Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
 25 KRAG BRASS (Read 22701 times)
RichWIS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

KRAG BRASS
Dec 10th, 2016 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Graf's has Krag Brass, 84 cents each, less in larger quantities.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: KRAG BRASS
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

AzMedic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: KRAG BRASS (Graf's - Manufacturer?)
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 5:07am
Print Post  
Do you think the manufacturer is Starline Brass?

I noticed a facebook post stating Starline produced their first 'necked' cases that was posted on Graf's FB page on Oct 5....  thoughts??

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
I doubt it's Starline.  They only recently started with a single case... and based on an email I received, I don't think they'll be interested in Krag brass because it will never hit the quantity that they would for 5.56 or 7.62. 

My guess is that it's PRVI since they make all of Graf's brass, and they already made .303.

IP Logged

polska
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Grafs already out. That was fast,hope everyone got some.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Hopefully, the right people took notice of how much sold, and how fast it sold.  Maybe now, we'll see an increase in manufacture from Remington... and maybe PRVI will start manufacture under their name as well!

IP Logged

JimW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Says made in USA? Can't think that's PRVI.

IP Logged

BM1455
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Received my 200 today.  Just a quick look at a few of the cases.
They say Graf / 30-40 Krag on them. 
They do not look like Remington or Winchester cases. 
I threw them into my Wilson case gauge and found that they were a little bit long in the shoulder.  Since you should run them through the resize dies anyways as the necks are not perfectly round due to packaging, this gives you an opportunity to bump the shoulder back into speck.  Contrast this to some old Winchester un-fired cases I have where they are quite a bit short in the case gauge right from the factory.  No way to bump those forward so you just fire form those when you shoot them.  So this stuff from Grafs should cause less stretching in the case head area than the Winchester or Remington brass when you fire it for the first time.  (I have noticed that my Remington fired brass gets a little distortion in this area at the first firing.  The Winchester brass does not show this as much but I have to think it is stretching there a bit too since it gauges a bit short.)  So, maybe a good thing?  Less wear on that part of the case with the Graf cases?
Comments?

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Didn't have any extra money when needed to buy from Grafs, so I'm still working on converting my .303 blanks.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I hope cartridge manufacturers take note that Graf's apparently sold 25,000 (.30-40 cases) in less than two days.

IMHO - If more makers are supplying .30-40 brass and the supply becomes stable, it would eliminate hoarding, anxiety, uncertainty and probably normalize (lower) the price.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
It'd be great if they all took notice!  I think some have purchased the brass and immediately placed it on GB for profit (some people have no scruples).  I suspect that this won't be the last Graf's offers, and after how much and how fast it went, I'm betting sooner than later!

IP Logged

BM1455
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 2:57am
Print Post  
BM1455 wrote on Dec 16th, 2016 at 6:31pm:
Received my 200 today.  Just a quick look at a few of the cases.
They say Graf / 30-40 Krag on them. 
They do not look like Remington or Winchester cases. 
I threw them into my Wilson case gauge and found that they were a little bit long in the shoulder.  Since you should run them through the resize dies anyways as the necks are not perfectly round due to packaging, this gives you an opportunity to bump the shoulder back into speck.  Contrast this to some old Winchester un-fired cases I have where they are quite a bit short in the case gauge right from the factory.  No way to bump those forward so you just fire form those when you shoot them.  So this stuff from Grafs should cause less stretching in the case head area than the Winchester or Remington brass when you fire it for the first time.  (I have noticed that my Remington fired brass gets a little distortion in this area at the first firing.  The Winchester brass does not show this as much but I have to think it is stretching there a bit too since it gauges a bit short.)  So, maybe a good thing?  Less wear on that part of the case with the Graf cases?
Comments?

Replying to my own post here.
A little more quick comparison of the Graf cases to Remington and Winchester cases I have here.  I weighed one of each.  I resized and bumped the shoulder on the Grafs back to where it should be and ran it through my Wilson gauge.  It was now fine. 
As for weights:  The Remington was twice fired and trimmed so it could be slightly lighter than it would have been new.  The Winchester was new and never fired.  All were re-sized and trimmed to re-trim length of 2.304" for equal comparison.
Remington = 158.2 grns.
Winchester = 172.3 grns.
Graf = 182.7 grns.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Hopefully that extra weight equals a nice sturdy case that will take many reloads!

IP Logged

Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Looks like Captec / Jamison made them. Just got back from Europe yesterday and saw a follow up email from them to my previous email:

From the Captec Team

30-40 brass now available exclusively at Graf and Sons.

Sounds like they listened to all the requests we've been putting out. Pretty cool.

Stretch

IP Logged

BM1455
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:44am:
Hopefully that extra weight equals a nice sturdy case that will take many reloads!

Yes.  I was thinking that too.  In theory, The fact that since it is just brass for reloading and not manufactured ammo they seem to be made a bit tight in the Wilson case gauge (Though they chamber just fine in my Krag) it means that if your dies are set up nicely for your own gun the stretching in the head area can be minimized greatly.   For the Krag that is a good place to not over work the brass.  The old un-fired Winchester cases I have seem to have the opposite issue and when put that in the Wilson gauge are quite a bit under length when sitting on the shoulder of the gauge.  So if I am seeing this all the right way we should be able to control our fate on case life better with this brass better than we can with the Winchester and Remington that has more of a head space sort of issue.  Case necks will be the other thing to watch but that cane be treated somewhat with annealing them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint