Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Best of the day (Read 3409 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Best of the day
Mar 24th, 2016 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Managed to get out for awhile today.  The best 100yd group of the day came from an odd bullet for a Krag.  Federal's 130gr OTM bullet for the 7.62x51.  I snatched up 250 of them a while back when Midway had them on sale.  I tried several loads, but my recently rebarreled 92/96 seemed to like the 40.4 charge of 3031 that I tried.  According to my Hornady handbook, that should yield around 2750fps.  So, the Springields shouldn't have a big advantage in time of flight to 200yds in the Roosevelt match.  I tried bigger loads of slower powders, but as I've noticed before, seems this rifle doesn't like loads much over 40gr for some reason.  I seated the bullets to the bottom crimp groove, and loaded a few uncrimped to compare.  Crimped shot better, but I have to note that they were trimmed to perfection before crimping and it really wasn't much of crimp, just enough to turn in the 10 degree bevel I put inside the case mouth.  I had some cases that were over length and I trimmed them all to max length before loading, so the crimp, applied with a Lee factory crimp die, was very uniform.  Keeps them from telescoping should that big hollowpoint hang up somewhere while feeding.  The old 92/96 does feed them though.  I also had some loads using the Hornady 150gr FMJBT.  None of them shot as as good as the Mk 319 bullet.  That's 5 shots pictured, the space between two holes tore, makes it look like 6.  Same charge of Accurate 2015 shot about the same as the 3031.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Best of the day
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
I was checking out the brass today.  Part of the reason for better accuracy with the crimped load was the crimp doesn't expand to full chamber neck diameter.  There's still a little tension on the bullet if I insert one with my fingers.  Probably pretty important for this stubby bullet.  The case isn't being pinched by the throat either.  I trimmed them to max length, they're still about the same length.  Uncrimped max length cases blew out to the full neck diameter, maybe allowing the bullet to tilt a bit as it takes the rifling, or a bit before since the bullet is so short.  Anyway, it appears the crimp keeps the bullet straight for a greater amount of time.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Best of the day
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
My odd ball Krag bullet got a bit Krag friendlier today.  I found I had an extended ram that allowed me to run the bullets up into a Krag seating die, through said die and into a Lyman 329 top punch for the 308329 cast spitzer.  That reduced the meplat by about .030", without otherwise changing the bullet.  Let the ram cam over, easy little swaging job.  The hollowpoint was snagging at 7 o'clock on the chamber edge, but now the rounds feed through my 92/96 like the proverbial greased lighting!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
I got out yesterday to try a couple different combinations.  Just out of curiosity I loaded five each of two different lengths.  One group using the upper crimp groove, one the lower.  OAL with the rounds crimped in the top groove is 2.985" and the OAL with the crimp in the lower groove is 3.085".  Feeds them just as slick with either length. There was no difference in overall group size, but it appeared the deeper seated rounds were more consistent, the shots between the extremes were closer together.  Perhaps with this hard copper being what is taking the lands, a bit of a run at the rifling is a better thing?  With a case trimmed to the proper length, the bullet is just barely in the case mouth when the ogive hits the throat.  With the bullet crimped in the upper groove, that makes for a full 1/4" jump, but it appears to like it that way!  I have some SPP210 powder that Wideners sold cheap a long time ago.  After a bunch of digging around I found it is likely Vectan TU2000.  That, in turn, burns approx 4198 speed.  Max load of 33gr.  With a 30" barrel, velocity should still be up around 2700fps.  Very clean burning powder with not much gas pressure left to blow out the muzzle, sorta snappy.  Center round was seated using the rifle, with the bullet in the throat.  Measured center to center on the black lines, squares are only .930".

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Best of the day, More short bullet fun.
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
I went to range the day before yesterday only to find I'd forgotten to pack the 130gr loads I wanted to test.  Luckily I also took my .310 bored 92/96 along, and had some loads using the 123gr .310 diameter Hornady V-Max bullet.  So, it wasn't a totally wasted trip.  I'm having a hard time using my right eye, I see up and down doubles of the bull!  But I got that figured out, the top one is the ghost!  Not the greatest group in the world.  I was fiddling with the sight while shooting.  Still not too shabby.  I used 28.5gr of IMR4227.  The rifle has a sharp crack to the report, rather than a boom, with this load!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 10:33am
Print Post  
That looks like a solid 96 in anyone's book!!!

Well done Grasshopper!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint