Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1896 Krag Rough Rider carbine (Read 3063 times)
langseth
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Krag Rough Rider carbine
May 11th, 2016 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
I have a 1896 Springfield carbine ser# 28003 in my safe for over 30 years. I starting to sell my collection and did not realize the serial number was in the Rough Rider group of firearms. In fact, its only 1 number off from the carbine issued to 1st USV Cavalry company G to Trooper Grant Travis. Markings are all matching info on 1896 carbines I have checked w/o model wording before 1895 date on receiver, 22" brl 1897 cartouche, P mark behind trigger guard, "C" marked rear sight with barrel band sight protector and oiler trap in butt plate . The only issue is that either by accident or on purpose, someone has ground off the U.S. stamp on the receiver. Does anyone know why someone would remove the US markings above the Springfield Armory lettering?

IP Logged

Galvinator77
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Krag Rough Rider carbine
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2016 at 12:19am
Print Post  
I have seen it several times w/ other surplus US firearms.  Usually when they were "dufflebag" removals from Government ownership.  Some people think that removing the US Property marks would be less suspicious, or make people think they were civilian firearms.  But then they leave the serial number alone.

HTH's, Mark

IP Logged

langseth
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Krag Rough Rider carbine
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2016 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Then the collector value change dramatically? When I purchased it years ago, I did not think it mattered very much.

Galvinator77 wrote on May 12th, 2016 at 12:19am:
I have seen it several times w/ other surplus US firearms.  Usually when they were "dufflebag" removals from Government ownership.  Some people think that removing the US Property marks would be less suspicious, or make people think they were civilian firearms.  But then they leave the serial number alone.

HTH's, Mark

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint