Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 1898 Krag stock (Read 6588 times)
Big Mike
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 Krag stock
May 19th, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Hi All, I just recently purchased a pristine 1898 Krag & had it shipped to my FFL. The rifle arrived with a broken stock courtesy of the shipping company.  Angry A claim has been filed for damages but in the meantime I am going to need to locate a replacement stock. Can anyone give me some info on where I might can get one?  Thanks, Mike

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Krag stock
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2016 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Repair the stock!  You can use structural epoxy with some dowels added for strength... and done correctly, will be practically undetectable and probably last another hundred years!

IP Logged

Big Mike
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2016 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
What kind of structural epoxy? A 2 part? Any particular brand?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2016 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
A 2-part epoxy would be best.  I would stay away from Gorilla glue, as that can expand within the grain and cause problems.  I repaired my cracked stock last year, and posted the effort on here.  Here's a link to the thread:  (You need to Login to view media files and links); If you look, you'll see a picture of the epoxy I used, which should be available from any woodworkers (were I got it) or marine/boat store.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2016 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
If the primary concern is strength (for shooting) epoxy will provide a very strong bond. It will, however, leave a visible glue line for all to see.

If a less conspicuous joint is desired, the best choice is old-fashioned hot hide glue (the kind used by luthiers to make invisible repairs on high-value fiddles). It's very strong in shear, but is brittle and can fail under tensile impact (like using your Krag to deliver a horizontal butt-stroke). Thin cyanoacrilate ("Super Glue") is almost as inconspicuous and somewhat stronger, but still not fully impact-resistant.

Any wrist repair of this nature can be made much stronger by boring a blind hole back from the receiver inletting after the initial repair has set completely. A walnut dowel is then fitted to the hole and epoxied in place, providing mechanical strength as well as significant added bonding surface. (The dowel must ordinarily be scored or fluted before final insertion to allow air and excess glue to escape from the blind hole.)

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Once the glue has set, the exposed end of the dowel is carved to match the original inletting.

IP Logged

MPF
KCA Forum Member

Can dead men vote twice
at Easter?

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2016 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
As to your original question.  I would try watch Gunbroker and Ebay.  I think there is one on eBay now.  Some of the veterans on the group might have other sources for stocks.  Just don't let the freight company off the hook by letting them pay you for the cost of a newly produced replacement stock. 

If the shipping company is going to foot the bill I would find a replacement stock.  Then repair this one as a project.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2016 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Look in the classified stickies, two KCA founding members offer original parts for sale and might have a stock or a lead on one!!!

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2016 at 12:27am
Print Post  
I have a very large collector in my area and I will check with him for you and see if he has anything or a line on a stock. I just went through his last lot of acquisitions and picked up two 1887 slings, an absolute gem of an early 1895 bayonet, and a muzzle cover and didn't see any stocks or even handguards for that matter. He hits several gun shows and buys out many private collections so he is always bringing in new inventory. Furthermore my sincerest condolences and apologies for your predicament! That must have been absolutely miserable to open the box and see that. I'm truly sorry partner.

YouTube  
IP Logged

Big Mike
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2016 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Absolutely sickening to be honest. I thought that I was gonna puke on the spot.  Cry

IP Logged

craigster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2016 at 3:46am
Print Post  
Titebond III wood glue. Good luck with your damage claim, you'll probably need it.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2016 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Unfortunately, any stock you would purchase via Gunbroker or EBay is not going to measure up to (what appears to be in the photos) an absolutely beautiful stock!  However, I agree with replacing it temporarily while making good, solid repairs to the original.  That way, you can take her out and give her a little dance!  Also unfortunately, any stock... whether new reproduction, or old used from someone, is not going to be cheap!  As Ned said... check the classifieds first.  Antique arms shows might also be a good place to look.  I did see one recently on EBay, but I can not verify the quality... or whether it's still there or not.

As an addendum...  I will say that repairing my cracked stock took me about a week, working a few hours a night.  However, my stock was merely cracked, and not broke right through.  Also, this is NOT the first time I've heard of this happening with a shipping company!

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Stocks broken like that are not limited to Krags or even to military rifles.  Long ago, a friend's British sporting rifle, a Magnum Mauser in .404 Jeffery, broke in a similar manner.  The same treatment as recommended here was used to repair the rifle.  Upon completion, I could not see any trace of the breaks.  The rifle was fired with full power loads afterward with no damage.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2016 at 3:50am
Print Post  
I received one broken like that!  I think somewhere in the PO system there's a guy who has the job of stepping on a box suspected of having a gun in it.  The box is supported at each end and the fellow is pretty heavy!  I made a claim for mine with the PO, they wanted the whole gun at the PO!  I finished the claim online for the collector value destroyed, got the whole $500 I paid for the rifle!  I kept the rifle and put it a different stock that was easier to repair, just cracked, not broken in two.  I use Brownell's Accraglas.  Regular if I'm going inject into a crack, the gel to spread around without running.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint