Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag Single Row Cartridge Belt Help (Read 2345 times)
Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Single Row Cartridge Belt Help
Oct 10th, 2016 at 12:49am
Print Post  
A couple months back, I acquired an unidentified Krag cartridge belt for my collection. I'm looking for some help to identify what this model is. It may be original or manufactured for a military school or just a good reproduction.

The belt is the correct size and weight material and blue color when compared to other double row Mills belts in the collection. The loops are woven into the belt like the Mills type manufacture. They are not sewn on loops. The brass keepers and C closure are lighter weight than other Mills belts. But similar hardware size to the Spaulding tan belt models. And the belt ends simply fold over and have a simple sewn or hemmed edge. No identifying marks on the hardware or belt.

Please take a look. It won't hurt my feelings if it is a reproduction. It was buried in the bottom of a miscellaneous box lot at a local auction and I didn't pay too much. What a surprise. Thanks.

Jeff , The Caterpillar Man

IP Logged

Jim Teague
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Single Row Cartridge Belt Help
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
I have one just like it but had to add a reproduction buckle. I don't know what year they went to blue.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 12:36am
Print Post  
I'm guessing that if it is Mills weave, it is original. I cannot see any repro company investing in the complex equipment required to make such an item.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Jeff: I believe your khaki belt with the sewn on cartridge loops and riveted 'end-plates' (with 'closed' wire-bails), is actually a Hurburt manufactured cartridge belt.

From my understanding, Spaulding belts were lighter canvas with sewn on cartridge loops and the cut ends were protected with a sewn on leather 'beading'.

As Dick Hosmer suggests, the 'woven' cartridge loops were a patented/proprietary process owned by Mills and only used by them.

Of course, reproduction belts started being made in the late 1950s and some of these may have had woven loops.

FWIW - The fading of your blue belt looks pretty correct for an original Mills belt.

I have a Hurlburt, 50-round 'sewn-on-loop', .30-40 belt that started life as a khaki belt and was later Dyed blue. It has faded to a 'purplish - blue'. On the back, in black ink stenciled lettering, it is marked: "Co. M 2nd N.Y. 99". It is also stenciled "34" in white paint, which possibly could be a Michigan regimental number applied after Dying.

This belt has the unmarked riveted end plates, with 'closed wire bails'. There are two heavy sheet brass keepers to keep the belt neat and flat. The belt is buckled with a heavy wire "C" closure.

The color (and time period) of U.S. canvas belts is a bit of a mystery to me.

FWIW - From my viewing of Michigan unit pictures:

I notice khaki, '45-loop' (.45-70 belts), in the photos of the five Michigan regiments assembled in 1898 at Island Lake, Brighton, Michigan, to be sworn in for Federal service.

In the 1899-1903 period, Michigan troops have model 1899 Remington-Lee rifles. Their Mills belts are dark blue with special pockets for spare Lee magazines, as well as, cartridge loops. (It is possible blue Dyed belts were also in use for uniformity).

Family pictures I have, from around 1903-04, show Michigan Guardsmen with khaki .30-40 belts and Krag rifles.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint