the crown is very nicely done. It has a 1905 front sight and a 1901 rear sight. The photos don't do the stock and handguard justice. There is very nice tiger striping and only a very few small knicks. The bluing is probably 90+%. I know that it is a shortened rifle stock (no spring retainer for the band). I have seen conflicting information on whether DCM shortened some rifle stocks or not. Regardless, this one was shortened nicely. The bore is very shiny and bright and the muzzle gauged at just above 0 (maybe 0.2).
Since I was just looking for a non-sporterized, presentable shooter, I am very happy with this one. I have broken down the bolt and cleaned the bore and hope to head to the range on Saturday. The seller included 60 vintage cases including a few FA 06 & 07 and many Western and Remington-UMC marked .30 USA. I have 100 new manufactured Remington rounds, but I am on the lookout for more brass.
I the site did not allow me to post a link to Photobucket on my first post, so I will try to post some later.
It's nice to be on the forum.

IP Logged

4284spd
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: First Krag and First KCA Forum Post
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

For some reason, Multiple images don't work.

IP Logged

4284spd
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 2:13pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

4284spd
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 2:16pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

4284spd
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 2:16pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
'4284spd' - Welcome to the KCA forum. That is a pretty looking 'cut-down' Krag and I'm sure it will perform well for you!

With the absence of paperwork or a DCM sales receipt, there is no way of identifying a (so called) DCM/NRA carbine. With parts and a Lathe, any competent Machinist could make a 'look-alike'.

It appears to me, from your photos, that your Krag has been 'Blued'. It looks quite nice, but, as you probably know, this is not the original metal finish for most of the components.

Your Stock also may have been darkened with stain. The pretty 'Tiger Striping' usually shows up on the Italian walnut Stocks that appeared on some Krags from 1899-1901. (The Italian wood usually has a light yellow coloring).

It appears you have a nice 1899 carbine hand-guard with the protective 'hump'. Does your 1901 rear-sight have rifle (20=2,000 yds) or carbine (23=2,300 yds) markings?

IP Logged

4284spd
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 3:06am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Aug 27th, 2015 at 10:18pm:
'4284spd' - Welcome to the KCA forum. That is a pretty looking 'cut-down' Krag and I'm sure it will perform well for you!

With the absence of paperwork or a DCM sales receipt, there is no way of identifying a (so called) DCM/NRA carbine. With parts and a Lathe, any competent Machinist could make a 'look-alike'.

It appears to me, from your photos, that your Krag has been 'Blued'. It looks quite nice, but, as you probably know, this is not the original metal finish for most of the components.

Your Stock also may have been darkened with stain. The pretty 'Tiger Striping' usually shows up on the Italian walnut Stocks that appeared on some Krags from 1899-1901. (The Italian wood usually has a light yellow coloring).

It appears you have a nice 1899 carbine hand-guard with the protective 'hump'. Does your 1901 rear-sight have rifle (20=2,000 yds) or carbine (23=2,300 yds) markings?

Yes, I know that there may be no way of verifying whether or not it is an actual DCM carbine, but the work on the barrel and stock is not crudely done, so I don't think that it is a Bannerman. Due to the lack of wear, I also assumed that it had been re-finished at some point, but since I didn't pay anything like original, unrestored type money for it, I am OK with it.
The sight is a rifle sight. It only goes up to 2000 yards. But it is in beautiful condition, and the 1899 hand guard is in very nice shape. I will try to post a picture of them.
I believe that I read that the receivers were originally color case hardened. What were some of the other original finishes?
I'm just curious and information on these rifles is not easy to come by.
I wanted a presentable, good shooter that was more military than sporter in appearance. This rifle fits that description and I am more than happy with it.
Thanks for your response.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 4:41am
Print Post  
'4284spd' - I was definitely not trying to nitpick your very nice 'cut-down' Krag. That will be a fun rifle to take to the Range or use for 'Hunting'. (That is a gorgeous 1899 hand-guard on it)!

The Armory finish on Krag receivers, case hardened colors, was relatively fragile and with wear and time seems to go to a 'faded blue' or 'silvery sheen'. I am attaching some photos showing receivers that range from strong case-colors to a worn patina. Many Krags did go back to Springfield for rebuild or refurbishment. Some of these probably can have an almost 'blued' appearance.

IP Logged

4284spd
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2015 at 1:16am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Aug 28th, 2015 at 4:41am:
'4284spd' - I was definitely not trying to nitpick your very nice 'cut-down' Krag. That will be a fun rifle to take to the Range or use for 'Hunting'. (That is a gorgeous 1899 hand-guard on it)!

I didn't mean to sound defensive and I didn't take your comments as nit picks. Thanks for the kind words, good information and excellent photos.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint