Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Remodeled Norwegian Navy model (Read 10821 times)
brionic
KCA Forum Member

Re: Remodeled Norwegian Navy model
Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Recognizing that a Redfield 70NK is probably unobtainable, and unwilling to shell out $$$ for one of the Hauges diopters, I purchased a Lyman 33K online for $74.  I'm probably taking a flyer on it.  If it doesn't fit the Norwegian, we'll see about fitting it to the shorty US sporter.

Also, my new collet dies turned out to be a .17 Hornet trim die.  Oops.  New dies en route, again.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 4:15am
Print Post  
If you bought the Lyman #33, I noticed on ebay, $74 was a nice price. The sight appears new in its original box.

The model 33/34 Lyman sight requires the removal of wood between the Krag's side-plate and magazine cut-off lever, cutting off part of the side-plate, in addition to, drilling & tapping the receiver.

The contour of the left-side of the Norwegian receiver is different than the U.S. Krag and likely to be a problem. Possibly a shaped 'spacer' could serve as an adapter.

(picture of the Lyman sight sold on ebay, as well as, some pictures of the sight installed on U.S. Krags):

IP Logged

brionic
KCA Forum Member

Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Excellent info.  Thx. 

Yes, that was the one I nabbed.  I'm curious to examine it.  I figured for that price, in that condition, I couldn't go wrong and can resell later if needed.   

A machinist friend with a fondness for Krags may be dragged into this project before long.

IP Logged

brionic
KCA Forum Member

Reply #18 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 2:00am
Print Post  
The rifle has been pronounced operational by the local gunsmith.  Headspace is fine, action is sound.  He complimented my cleaning job, and taste in rifles.   Wink

He also did a "practical" job of fitting the replacement rear trigger guard screw.  It still stands a fractional mm proud from the stock, but it's OK for now.  Down the line, I plan to thin the stock anyway, so there's no sense in sweating the details until later. 

So, if I get my "assignments" done this weekend, I hope to load a few short runs of ammunition using 140gr bullets with 4350 and RL19 or 22.

Also, the new/old Lyman 33 arrived, and it is like new in box.  Nifty little sight - the fold down aperture is a fine touch. 

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
If the 33 doesn't work, one fellow who had a Norwegian in .308 solved his sight problem by finding a Rice peep sight.  Wouldn't take much for a fellow to make one of those if he had the dimensions.

IP Logged

brionic
KCA Forum Member

Reply #20 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
An improved version of the Rice sight would be appealing.

I notice there are (2) Williams sights for the Norwegian Krag on Ebay right now, but I prefer a steel sight.  Still, ...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
The Williams' sight is nicer than the sheet-metal Rice, but, it requires drilling & tapping (on the Right-Side of the receiver).
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2016 at 4:33am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint