Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Remodeled Norwegian Navy model (Read 10819 times)
brionic
KCA Forum Member

Remodeled Norwegian Navy model
Aug 18th, 2016 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Hello!

I have, en route, a Norwegian Krag on which I hope you can help shed light.

Avert your eyes if you are offended by sporterized weapons!  Barrel appears to have been shortened to 21-22", front sight and stock/hardware have been replaced, etc etc. 

Based on the serial number 4088, matching on the receiver, bolt, and barrel, it appears to be an 1894 Navy issued rifle.  However, the rear sight placement is puzzling, not seeming to match the 94, and close but not exactly a match for the 1912 pattern.  Please advise.

The trigger guard's rear screw is missing, and I assume threading and dressing a Brownells blank to match the original BSW thread is the best bet, based on parts scarcity.  Beyond that, my plan is to shoot as is, before making any decisions. 

Any comments are welcome.  Thanks!

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2016 at 9:24pm by brionic »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Remodeled Norwegian Navy model
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
I sure would not like to see anyone butcher an original Krag, but a sporter that is already done can be a thing of beauty as well as a good shooter. Hope yours is both when you get it in your hands.
A sporter can also align well with your eye when you snatch it up to shoot and that is another bonus. I dispatched a pit bull with less than a second to spare that was mauling wild life on our place.
More pictures please when you get it.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 1:31am
Print Post  
I believe that US screws will work. If I can remember I will check over the weekend. I think that the rear sight has just been moved back, it also appears that some filing has been done around the sighting notch.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Must've belonged to the same fellow who butchered an 1898 carbine sight that I have, very much like yours has been.  Guess he wanted the rear sight to  be only be as wide as a sporting rifle's.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2016 at 5:04pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

brionic
KCA Forum Member

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Yes, that's unfortunate.  The upside is rear sights seems to be one of the few Norgie parts that is relatively inexpensive to replace.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I was mistaken about the screws. The US rear trigger guard screw will work in the Dane, though it is slightly shorter and the head is slightly thinner.

IP Logged

brionic
KCA Forum Member

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Thx for the update.  Gleaning info here and elsewhere, it seems the missing rear trigger guard screw should be 1 1/2" long, 1/4" bore, Whitworth standared (obsolete) 20tpi, with a 1/3" "cheesehead" slotted head.

Some of the rifles or carbines used a countersunk head instead.

Apparently the current UN coarse 20tpi thread is close enough, although at a slightly different pitch, to be workable.  We'll see whether this is true or retapping (ugh) is a better solution.

Either way, threading and dressing a blank seems like it's happening, one way or another.

I found a NY-based firm that deals with old Brit standard fasteners, so I'll contact them this week, seeking additional guidance.

IP Logged

brionic
KCA Forum Member

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Argh.  Still waiting.  Drumming my fingers.

I did find a source for 1/4" whitworth screws in a variety of  lengths, but they are stainless.  How to wrap my head around that is a different question.

I'm wondering whether a Redfield 102 will work on the Norgie - - the magazine sideplate screw and a suitable, longer replacement being flies in the ointment.  I suppose we'll need to look into that when the rifle is in hand.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 4:20am
Print Post  
Can't see a 102 working on the Norwegian, as the sideplate fastens up differently vs a US. But a Pacific might.  Otherwise, I think you'd have to drill and tap the other side for a Lyman 57, Williams, or one of the Norwegian made sights.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
FWIW: I don't believe any of the 'No-Drill' sights that Redfield or Pacific made will work on a Norwegian Krag, without drastic modifications to the sight, receiver, or both.

Redfield did make a sight for the Norwegian Krag, but, it required drilling & tapping. I believe it is quite rare.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:44am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

brionic
KCA Forum Member

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Interesting.  Thank you.

I'm darn sure I don't want to alter the receiver, so I'd rather modify a receiver base.  I suppose that will be somewhere further down the list.

I have collet dies, Lapua brass, and 140gr bullets en route.  But loading ammo will also be further down the list, behind affixing the trigger guard, inspecting the action, thoroughly cleaning and inspecting the barrel and the whole shebang, and running some dummies. 

But I want it NOW.   Cheesy

Thanks for your suggestions.  I'm sure to have plenty more questions.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 12:38am
Print Post  
In regard to replacement trigger-guard screw/bolt:

You might try a well equipped hardware store and check their Metric Allen-head bolts.

I needed a rear action bolt for a French Berthier rifle.

My local hardware store has bins of machine screws and bolts, inch and metric.

I found a metric Allen-head bolt with the correct diameter and thread. I just had to cut it to proper length and reduced the Head diameter by 'Chucking' the shank in my power-drill and Filing the Head as it turned.

(I suspect the Norwegians were not using British/inch threads).

IP Logged

brionic
KCA Forum Member

Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2016 at 1:51am
Print Post  
OK, I have the rifle in house.  I have given it a once-twice-three times over.

I'm pleased, to say the least.  What a beautiful, refined action - the machining and scalloping exhibit the type of old world craftsmanship that make me want to do a somersault, if I wouldn't throw out my back, of course.  The overall appearance is a bit slinkier than my US Krag.  The magazine door and magazine opening are a real delight.

I see now what you were saying about the minor differences making no drill sights a non starter.  I'll have time to consider my options.  However, the modified rear, as is, will be a little better than useless to me - the grinding not only destroyed the part, but ruined the sight picture. 

The barrel is of heavy profile than I expected.  The narrow bore ( Wink ) is bright, and the grooves look to be in good shape.  We'll see how it looks after Wipe-Out and a good scrubbing.

The trigger guard screws.  Ach.  The front action screw looks original, and semi buggered.  I can live with it.  The front trigger guard screw, though... looks like a replacement.  The contour doesn't fit the bottom of the action, and I fear that the threading may be unoriginal.  We'll see  when I get it apart. 

The Bishop stock is interesting... not bad, really, decent lines,  but overly thick in the forearm, and both steep and fat in the grip.  These issues could be improved down the line.  The magazine sideplate relief, though, is, ummm, adequate, but lacks any visible evidence of fitting.  The lines are straight, but the wood stands proud from the metal.  I suppose the stock was designed for the US Krag, and the narrower Norgie sideplate just isn't a good match.  All that aside, the stock is adequate and certainly less offensive than a butchered military stock.  It points to the left for me when shouldered.

After I get the rifle apart, inspected, cleaned, and greased, I will follow up.  Thx for all your comments.  I am a cautiously happy camper.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2016 at 10:49am by brionic »  

IP Logged

brionic
KCA Forum Member

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2016 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Wipe-Out in progress.  I'm astonished by the volume of copper fouling and lead coming out of a "clean" barrel.  One more foam/wipe cycle, then I'll brush it.

IP Logged

brionic
KCA Forum Member

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 12:05am
Print Post  
1/4"x 1 1/2" BSW screws arrived today.  Threads are a go!

They (one) will need to be shortened by a cm or so, and the screw head dressed, to match the trigger guard.  I purchased one cheesehead and one fillister; we'll see which works better.  Also have a die in case the machinist wants to start from a Brownells blank. 

Either way, progress has been made.

In to the 'smith tomorrow for the "physical" while I sort through sighting options.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint