Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 The good, the bad, and the ugly (Read 8500 times)
reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: The good, the bad, and the ugly
Reply #15 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 6:06am
Print Post  
An after market stock which might have been labeled "superior" or some such?  I think the major makers all sold higher than average wood for a premium.  Stoeger's sold some really nice stocks marked "Peerless".  Maybe they had other grades also.  My bet is that the carving dates from the 1930s.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #16 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
I'd go ahead and make up the faux BoOF for fun, if you want to. There will be enough "wrong" with it that no one would be fooled in a future sale. You can actually have the best of both worlds by keeping the sporter stock, as well, to use for hunting.

Whatever you do to the front sight will work just as well as the abortion that was on there, so you are really not losing anything.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Is the distance between the upper band and the muzzle the same on the BoOF the same as for a regular rifle?  Was a bayonet used?

IP Logged

MPF
KCA Forum Member

Can dead men vote twice
at Easter?

Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Not to beat a dead horse but…..I cleaned the barrel with #9 and went over it very lightly with 0000 steel wool, and took a few more pic's.  I don't see the remnants of a notched flat on the barrel for a front sight.  chalk line is for reference.  Hopefully I can get an '03 sight to cover what looks like a hacksaw mark without having it  down the barrel too far.

Thank you to everyone for their comments and suggestions. 
Per Dick's suggestion I am thinking of making the faux BoOF.  Where else am I going to get a 26" barrel, and a good ballpark s/n.  But I can't use the existing stock for anything except to keep the action from being damaged.  I am a left handed-shooter.  Watch for it coming to an eBay auction near you, unless someone wants to jump to the head of the line on this beauty and make me an offer…………….anyone?….oh Well!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #19 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
reincarnated wrote on Mar 23rd, 2016 at 4:01pm:
Is the distance between the upper band and the muzzle the same on the BoOF the same as for a regular rifle?  Was a bayonet used?

Yes, the spacing was identical - everything was just moved 4" back. While the stocks were made new, everything else was reworked. They did not NEED to test the bayonet, but it seems that at least some were made up. A couple (literally) have shown up with slightly larger holes and a "26" stamped on the cross-guard. Joe Farmer got one with his (very high condition) rifle but has VERY wisely refused to show a picture of the marking.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I've got a barrel with some of those pin slots, and noted that at one time various outfits were threading what they referred to as ordnance barrels, for the Krags.  I'm assuming they were machine gun barrels, for the most part.  Maybe BAR barrels too.  As long as it was .30 cal, it was probably fair game.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #21 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

I suspect one photo shows the outline of an original armory front sight base still brazed in position but cut down, contoured, and finished to match the barrel. Polish the area a bit more with fine steel wool and the braze line may become apparent - as in this intact example on my '98 rifle:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
MPF, you did a very good job in cleaning off that solder and leaving the bluing. I would not have thought it could be done.
It does look like at least 2 different people did the work on your Krag. The person that did the soldering could not have been the person that did the fitting and carving on the stock.
I have read an old gunsmithing book were the author describes how to get the style of crown you have with hand tools and I know I could do it. The crown you have was blued after the work was finished. In your photos it almost looks like there are remnants of the factory sight underneath the bluing. If you will be covering up the saw cut anyway looking under the bluing for ButlersRanger's  brazing will not hurt anything.
I still could see this going either way, a nicely done hand finished crown or the SA conversion that was covered up.

Added Info. I just looked at my grandfather's old original 98 and the bluing covers the brazing. It was done so well I had always thought the barrel and sight were one piece. There is a very slight difference in the bluing on the brazing, now that I know what to look for.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint